Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Jimmy Iovine about Making Movies Recordings  (Read 10857 times)

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
Re: Jimmy Iovine about Making Movies Recordings
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
Communique sold over 7million copies too..... not too shabby  8)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
I love Communique as well. It's a very good album. I used to love Portobello Belle. Don't know, why i fell often attracted to the easy patterns and melodies. Communique is certainly one of my top favourite studio albums.

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 11:57:39 AM »
Making Movies is filled with classic guitar solos, so the comparison with today's situation is clearly flawed. Great MM review nonetheless.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
Communique has been my fav album for years

and angel of mercy is my fav song on the album  ;)

I prefer Lady writer than sultans (aiee...blasphemy ? ::))

But I aslo love MM, and I agree that it can't be compared with actual situation.

Even if there aren't many "solos" ather are many lead guitars, many guitar arrangements

I prefer songs that doesn't have a proper dedicated solo but lot a lead guitar, or riff, or etc... (WWE, Water of love, One world, communique, silvertown blues, coyote, etc...) than songs with only a guitar solo but without much guitar arrangement (e.g. redbud tree)

it's not because a song have a guitar solo that it makes it "guitar oriented" and vice et versa

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
I think that if you listen carefully you will find that there are no extended guitar solos on record until Love over gold. The songs are structured in such a way that either the solos offer a breath/break from the verses (mid SOS solo)  or are in fact instrumental bridges to another part of the song that is different from the previous. There are also two other categories, the solos to fade out (Tunnel of Love)  and the solos that are constructed as an extra verse, thus enhancing the impact of a previous lyric (News). Of course if you have a nice guitar lick turn to solo you can't expect MK to through it out just because it is a solo! And maybe in the live sets, the solos are in fact there for a couple of reasons as well. Give a different version, give the spotlight to some musicians while others take a break, etc.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
I understand what you say vgonis, but I'd say that the Tunnel outro on MM is already an "extended" solo regarding what were "standard" lengths in music at the time

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »
The early solos were often written or carefully planned, and integral parts of the songs. Later, Mark started to turn towards more of jammy soloing, even though his solos always sound more precise than for normal blues/rock players.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
The early solos were often written or carefully planned, and integral parts of the songs. Later, Mark started to turn towards more of jammy soloing, even though his solos always sound more precise than for normal blues/rock players.

I disagree.

Hal Lindes explained that Mark played alwasy same solos during the entire tout, each night almost exactly the same, and we can hear that on many bootlegs

What we call "jamming" about Mark is when he's changing few bars  in a 2min solo, and all the rest is the same, but that's not I call "jamming"

It doesn't mean his solos are bad, but I wouldn't  say that Mark turned to "jammy soloing".

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 04:18:41 PM »
TOL out-ro solo is like painting with music the lyrics that were preceded. It is a nice balance to the extended intro (30 sec, with no guitar) and the last part of the out-ro also is a pianistic roll (also 30sec) . If you count the guitar solo is hardly over 1:30 solo. And for an 8 min song it is quite normal. But you are correct, TOL is not the song to judge from.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »

I disagree.

Hal Lindes explained that Mark played alwasy same solos during the entire tout, each night almost exactly the same, and we can hear that on many bootlegs

What we call "jamming" about Mark is when he's changing few bars  in a 2min solo, and all the rest is the same, but that's not I call "jamming"

It doesn't mean his solos are bad, but I wouldn't  say that Mark turned to "jammy soloing".

Well, as I tried to emphasize, I meant "jam" in relative terms. He never sounded like Clapton, but there's a difference between In the gallery and stuff like the outro of When it comes to you.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
TOL out-ro solo is like painting with music the lyrics that were preceded. It is a nice balance to the extended intro (30 sec, with no guitar) and the last part of the out-ro also is a pianistic roll (also 30sec) . If you count the guitar solo is hardly over 1:30 solo. And for an 8 min song it is quite normal. But you are correct, TOL is not the song to judge from.

yes agree, but it depends if you count relative to the song lenght, or relative to a "standard" solo length

I remember the firsts months I was listening to Alchemy : Expresso love was a short song....of course relative to others, but a 5 min song is a "long" song relative to pop music in general

a 1:30 solo is a long one, even if relative to a 8min song you can call it quite normal  :)

another example : on Setphen still's go back home, EC is playing a  2min solo, and I read in a review that it was a "long" solo. it means relative to what the public think what is a long instrumental part ...

Of course for us DS fans, with TR, TOL and many other songs live, we would say it's a short one, but all is relative.... :)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
How can time change the way we look at an album.

Communiqu
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »
How can time change the way we look at an album.

Easily.   There are lots of albums or songs that I haven't immediately warmed to, but have grown to like more than those I loved at first listening.   Communique is one of those albums for me.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »

I disagree.

Very few bootlegs are really that available from that era, particularly when you think of the amount of Gigs DS did. Roll on to the On Every Street tour and you can see that MK in particular was on another level with regards to his guitar playing. The bootlegs prove this and he changed so much and improvised on this tour and pretty much ever since imo.

Knopfler played the same solos? Not in a million years... yes he may have had structure for certain parts of songs but he has always had so much breathing space for improvisation on many parts of the solos. In any case Knopfler really is a master of intertwining guitar licks and vocals. unmatched imo 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:55:48 PM by xxFordiexx »
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
SOS or HFB are example of how Mak can change from one night to another (for the better or worse) but on SAN or TR I did not notice such impro, just that they are better played on some night than others.
TR has so many passages oblig
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.