Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Endless River - New Pink Floyd album!!!!!  (Read 22991 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: The Endless River - New Pink Floyd album!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
By the way which one is Pink?
Really now, it is another album from our favorite musicians, that we somehow got used to their sound and in a way their way of doing things. Nothing more nothing else. The only solid argument about their quality is that they haven't released them in the first place.  On the other hand, DG wouldn't issue something worthless. He surely did the best he could.

I will buy it and enjoy it. Surely now, the best Roger Waters, Pink Floyd sounding record without Gilmour has to be the Pros and Cons. But I have to declare that none of the post Wall albums have sat on my turntable as much as their 70ies output. Maybe that reveals something. (Although from the PF canon, I was listening only to Atom heart mother & Division Bell during my 18 month army service in 1995. )
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »
have a cigar.... ;)

The only solid argument about their quality is that they haven't released them in the first place.  On the other hand, DG wouldn't issue something worthless. He surely did the best he could.

about the Final Cut album, Gilmour said in a 80ies itw something like : "Roger wanted to record again tunes that were left over from the wall sessions...and I didn't understand why. I thought that if these songs were not good enough for the wall, why they would be better for the new album ? And I still think the same"

does he think the same about Rick's tunes that were not included in the division bell album ?.... :think ::)

Although from the PF canon, I was listening only to Atom heart mother & Division Bell during my 18 month army service in 1995

hey Vassili I also did my army service in 95-96, but what I was listening by then was :
Sgt. pepper / abbey road / white album
CSN - carry on comp
Oldfield - crises / platinum
Genesis - wind and wuthering
Led Zep - coda
cream best of
and of course....Golden Heart ;)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »
Hey JF, just read the Uncut article, which explains what happened back then. Of course,  I still think that something superb wouldn't remain buried for 20 years, but I won't go into this hypothesis, because I, too, can't wait for it.  ;D  Taking material of more than 22 hours and cutting and pasting together the best pieces then taking some more from older archives (1969!) and piecing them all together, plus recording new drum, bass and guitar parts, plus vocals, it can be interpreted in many ways. No matter. Press buy it now!

The final cut was not described adequately from Gilmour. There were hardly left overs from the wall. Pros and cons was written at the same time with the Wall and they just needed the money so they went with the extended double one, which had a more universal theme as well.

The lyrics of Final cut were brand new  and since Roger was in a state of mind to do it quickly and as he desired he was forced to use some themes that rung a bell.  All in all, it is a very depressing album with no single like another brick to carry some of its weight, and that is why it is overlooked. 

But this new one, as it is described in Uncut, is something different. They wanted to issue a double album back then, Division bell + an instrumental counter part. As they state this is not the BIG SPLIFF but some parts of it are surely included. So maybe some good ideas, but with different direction from the "mainstream" floydian sound.

In the army I used to listen many many things. I just mentioned the PF i used to listen. I also listened to Pixies-doolittle and surfer rosa/come on pilgrim , Radiohead-the bends, P.J. Harvey-to bring you my love, Television-their third album, Massive attack-protection, and some mix tapes from friends or from home, including some of the things you mention . If my memory serves me well it was Tubular bells II, Hergest ridge (which I love), U2, Springsteen etc.   
In 1996 I got a parcel at the barracks and inside was Golden Heart! Sent from my petit brother! Since I didn't have a portable CD player, it took me some 3-4 months to listen to it, but it was a nice surprise!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
In the army I used to listen many many things.
(...)
In 1996 I got a parcel at the barracks and inside was Golden Heart! Sent from my petit brother! Since I didn't have a portable CD player, it took me some 3-4 months to listen to it, but it was a nice surprise!

Beeing in the army and listening to Done with Bonaparte. This must be such an experience...
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
Really now, it is another album from our favorite musicians, that we somehow got used to their sound and in a way their way of doing things. Nothing more nothing else. The only solid argument about their quality is that they haven't released them in the first place.  On the other hand, DG wouldn't issue something worthless. He surely did the best he could.

I will buy it and enjoy it. Surely now, the best Roger Waters, Pink Floyd sounding record without Gilmour has to be the Pros and Cons. But I have to declare that none of the post Wall albums have sat on my turntable as much as their 70ies output. Maybe that reveals something. (Although from the PF canon, I was listening only to Atom heart mother & Division Bell during my 18 month army service in 1995. )
i by far prefer Amused to death.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
Pottel, Amused to death is very strong, (probably stronger than all of RW albums) but somehow the music  is not exactly PF sounding, despite the superb guitar work of JB, the similar sound FX and the exquisite songs. Can't explain it exactly. But this is the reason I prefer pros and cons, because it is more PF sounding. It is familiar territory, like coming back at home, even if it is a house filled with psychopaths. And I can't imagine how it would be like to have the guitar and the odd couple of songs by Gilmour.

Nababo,  to tell you the truth we were at the brink of war with Turkey back then and we were always on alert. The crisis ended but we stayed on alert for almost a year. No days or nights off. I couldn't sleep with ear plugs, because I had to be alert, and I couldn't sleep due to the noise, so I found a mid ground, to sleep with music on which ended 30 minutes after. (one side of the tape)  I was without a leave of absence for 9 months and then it was a few days off every 2-3 months. So if I remember correctly it was late in 1996 or early 1997 that I first listened to it. And by then I was just 2-3 months away from getting a discharge. So I never thought about it, this way, really!   

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
The problem with Roger is that he is Roger, musically speaking.
He could have the best musicians of the world with him and turn the whole thing lame...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
Beeing in the army and listening to Done with Bonaparte. This must be such an experience...

I listened to DWB during my army service, but well it was note really "army" you know.... I was in an audiovisual office in a "military doctors university" (don't know the right term in english), and I could go home every day, and even take my noon-lunch in civil with my wife, you see...so my context was miles away from vgonis' one !

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
The problem with Roger is that he is Roger, musically speaking.
He could have the best musicians of the world with him and turn the whole thing lame...

yes and that's why Roger's songs were the best when played by floyd, "transcended" by Gilmour I may say, and in a lesser way by Wright

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
Witty remark ds1984! Made me laugh! I think that he would laugh as well!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
Nababo,  to tell you the truth we were at the brink of war with Turkey back then and we were always on alert. The crisis ended but we stayed on alert for almost a year. No days or nights off. I couldn't sleep with ear plugs, because I had to be alert, and I couldn't sleep due to the noise, so I found a mid ground, to sleep with music on which ended 30 minutes after. (one side of the tape)  I was without a leave of absence for 9 months and then it was a few days off every 2-3 months. So if I remember correctly it was late in 1996 or early 1997 that I first listened to it. And by then I was just 2-3 months away from getting a discharge. So I never thought about it, this way, really!

Living in a country that was not involved in conflicts lately, I always forget that the risks and dangers of war are a part of many people's lives, even in developed nations. And I want to apologize if, in any way, I was disrespectful about your army service. Even if MK could write the best song about a soldier's life, I'm sure he would never be able to match the real fears of being at the verge of a conflict. Was this issue about Cyprus, by the way?
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
Dear Nababo, we even tend to forget at times. So don't worry! No offense at all and no need for apologies! You once again proved how kind you are!

More on the subject at a PM!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »

i by far prefer Amused to death.
Agree, Pottel !
Amused to death is one of my all time favorites album. I like it almost as much as a golden era PF
Album.
"What God wants, part 3" is out of this world with JB solo, "watching TV" brings tears to me, and "it's a miracle" is so touching.
Roger has his faults, but in terms of songwriting he is a serious competitor for Mark !

OfflineRohrmuller

• Guitar George
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »
It was released just yesterday (in Germany) and on my first listen through I felt it was rather a let-down. There were some interesting bits in there, but overall I felt it was quite dull and really nothing special. It was undoubtedly post-Waters Floyd, but it felt repetitive in terms that I'd heard most of it before in one variation or another, like much of it was like outtakes from previous Floyd that simply hadn't "made the cut", which I guess is the case here since it's based on outtakes from the Division Bell. In a way I'd like to liken it to an best-of compilation album, or maybe a remake of all the other albums squeezed into one -kind of. There are nods and hints at old Floyd songs all the way through, but they were much better the first time around. I don't imagine it will be an album I will listen to a lot, but then again I could be wrong and it might grow on me. There've been a few albums through the years (by numerous artists) that have required a few play-throughs before I took a liking to them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:35:32 PM by Rohrmuller »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »
It will arrive in Greece on Monday or Tuesday(actually some stores already have it but the release date is on Monday). I really don't expect a new Wish you were here, not even a Momentary lapse. But if this is the last PF record to be released, so I am bound to listen to it. I guess post-posthumously, the families will dig for gold in the vaults, unless the living members destroy them.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.