Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 58:2013.07.16 Teatro Antico, Taormina, Italy # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 30273 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Not netter or worse thn many other versions this, or any other tour. Decent, not special. Beautiful setting though! Also, the amount of people filming ( I believe I saw 3 iPads in the beginning) is unbelievable...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
Yep. It's another version of sultans. We honestly can't expect something groundbreaking each time..... We never had the privilege to hear so many versions back in the day.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
Quote from: xxFordiexx link=
A bad note?? What have we become? Lol ;-). 
[/quote

Hm, don't get what you mean... maybe it's too hot today...  8) Don't you think there are any?

LE

Ignore me LE... I'm just being boisterous :P
Fordie

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I have listened to this version of SOS about 5 times now and I do honestly enjoy it very much.  True, it's not fantastic (as I said previously) or perfect, but what is perfection?  Sometimes improvisation might sound imperfect to one person, but it could be perfection to another's ears.  A lot of people rate the Milan 2013 version very highly - some have said it's the best ever, but what I heard was MK making very heavy weather of getting to the end and there seemed to be some rather iffy notes in there too - or could that have been improvisation and it passed me by?    :)

I listened to that Milan version earlier today after hearing this funnily enough and the difference is night and day.  Milan is full of inspired improvisation and the solo flows along nicely leading to something instead of jumping from one crisis to the next (so to speak).  Milan has a great solo.  This is just small bits and bobs that aren't really coming off all cobbled together that don't really amount to a whole.

Aren't we over-analizing this though.  It's only one performance of a song after all!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
I have listened to this version of SOS about 5 times now and I do honestly enjoy it very much.  True, it's not fantastic (as I said previously) or perfect, but what is perfection?  Sometimes improvisation might sound imperfect to one person, but it could be perfection to another's ears.  A lot of people rate the Milan 2013 version very highly - some have said it's the best ever, but what I heard was MK making very heavy weather of getting to the end and there seemed to be some rather iffy notes in there too - or could that have been improvisation and it passed me by?    :)

I listened to that Milan version earlier today after hearing this funnily enough and the difference is night and day.  Milan is full of inspired improvisation and the solo flows along nicely leading to something instead of jumping from one crisis to the next (so to speak).  Milan has a great solo.  This is just small bits and bobs that aren't really coming off all cobbled together that don't really amount to a whole.

Aren't we over-analizing this though.  It's only one performance of a song after all!
Ok let's troll :D
Anyway I find the highly praised 4-piece versions a bit dull...
I really miss the super-bad-ass versions of the OL, LOG, BIA and OES tour, with keyboards (yes, keyboards ! they bring power and volume nuances to the song !), sax break, even pedal steel... The Alchemy version, even without sax, is enraged, full of energy, keyboards give depth to it... the sax break of subsequent tours was a bit cheesy but sooooo cool.... even Jim's piano in 96 was great to me...
If it is to hear a 4-piece version I'd rather listen to the studio version - super clean, crystal clear, great...

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
His guitar switch or something was broken during the Milan version right? Thats why its so different.  Hey played it with different notes. I think he was forced due this guitar malfunction.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
His guitar switch or something was broken during the Milan version right? Thats why its so different.  Hey played it with different notes. I think he was forced due this guitar malfunction.

DMG wrote: "Milan is full of inspired improvisation and the solo flows along nicely leading to something instead of jumping from one crisis to the next (so to speak).  Milan has a great solo.................................."

maybe I don't get it Dutchessy....but in your opinion Marks played a great Sultans because of the fact that his guitar gear/setup malfunctioned ?
How great would he have played if his guitar was in perfect condition  :think

Changing regular notes when your guitar is a bit kaput isn't a clever thing to do and make no sense , if the guitar neck point in a 90 degrees
angle to the ground.......you may wanna bend a string to reach the proper note.

so I think he played the notes he wanted to play during the Milan gig.
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Is there ever a bad version of Sultans ????  I'm thrilled just to hear it play again. :thumbsup :clap  Like dmg said, maybe we are over analizing it.   :)

Love Expresso

We had this before and I am not sure if this is right. "Just fixing my guitar" was said by him after Sultans - I guess it was about the next guitar for Gator Blood - he noodles around a bit to try if everything is ok and then starts into Gator Blood. That's however how I got it. Could be wrong though.

About the over-analyzing. Even if we analyze Sultans to death - we are allowed  to! We are the die-hard-fans!  ;D It just shows how much we all love this song! The same as you can talk for hours, days, weeks about ONE football match or ONE football scene, we can talk about this masterpieces for, let's say, the next three years?  ;D

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
I think there's a lot to be said for the days before recordings were available!    You just went to a concert and if you enjoyed it that was fine, if you didn't, well, maybe next time will be better!   ::)   

These days we have so many recording of all of the concerts and inevitably there are far too many opportunities for post-mortems, analysis and nit-picking!   However, I wouldn't like to be without the recordings either!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
I think there's a lot to be said for the days before recordings were available!    You just went to a concert and if you enjoyed it that was fine, if you didn't, well, maybe next time will be better!   ::)   

These days we have so many recording of all of the concerts and inevitably there are far too many opportunities for post-mortems, analysis and nit-picking!   However, I wouldn't like to be without the recordings either!    ;)

Perfectly put Val :) That was pretty much my point.... too much opportunity to analyse every version that comes out.... Upon listening to another version of the same song it sounds fine barring one note that is off. Knopfler and many other artists have made the same mistakes over all the years.

I would just add that I'm not entirely sure that Thomas' drumming is that good on Sultans.... Shame as every other song is brilliant from him imo.
Fordie

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
He doesn't make the show on SOS as Danny did but Ianto is super efficient on it. As we say in french "c'est carr
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
here the person who claimed to be the one who gave us Sutans that evening , was he?  :think

Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 40 queries.