Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Terry Williams Interview 2013  (Read 23862 times)

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
Re: Terry Williams Interview 2013
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »
Terry pretty much confirms OES was a contractual obligation album thrown together by MK out of necessity - which is exactly what it sounds like.

100% agree
When OES was released, my DS fan friends hated it as "not real DS".
As for me, I was so blown away by the masterpieces on the album (the addictive tittle track, the haunting PONO, the very moving Iron Hand, the erotic YAYF) that I could easily forgive the mistakes (the commercial Heavy Fuel, the too much country orientated songs).
As for the tour, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it was my first time seeing DS live, so I have found memories. Also Mark's guitar playing was the best ever. On the other hand, Mark's bad mood, the lack of keyboards compared to the BIA tour (yes, I love keynoards !) and the overall "over commercialized" feeling put me off. Can't decide whether it was the best or the worst of tours. Probably both. Telegraph road is a good example: most impressive end solo, but that seems like a show off exercise showing no respect for the song: too rushed, no intro, no emotion, obscene amount of pedal steel.
The OES album and tour are a big paradox to me. A mixture of very best and very worst.
I think it's a fantastic album. Honestly I listen to it far more often than BiA. I guess there has to be something wrong with OES since so many people dislike it, but I just don't hear it  :)

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
Argh...what was he about to say about Hal Lindes @ 1:06:48?  :hmm Sounds like it was edited out.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »

I think it's a fantastic album. Honestly I listen to it far more often than BiA. I guess there has to be something wrong with OES since so many people dislike it, but I just don't hear it  :)
[/quote]

I agree and listen to it probably more than any album.  I have always put it down to the fact that it wasn't what people expected from DS with some country influenced songs etc.  I remember when it came out I was very disappointed and wanted to hear songs like ones from the first album again but it wasn't until a few years later that I really grew into it. 

BIA for me was always just an album for the masses; an album full of singles.  The most untypical of DS albums there is.  Still has some great songs on it though!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 09:48:50 PM »
@Pottel: Don't know if you have already fixed the issue. Maybe this is helpful?

From souncloud help:
"Always make sure that your browser and Flash player are updated to the latest versions; if you've installed any flash or ad-blocking plugins in your browser, please add soundcloud.com to the exceptions list in the plugin settings.
Also, always try to reload the page first and double-check using a different browser as in most cases, playback hiccups are only temporary. "

and Safari causes also problems:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5983245?tstart=0
simple as that, thnks ytc!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
Argh...what was he about to say about Hal Lindes @ 1:06:48?  :hmm Sounds like it was edited out.

I agree this part of the interview sounds like it was cut just at the point he was about to talk aboit why Hal departed during the BIA recording. Sounds like the story wasnt heading in a happy direction and Terry, who comes across as a very professional person,  didn't feel it was his place to talk about Hals departure in an interview.  I think we can infer from this though Hals exit may not have been a happy one.

I have now listened to the interview a couple of times.

Like I have said, Terry comes across as a very professional operator in terms of the way he deals with recording scenarios and BIA is no exception.   

In terms of his role in Brothers In Arms, what is clear is that the recording process was essentially a new way of working for all involved. As Terry mentions in the interview, this was the first digital recording made by a band and the Sony digital recorders had to be shipped in from the States.   What is also clear now is that the album was constructed around a 'timecode' or digital 'click track' (ditigal  metronome). This enabled the synthesisers and sequencers (also pretty new at that time), through MIDI to link into the recording process and record in time, and trigger musical events or sequences.

Up to that time, the role of the drummer was to set the tempo for the song. But emerging digital technology could do away with that.  So from what it sounds like, a least some of the album was built 'backwards' with drums being added on after guitars, keyboards etc.    As Terry describes, he hated this approach of playing to a click track.  He was a drummer used to cutting the drums in 'two takes' then walking away.  So for him, the recording process of Brothers in Arms must have been very frustrating indeed.

Whilst he says there was no animosity between him and MK, he must have felt at least a little bruised. Particularly when it was Paul Cummins the tour manager who was givent the task of sending him home (and not MK), and even more so when Omar Hakim stepped off the plane that was taking him home, a drummer who Terry himself had spoken of to MK in recent conversations on the subject of New York jazz.

To me this all seems a little harsh, but as Terry says in the interview 'a lot of people probably wouldn't understand the story'.  We also have to remember that it wasn't just Terry who was replaced for parts on this record.  There are two additional bass guitarists credited on the album, one being Tony Levin (who plays on One World) and the other being Neil Jason (what track does he play on??).  We also know that Hal was replaced by Jack Sonni during these sessions.   So you could argue that even at this stage we are seeing an MK solo production approach.

Later in the interview we hear that after the end of the BIA tour Terry didn't consider himself to be in a band again, only a session drummer.  So he obviously loved his time with Dire Straits, and to me he remains the true drummer of the band in their heyday.

Great interview.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:01:47 PM by the visitor »

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »

I agree and listen to it probably more than any album.  I have always put it down to the fact that it wasn't what people expected from DS with some country influenced songs etc.  I remember when it came out I was very disappointed and wanted to hear songs like ones from the first album again but it wasn't until a few years later that I really grew into it. 

BIA for me was always just an album for the masses; an album full of singles.  The most untypical of DS albums there is.  Still has some great songs on it though!
[/quote]

That makes sense  :) . It's a shame to hear about all the "bad mojo" that seems to have surrounded the recordings of OES though

LoveExpresso

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 06:21:50 PM »

We also have to remember that it wasn't just Terry who was replaced for parts on this record.  There are two additional bass guitarists credited on the album, one being Tony Levin (who plays on One World) and the other being Neil Jason (what track does he play on??).   

If I remember correctly John Illsley broke his arm or wrist because of jogging in Hyde Park (?) and was not able to play the bass guitar?

And Terry also had some nice words about his invitation to the Mandela gig, after the "heydays", and was phoned by Mark directly if I remember the interview right?

LE

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
Also Mark's guitar playing was the best ever.

not sure about that. it's all matter of taste in the end

- his playing was fast ? yes in songs like TR or Sultans, but he played fast in eraly days and Alchemy for example
- his playing was more "technical" ? I find far harder to play things like skateaway riff, or single handed sailor rhyhtm part than solos on heavy fuel, calling elvis and so on
- his playing had improve in old songs ? the riff in setting me upwas ruined since 90 imho. the real groove was in 78-79, and more tricky. the playing in this song during NHB and OES tour was with less taste.
- all that "chicken" picking he played during 78-83 era was ommitted during OES tour. playing in Alchemy is complicated and tastefull at the same time. playing during OES tour si too much technical, and souns sometimes "cold" to me

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »

it has a legendary status, and it made disvover DS music to many people, including me.

I always thought that DS would have become more "cult" if OES hadn't been released (or at least under mark's solo name).

this comeback gave them a bad image in rock music, you know what I mean : the commercial comeback, and it's a shame because it's the last image they gave to the public.

If they had never come back, the band would have reached another status I think, more "estimable" in many people minds, like "the band who split up after BIA, at their peak", with mandela being their last public appareance, not the "band who split up after their last deal with Philips or whatever".

like Herlock, I have mixed feelings about OES tour. It was the first time I saw DS, I expected so much, and I can say "I was there", but in the same time I was disapointed. Sometimes I think that if I never had seen them live, I would have kept a "fantasm" of THE band I love, by listen and watching gigs from LOG and BIA tour. These were the tours I would have loved to be !

I enjoyed my 96 gig far far far more than my 92 one

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »

it has a legendary status, and it made disvover DS music to many people, including me.

I always thought that DS would have become more "cult" if OES hadn't been released (or at least under mark's solo name).

this comeback gave them a bad image in rock music, you know what I mean : the commercial comeback, and it's a shame because it's the last image they gave to the public.

If they had never come back, the band would have reached another status I think, more "estimable" in many people minds, like "the band who split up after BIA, at their peak", with mandela being their last public appareance, not the "band who split up after their last deal with Philips or whatever".

like Herlock, I have mixed feelings about OES tour. It was the first time I saw DS, I expected so much, and I can say "I was there", but in the same time I was disapointed. Sometimes I think that if I never had seen them live, I would have kept a "fantasm" of THE band I love, by listen and watching gigs from LOG and BIA tour. These were the tours I would have loved to be !

I enjoyed my 96 gig far far far more than my 92 one

An interesting few points there and I can fully empathise with you on all of them!

Firstly, BIA was the album that first brought DS to my attention too.  Or perhaps, more accurately the song MFN first of all.  We shouldn't forget just how well OES sold so people must have liked it really.

I remember the 1996 concert pretty well and thought that although I enjoyed it, I didn't think the set worked very well with too much film music slowing down proceedings and the DS one I saw in 1991 was much better (although my memories are quite vague now of that). 

When listening to a '96 bootleg today, how often do you find yourself listening to Last Exit to Brooklyn?  FFW to the start of R&J instead for me.  I also didn't like the band.  Is it just that we're used to the '96ers now but it just clicked with me when I heard that Ed had referred to them as "The Dullards."

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:26 AM »
Calling them "The Dullards" seems to say much more about Ed than about the "pants". They are just musicians after all, they don't have to be great natural scientists nor have to be candidats for the nobel prize..

However, indeed they are "just" musicians - and everytime Mark calls them "best in the world" it is somewhat embarrassing. They never were able to show what they are able to do because they only play their parts.. and, honestly, a band HAS to play great and tight together after they have done all these tracks hundreds of times together. Nobody ever gets the chance to do a real "solo", I mean it is just playing your part. Every top 40 musician or every other studio musician should be able to do it they way they do it. If it was for fun, I would laugh about it, but Mark seems to be serious in announcing Mike McGoldrick as the "best wood flute player in the world" and so on.. c'mon...

LE

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
Terry pretty much confirms OES was a contractual obligation album thrown together by MK out of necessity - which is exactly what it sounds like.

100% agree
When OES was released, my DS fan friends hated it as "not real DS".
As for me, I was so blown away by the masterpieces on the album (the addictive tittle track, the haunting PONO, the very moving Iron Hand, the erotic YAYF) that I could easily forgive the mistakes (the commercial Heavy Fuel, the too much country orientated songs).
As for the tour, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it was my first time seeing DS live, so I have found memories. Also Mark's guitar playing was the best ever. On the other hand, Mark's bad mood, the lack of keyboards compared to the BIA tour (yes, I love keynoards !) and the overall "over commercialized" feeling put me off. Can't decide whether it was the best or the worst of tours. Probably both. Telegraph road is a good example: most impressive end solo, but that seems like a show off exercise showing no respect for the song: too rushed, no intro, no emotion, obscene amount of pedal steel.
The OES album and tour are a big paradox to me. A mixture of very best and very worst.

Same for me. Calling Elvis, On Every Street, When it Comes to You, You and Your Friend, The Bug, Fade to Black ... it doesn't get any better than that, sound-wise, song-wise, playing-wise. And then the tour. Yes, it may have been too "big" for it to really be loved, but just listen to, say, the live version of You and Your Friend. Mark Knopfler never, ever was better than that. And look at his face while playing

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
Calling them "The Dullards" seems to say much more about Ed than about the "pants". They are just musicians after all, they don't have to be great natural scientists nor have to be candidats for the nobel prize..

However, indeed they are "just" musicians - and everytime Mark calls them "best in the world" it is somewhat embarrassing. They never were able to show what they are able to do because they only play their parts.. and, honestly, a band HAS to play great and tight together after they have done all these tracks hundreds of times together. Nobody ever gets the chance to do a real "solo", I mean it is just playing your part. Every top 40 musician or every other studio musician should be able to do it they way they do it. If it was for fun, I would laugh about it, but Mark seems to be serious in announcing Mike McGoldrick as the "best wood flute player in the world" and so on.. c'mon...

LE

Who's the best wood flute player in the world, then, in your opinion?  ;)

LoveExpresso

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:53 PM »
Hi, Rail King, nice to see you back..

I knew that would coming up - Mike was just an example. What I mean is more, there must be a lot of flute players in the world, and "the best" is a categorie
that fits with sports but not with music. How many wood flute players did Mark have in an audition before he knew Mike is the best? Only because they are in his band, they are the best in the world? Not really. So many great guitar players, so many drummers.. so many bands.. really Richard the best guitar player? Ianto the best drummer in the world?

Hope you get what I mean. It is just about the category itself that I feel uncomfortable with.

LE

foma

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »
C'mon people, it's Mark's world, he said in his world everybody's got a christmas present and a quality shoe, so every musician is the best.

:lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 46 queries.