Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 34:2013.06.14, Tr  (Read 29571 times)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Re: Concert # 34:2013.06.14, Tr
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:16 AM »
Fantastic :clap. What a dramatic video with that amazing sky as a backdrop.  :P

I love it !!!! :thumbsup :clap  Absolutely fantastic solo. Must have been an incredible experience to be there and listen to it live.

Love Expresso

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:35 AM »
Isn't the end pretty much messed up? After Mark's last riff (which seemed to be much more powerful in 2010) there is some more drumming which spoils it for me - the same with Sultans btw, Ianto does a little roll after the final which I think doesn't fit to the ending of the song.

Watched this video 4 times now and would never had called it special or phantastic when I had seenit for the first time or had to judge by myself. Telegraph Road is the best when played as original as possible. I remember some 2005 versions were there was as much noodling, and that led to loosing track more than a good variation. Plus Jim seems to play some little false notes here and there which spoils it also.

So good and energetic playing by Mark, yes, (without mistakes also), but in terms of greatness, nothing special in my point of view.  ;)

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:15 PM »
Isn't the end pretty much messed up? After Mark's last riff (which seemed to be much more powerful in 2010) there is some more drumming which spoils it for me - the same with Sultans btw, Ianto does a little roll after the final which I think doesn't fit to the ending of the song.

Watched this video 4 times now and would never had called it special or phantastic when I had seenit for the first time or had to judge by myself. Telegraph Road is the best when played as original as possible. I remember some 2005 versions were there was as much noodling, and that led to loosing track more than a good variation. Plus Jim seems to play some little false notes here and there which spoils it also.

So good and energetic playing by Mark, yes, (without mistakes also), but in terms of greatness, nothing special in my point of view.  ;)

LE

Gasp! :o :o
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedona74

• Guitar George
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:23 PM »

LE

Very good version, sure at the max level of our hero nowadays.... 
Obviously not near to the level of OES tour, and that's a very normal thing....   Good job my hero... :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »

Obviously not near to the level of OES tour, and that's a very normal thing....   Good job my hero... :)
[/quote]

Really?  I never liked the OES tour versions at all.  They were IMO the worst of all;  only fast paced with no real feeling of passion or that the song was of any epic proportion.  It seemed just another track in the set, nothing special.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »

Really?  I never liked the OES tour versions at all.  They were IMO the worst of all;  only fast paced with no real feeling of passion or that the song was of any epic proportion.  It seemed just another track in the set, nothing special.
[/quote]
Exactly my feelings about the OES tour versions, dmg ! Mark was certainly showing off his (top notch at the time) guitar skills in the end solo, but that was it. As if he needed this pace to find something interesting in playing it, because he looked so bored... the cut intro was butchery, Paul Franklin's pedal steel was atrocious (on this song - I do not mean always, he did play some great parts, but in TR he was out of place), the sax after "rolling river" was certainly more energetic that then cittern, but still with a "Kenny G" feel... Alchemy version was far superior IMHO. So much rage and passion... even though the end solo was a little bit less "out of this world", overall it was better.

Maybe the reasons why Mark removed Sultans, TR and TOL from "On the night" was that, simply and honestly, after the tour he thought that Alchemy versions were truely better after all ? Maybe he realized that Chris Witten's druming is terrible on Sultans, that TR was butchered, and that pensa sound does not fit TOL (although I like it very much myself in the case of TOL) ?

Offlinedona74

• Guitar George
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 11:43:35 PM »

Exactly my feelings about the OES tour versions, dmg ! Mark was certainly showing off his (top notch at the time) guitar skills in the end solo, but that was it. As if he needed this pace to find something interesting in playing it, because he looked so bored... the cut intro was butchery, Paul Franklin's pedal steel was atrocious (on this song - I do not mean always, he did play some great parts, but in TR he was out of place), the sax after "rolling river" was certainly more energetic that then cittern, but still with a "Kenny G" feel... Alchemy version was far superior IMHO. So much rage and passion... even though the end solo was a little bit less "out of this world", overall it was better.

Maybe the reasons why Mark removed Sultans, TR and TOL from "On the night" was that, simply and honestly, after the tour he thought that Alchemy versions were truely better after all ? Maybe he realized that Chris Witten's druming is terrible on Sultans, that TR was butchered, and that pensa sound does not fit TOL (although I like it very much myself in the case of TOL) ?
[/quote]

Ehm.... following your post we could also think something like "maybe the reasons why we have not a dvd of the solo career is..."
And sincerely... nowadays all of us waiting for last 4 minutes of this song.... or not? 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:45:49 PM by dona74 »

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »
 it does bring a smile to my face when people say that Knopfler can't play the oldies like he used to... this is utter rubbish, in fact some tracks are played with by far superior variation... jesus lets just all hold hands and thank the high heavens that Knopfler still gets out and tours. He is a rarity live, his stage presence and playing is just incredible imo. enjoy :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »
it does bring a smile to my face when people say that Knopfler can't play the oldies like he used to... this is utter rubbish, in fact some tracks are played with by far superior variation... jesus lets just all hold hands and thank the high heavens that Knopfler still gets out and tours. He is a rarity live, his stage presence and playing is just incredible imo. enjoy :)
:clap :clap +1
His subtle variations this tour in all his solos have been brilliant. The fact that we have soooo many great YT vids to watch has been priceless for me down-under.
I am sure that he wrote YTC & KOG with no solos, so that he could play them as themood takes him each night. He said in an interview once, that he wasn't able to play SOS with any variations as the fans wouldn't allow him to do it.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »

And sincerely... nowadays all of us waiting for last 4 minutes of this song.... or not?

you got a point dona74,
Most are talking about the solo to the end.......a hammer on more or less.....repeating "three fingers attack" (which he did more during the eighties, and off course during the first note's of the TR electric guitar part at the beginning, not played now a days), a pull off, a sleight "false" note ( a note that doesn't belong in the scale of the song don't have to be false, its a nice trick, normally softy played and slight or bend to the next note which is in the scale) before a lick, raking the root note of a chord before playing the whole chord, or raking more notes (eg what it is)  etc, etc................as soon as there is a change, it seems to be a better solo........ and yeahhhhh I love those improvising ,,,,,simply because I don't eat the same for supper every day . And believe me those tricks mentioned above are a piece of cake for Mark and like he calls it an experience process, learning everyday......he seems to have learn to get out of his "" comfort zone"" and "does it sound like the record" phase.
And indeed for that we should be gracefully thankful to......., that he is still capable to give those changes to us and that we are still around to witness it. (An eg Elvis fan wasn't that lucky...and even when Elvis stroke his hands through his hair by accident,than the song were that occurred was the best.)

With previous TR versions I had that supper feeling esp. during the OES-tour , no improvising at all and singing the melody line as a robot ,here you are Dona, does anybody notice that Marks sings this and more songs with different kind of voice melody, sometimes almost talking, every night ( that's also why I can handle R&J much better this tour and love to hear that song again) it is the whole song!!

Marks isn't only focused on his guitar anymore, like he said in the Lawson interview "its a tool to write song with, I am more a songwriter than a guitar player" (freely quote).

So please Mark sing and improvise with your heart, cause the songs I like don't have to be faultless.. but a joy to listen too .
Different things that happens in a song does not make it better...but more memorable, so we can remember and enjoy  them to the end.
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
talking about singing, I've always prefered the way he sung the last verse ("From out of this darkness and into the day......And I don't want to see it again") in Alchemy and on studio version.
He went on higher notes with his voice, and I liked it much better than he does since the OES tour until now (and never returned to this original way of singing this verse)

I agree to not "eat the same for supper every day".
I agree that pedal steel ruined the song on OES tour.

BUT I liked the idea to search different arrangements, and trying to giving the song "a second breath" (is that the traduction of the french expression "un second souffle" ? sorry for my poor english)
Ok ideas were not always good, but changing the guitar solo for a sax solo was tastefull IMHO. I don't hear any "Kenny G." feeling here... although I'm not really sure about what "keeny G. music" meant (does it mean "musique d'ascenseur" like we say in french Herlock ? if so, I disagree)
Ok the solo on OES tour was in autopilot, but some licks in Basel or Nimes are "new" compared to Alchemy version, and that's why I like it too.

But don't get me wrong.  I prefer Alchemy though  :)
and RAH 23/05/96, and Lyon 2005 (after listen it again few days ago  :))

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
Ok ideas were not always good, but changing the guitar solo for a sax solo was tastefull IMHO. I don't hear any "Kenny G." feeling here... although I'm not really sure about what "keeny G. music" meant (does it mean "musique d'ascenseur" like we say in french Herlock ? if so, I disagree)
No, I do not mean "Ascenseur" music, Kenny G. is not that bad, he deserves respect. My point is that his kind of music is too "joyful" for lack of a better word, for TR. It does not suit the darkness and melancholy of the song. Although the sax was better than the cittern in 2008/2010 (at least there is a energetic something). In 2013 I love Jimbo's piano, less than the guitar but more than the sax. RAH #1 is fabulous for that.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
No, I do not mean "Ascenseur" music, Kenny G. is not that bad, he deserves respect. My point is that his kind of music is too "joyful" for lack of a better word, for TR. It does not suit the darkness and melancholy of the song. Although the sax was better than the cittern in 2008/2010 (at least there is a energetic something). In 2013 I love Jimbo's piano, less than the guitar but more than the sax. RAH #1 is fabulous for that.

I couldn't really find the right words last night but I think the OES versions lacked the necessary dramatic intensity required for this song, especially as it is used a a closer.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
Probably best performance for this tour so far. MK is on fire at this concert. Especially SFSL(even better than the dvd version) and TR.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
Probably best performance for this tour so far. MK is on fire at this concert. Especially SFSL(even better than the dvd version) and TR.

Song For Sonny Liston, which DVD version you refer to ?
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 40 queries.