Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Endless River - New Pink Floyd album!!!!!  (Read 22990 times)

foma

Re: The Endless River - New Pink Floyd album!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
Let's all thank Mark who does not revisiting the past and always brings new songs and lyrics which he still have something to say with.

Onlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »
Perhaps, but i would love to listen to some lost songs, like Real girl, or Making movies, or a studio version of Eastbound train and What's the matter baby. Or the demo of private dancer! 
Plus many more !
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
Perhaps, but i would love to listen to some lost songs, like Real girl, or Making movies, or a studio version of Eastbound train and What's the matter baby. Or the demo of private dancer! 
Plus many more !

Real Girl and Eastbound train do exist in studio versions. They are called "demo" versions, but they are produced like "real" studio versions, they are not demos with just some instruments like some songs on golden demos or making movies for example which are obviously not "finished"

I really love the Eastbound train studio version

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »
I I really don't expect a new Wish you were here

last week I watched the doculentary "the story of wish you were here". I didn't learn that much, but interesting though.

I think that this is my favourite album (although Animals is a good challenger)

Onlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »
Now JF, turning this thread into a DS one... It was supposed to be about PF!  ;D  I know about Real girl and Eastbound train, I think I have them at early demos recordings. 

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
It was released just yesterday (in Germany) and on my first listen through I felt it was rather a let-down. There were some interesting bits in there, but overall I felt it was quite dull and really nothing special. It was undoubtedly post-Waters Floyd, but it felt repetitive in terms that I'd heard most of it before in one variation or another, like much of it was like outtakes from previous Floyd that simply hadn't "made the cut", which I guess is the case here since it's based on outtakes from the Division Bell. In a way I'd like to liken it to an best-of compilation album, or maybe a remake of all the other albums squeezed into one -kind of. There are nods and hints at old Floyd songs all the way through, but they were much better the first time around. I don't imagine it will be an album I will listen to a lot, but then again I could be wrong and it might grow on me. There've been a few albums through the years (by numerous artists) that have required a few play-throughs before I took a liking to them.
omg, the guitar, the piano, organ,..the drums...the lack of words (the one sung song is the weakest imho, even though i would not say it is bad) it is one big effing landscape, which needs to be listened to with headphones on and the volume on 11...
it is nothing less but sublime.
we would all dance and kiss the next person if Mark would play that much guitar again,....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
I like it, it starts very very well but when approaching the end gets more and more boring, even the sung song its not quite the good I expected, but in general, its a better record than I thought it would be.
So Long

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
My cd/Blu-ray box set has just arrived at home so will listen to it tonight - looking forward to watching the blu-ray content too...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
The CD is not yet released in France but I could buy it on Itunes.
A very nice listen, but nothing much new under the sun - kind of compilation of Floyd's history.
Same overall feeling than "on as island": nice, but will not go down in History as a masterpiece... I'm glad to have it though.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »

I haven't heard it and I am not interested in it the slightest but I read Guy's answer to Pottels questions: "It is nothing if not nostalgic"..

Honestly, I think it is quite arrogant always to depreciate "nostalgia" and fans who like that. Mark is not the most modern muso of all times to be precise,
all that blues stuff on the last record, songs like Hard Shoulder (great of course, but an echo from the past), the complete Kill to get Crimson is also not exactly the LATEST SHIT - it is what Mark liked during his youth MINUS what made him great - great compositions, genious guitar playing. Nowadays, the guitar seems more and more as if he is annoyed by it - and listening to most of the 2013 live shows makes me cringe more than once - I have problems to take those shows and take it to my friends and present it to them to listen to it - "Hey, listen, how great this is" - the things I used to do with Alchemy and On Every Street stuff... he is definitely not playing great anymore these days. That would be fine with me when I would write on the same level as 1978 until 1991, but it is all getting simpler and simpler, more and more stripped down.. less and less guitar.. less and less melodic ideas, only folk stuff, and echoes from the all the career..
that is what I feel about Mark for some months now, and it might sound heretic, but I can perfectly empathize with Maarten speaking of God and not meaning Mark.. (of course, Clapton is God, not Gilmour, but that's another story...  :) )

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »

I haven't heard it and I am not interested in it the slightest but I read Guy's answer to Pottels questions: "It is nothing if not nostalgic"..

Honestly, I think it is quite arrogant always to depreciate "nostalgia" and fans who like that. Mark is not the most modern muso of all times to be precise,
all that blues stuff on the last record, songs like Hard Shoulder (great of course, but an echo from the past), the complete Kill to get Crimson is also not exactly the LATEST SHIT - it is what Mark liked during his youth MINUS what made him great - great compositions, genious guitar playing. Nowadays, the guitar seems more and more as if he is annoyed by it - and listening to most of the 2013 live shows makes me cringe more than once - I have problems to take those shows and take it to my friends and present it to them to listen to it - "Hey, listen, how great this is" - the things I used to do with Alchemy and On Every Street stuff... he is definitely not playing great anymore these days. That would be fine with me when I would write on the same level as 1978 until 1991, but it is all getting simpler and simpler, more and more stripped down.. less and less guitar.. less and less melodic ideas, only folk stuff, and echoes from the all the career..
that is what I feel about Mark for some months now, and it might sound heretic, but I can perfectly empathize with Maarten speaking of God and not meaning Mark.. (of course, Clapton is God, not Gilmour, but that's another story...  :) )

LE

Yes, I empathise with you very much indeed and feel that these days Mark isn't playing to his strengths.  He does seem uninterested by his guitars for some time now and this reiterated phrase "the song is king" only tells me that he can't be bothered to do a solo on a song any more rather than anything in any artistic sense.

If I was going to produce a sample of his work for my friends then a 2013 stick would not be handed over by me either.  I'd rather make my own compilation and it would be 90% DS stuff probably.  :-\
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Onlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »
Well, I don't really care for guitar heroes, even though it started that way for me 30 years ago. But what I really miss is powerful songs. I mean I would love to have both, songs and guitar, but I will take songs without guitar if they are great. After all guitar is just a means. When it becomes an end, it might be harmful for the composition. So many great guitar players played few notes at the correct spots and that made them great. So, what I miss is great songs. And there are so many old acts that can be discovered, that I can't complain...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
LE I have exactly the same feeling.
I must admit I like nostalgia, and I prefer listen to old recordings (from Floyd, Stones, Dire straits, etc...) studio or/and live, rather than recent ones.
I have not listened to the last Floyd album yet, but I must admit I am even not excited by listen to it.
My first desire would rather be to listen to Wish you, Atom, darks side, meddle or Animals again and again.
You can call this "living in the past" but it gives me far far more goosebumps/emotion/tears than listen to the last album from EC, Gilmour,or even MK

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »
I bought Endless river last Saturday, and listened to it 5 or 6 times.
I can't judge if it's a great record yet. But I think that it's a great gift that Gilmour and Mason have made to all Pink Floyd fans, to have one last time the pleasure to discover new musical pieces from them.
Wright keyboards are the heart of this record, and Gilmour is less in front than usual.
But the magic still operates on some tracks, and the record is a journey between the discography of the band. I think you must already know the music of pink Floyd to appreciate this record.
And releasing nowadays a record with only one song with lyrics is rather risky, and I applause Gilmour and Mason for that.
Hopefully, Gilmour will release a solo record next year, so there will be another occasion to listen great guitar sounds and solo one more time.
So much exciting than the next MK record and tour...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:01 AM »

(of course, Clapton is God, not Gilmour, but that's another story...  :) )

LE

Gonna have to totally disagree with you there LE..... 'Clapton  is god'  Never - Clapton's music is so plain and boring - period!!!!

New 'PF' album is good and the box set Blu-Ray has some wonderful material on it but I am really looking forward to the GOD that is MK and the release of the long awaited 'Tracker' and of course the tour too....

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:15:25 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 43 queries.