Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The reason why no more sultans  (Read 18375 times)

OfflineRohrmuller

• Guitar George
Re: The reason why no more sultans
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 11:01:07 PM »
If he's never playing it live again I'm finding that ironic for myself because while I always enjoyed the song itself it wasn't until I heard it live for the first time (Get Lucky tour) that I really took a liking to it and since then it's been one of the 'highlights' of every concert I've attended, so when he didn't play it in Malm

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
So, what do you guys think. Is Sultans gone forever? Was the RAH it's final farewell?

I don't think so. After all, he did play MFN and WOL just a couple of month ago.

He'll play it at when he's playing at a corporate event in front of VIP's, but paying fans who actually love the music...  I despair. :(

Sure, I just mean that the possibillities are rather good, even for such songs as MFN to be played during future tours.

I really don't think so.  If you look at the set lists over the years, very little has changed as far as DS oldies is concerned (R&J, SOS, BIA, SFA).  Only the new songs introduced to the set is what is changing it (plus one or two surprises).

I think of a "I'm telling you for the last time" situation. At least I wish for that.   ;)

Offlinenando

• Guitar George
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
we will always have this:

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »

LOL!  Maybe he can open for Mark.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
It would break my heart if I never experience sultans live again! :(

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »
Don't panic my friends it's only 9 or 10 concerts no SOS

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
Dont panic? I am closing in on a seizure anytime...  ;)

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »
Folks, PLEASE!!! There is only one reason: He doesn't play Bonaparte anymore (ok, just a couple of times), so why would he play the song before Bonaparte? No reason at all! :lol

We all know this, but you guys, you don't want to admit it, do you? ;D

OfflineSolid Rock

• Camerado
  • Get lucky, down the road wherver.
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »

He's good!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »
I don't like Sultans on this tour. Drums don't fit the song.

We can still enjoy this classic version of Sultans, by all known, Chad C. being actually pretty good on that one, great mini piano break during the song :

This one is really rocking, great band, I would have liked to see them live again, but it didn't happen, from London 2002. Great music, great atmosphere, simply AMAZING :

Or listen to that one from Bercy 2010, probably my fave in years, so smooooth on drums by Danny and on guitar by MK
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:16:41 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »
I think that Mark don't play Sultans is one fondamentally: he saves physically.
The current set list is made for a quiet mood (too quiet)  with few peaks like farmer, speedway and telegraph.
Throughout in the set Mark spend much time with  acoustic guitar in privateering, Marble or slide for corned or more lenght playing like father, piper, postcards shangri and so far......away.
In this way for him is very easy to spend 3 or 4 months city by city, hotel by hotel with the least possible effort.........so in any case will have applause at the end of every night.
Golden heart tour is the best that he made all time ............anyway I'll love his music forever, though not by all that he can.

Love Expresso

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
I
In this way for him is very easy to spend 3 or 4 months city by city, hotel by hotel with the least possible effort.........so in any case will have applause at the end of every night.

I respect your opinion of course but I think that this sentence could be interpreted as a little bit disrespectful to Mark, don't you think?. Remember he has a tight schedule with 80 shows within three months, and I cannot remember having read lots of bad reviews about the shows so far but only enthusiasm. Downpoint for me would be the hangover show at Glasgow maybe, but all in all the audience was more than satisfied it seems. To call a two hour show of GREAT QUALITY "the least possible effort"  don't do him justice in my opinion. He has never done that. Why should it be easier for him to offer a well-played and well sung version of, let's say, Haul Away than from Sultans? It is very much about interpretation and feel. And maybe it is just as one AMITer wrote lately: Maybe he wants to have the full band on stage for fun reasons, and wants to leave the stripped-down performances out of the show.. I cannot imagine that Sultans would be difficult for him to play, after the first 10.000 times it seems he should be into the song...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
There is no doubt that the set requires less concentration and is less demanding physically without Sultans.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
i do not care about sultans not being played, or played. but i do feel for the people that unlike some us, cannot do muiltiple shows, and only have this one night where they can hope for SOS being played.but really, why does this have anything to do with respect towards fans? is the show crap all of the sudden because SOS is not played? as much as we do not like it, it is mark and no one else who decides, so live with it. us moaning here will not change his mind.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
You have tot take a look at the setlists of MK when he started the GH tour in 1996. From there untill now old DS songs were replaced for new MK solo songs.
No more: Water of Love, MFN, WOL, the Bug, Calling Elvis. These days SFA Brothers and Sultans are not to be played every night anymore.
I hope sultans will come back again but it's sure not gonna be played every night on this tour or the next. In fact on the next tour only R&J and TR will be the only DS left he will be playing every night...... i think. :think
And you?????

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 41 queries.