Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The reason why no more sultans  (Read 18447 times)

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
The reason why no more sultans
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
Hey folks. There has been a lot of complaining and wondering why Mark is seldom playing Sultans of Swing anymore. It is not because he can't, Mark has certainly proven this tour that he can still play sultans with speed and enthusiasm. The reason why is because Mark is getting tired of the fact that the biggest applause of the concert comes after a song that only half of the band is on stage for, and the fact that it is an old Straits song. Mark is a very unselfish person, he wants the biggest applause to be for the whole band, not just for him and a song he wrote over 35 years ago. It's time to let it go folks. Just my two cents.

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Re: The reason why no more sultans
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
That post seems so conclusive and certain that I almost wonder whether you phoned him and asked

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
That post seems so conclusive and certain that I almost wonder whether you phoned him and asked

;D

+1
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Sultans has been played 15 times from the 32 concerts so far this tour. So seldom is a wrong word.
And my 2 cents on this:
MK is doing more variation, as we all wished for in earlier years, and now everyone is complaining.
I think he likes to vary.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
Sultans has been played 15 times from the 32 concerts so far this tour. So seldom is a wrong word.
And my 2 cents on this:
MK is doing more variation, as we all wished for in earlier years, and now everyone is complaining.

I like it. He can play what he wants, as long he doesn't play Les Boys.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »
I'm afraid I don't agree with your hypothesis on this.  It's interesting, but not for me.  The reason still remains unclear.  As you say, he still can play it and that hasn't been in question so it's a puzzler all right.

As for varying the set, I think a set needs a structure with some basic songs to be played night after night, then a few songs in-between that can be altered if one wants to vary the set.  Just like a house needs foundations.  Sultans shouldn't be one of the songs that pops in and out but one of the foundation songs in the set every night like WII, CBC, P...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
And my 2 cents on this:

If Mark wants the whole band to be involved, it's pretty easy: go back to the super-bad-ass versions of the BIA and OES tour ! give us back the keyboards, and above all, the sax break ! :D I know some people hate the sax and even the keys, but to me they are wonders. The keys give depth to it, more volume variation, more power, and more emotion too...

I just can't understand why he chose this one to sacrifice to allow more setlist variation.... Sonny would have been the perfect candidate for that. Oh well... I think nobody knows why. Not even Guy, I'm quite sure.

As for Les Boys, ok this is not a fantastic song, but listening to the story in Boston'80 is soooooo funny !! these were the days where Mark was speaking a lot, I love it ! :)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
I'm afraid I don't agree with your hypothesis on this.  It's interesting, but not for me.  The reason still remains unclear.  As you say, he still can play it and that hasn't been in question so it's a puzzler all right.

As for varying the set, I think a set needs a structure with some basic songs to be played night after night, then a few songs in-between that can be altered if one wants to vary the set.  Just like a house needs foundations.  Sultans shouldn't be one of the songs that pops in and out but one of the foundation songs in the set every night like WII, CBC, P...
100% agree with you on this one !

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
Enough of the Les Boys bashing, it's a good song!  It has a lot in common with Sultans in terms of the way it's written and a nice melody.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
Enough of the Les Boys bashing, it's a good song!  It has a lot in common with Sultans in terms of the way it's written and a nice melody.

Pick Withers even starts to play a discobeat (boom boom boom...). And it features hilarious storytelling by MK.
Boston 1980 is one of the very best "early" bootlegs in my humble opinion.

Errr, I feel a strong attack of oldalbumitis right now, must dig out Communiqu
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:42 PM »

Pick Withers even starts to play a discobeat (boom boom boom...). And it features hilarious storytelling by MK.
Boston 1980 is one of the very best "early" bootlegs in my humble opinion.

I love Boston 1980 too - great versions and sound. :thumbsup

Skateaway+++ 8)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »

totally absolutely in agreement with you.  We may never know why.  My theory is simple, Mark is getting tired of playing it. :) I wonder how many thousands of times SOS has been played throughout his touring career ?????

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »
And my 2 cents on this:

I'd like to hear "les boys" :)

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 01:52:42 AM »
And my 2 cents on this:
I like the variation as well. The more new songs the better as far as I'm concerned. You are right Ingrid, but he has only played sultans 4 times in the last 20 concerts. That to me is seldom. I wonder if those of you who attended the RAH on the final night have witnessed sultans being played live for the final time ever.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »
Im sure he will play it again this tour
Proud member of the AMIT crew

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.