Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 28:2013.06.01, Royal Albert Hall, London, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 28349 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Decided before the show as usual. No way mk takes requests

Birmingham 15.07.98 and MK decided to play Wild Theme because a lady kept shouting out for it.  To be fair though, I my vast MK experience this is the one and only time I can recall! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
even back in the early eighties he did not perform "bequests"
remember the legendary "Skateaway" request.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Thinking of Skateway, it is a shame that such a great tune was played only for one tour.
I spare a thought in memory of all those great songs that Mark played only for one tour then dropped, whereas they would have deserved better:
Skateaway, Love over Gold, Ride Accross the River, The man's too strong, On Every Street, Planet of New Orleans, Iron Hand, You and Your Friend, Golden Heart, Imelda, Junkie Doll, Pyroman, Boom Like That, Border Reiver, Coyote...

OfflineZeeley

• Camerado

Birmingham 15.07.98 and MK decided to play Wild Theme because a lady kept shouting out for it.  To be fair though, I my vast MK experience this is the one and only time I can recall! ;)

You werent probably there but in STP Tour 2001 1st show in Amsterdam MK played WT upon our request cos we kept shouting for it. Since that night he finished every evening with it...
"Maybe I was born on a bad luck day,
 born under a bad sign"....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo

Somebody I know mentioned that in one of the shows in the US that he attended , Mark started playing a bunch of DS songs because fans shouted out requests.  I sort of doubted his story though.   ??? ???

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger

You werent probably there but in STP Tour 2001 1st show in Amsterdam MK played WT upon our request cos we kept shouting for it. Since that night he finished every evening with it...

I was there but can't remember it ????
Something wrong with my memory I think

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

Amsterdam 17/06/2001 was indeed the first 2001 gig with Wild theme.
It's even mentionned on the silver presse bootleg "going to Amsterdam 2001" :
http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1101-0-1-0/114977199/mark-knopfler-dire-straits-going-to-amsterdam-2001.html
I have to listen to it again to check if we can hear request from the audience, but I don't remember such a thing.

I remember though that when I saw him on the 27/06/2001, I knew the setlists before (greatest error in my life), but I was wondering f if he would play wild theme or not, because I think fans were not sure if it was really "fixed" or not, even after Amsterdam, so it was a little "surprise".

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
It is starting to ring a bell, but I am really not sure if it was played because we shouted for it or he just planned it as a probably closer

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
It is starting to ring a bell, but I am really not sure if it was played because we shouted for it or he just planned it as a probably closer

I would guess for the later, because as said before, I don't see Mark playing request (except for dmg's exception ;))

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Even I remember that!

He probably has only ever taken the request of WT because it is only Guy and himself.  He would never want to drop his band in it, so to speak, with an unrehearsed song.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music

I just listen to Amsterdan 2001 again, and I can't say if the crowd influenced Mark's decision or not.
the recording is an audience recording.
After SFA, you can hear the crowd singing "oe oe" and then someting like "we want more" or "we won't go" (can't hear distinctly) :hmm
but it's not very different from others gigs...

then, it's not very long until Mark comes back, so was it planned or not ? difficult to say :think

An then Wild theme is played.
at the beginning of the tune, you can hear a very loud "WE LOVE YOU" shouted. Is it someone form AMIT ? :wave
and just after, the crowd is loughing, maybe after Mark's attitude ? :think

great version. Mark went back to the strat, after some years playing this song on Les Paul : Montserrat 1997, 2000 STP promo tour, (and going home was aslo played on LP in 96).
so this wild theme amsterdam version, played on the 61 strat, is really special : something like coming back to origins !

Love Expresso

About Wild Theme:

This is from Guy's Amsterdam entry from 2001:

Tippex Strat
As some of you are aware, we

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
About Wild Theme:

Tippex Strat

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
About Wild Theme:

Tippex Strat

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
So I attended the RAH show June 1st. What still really stands out for me is that MK must have played the most flawless rendition of SOS I have heard in a LONG time. Wow. Other than that, great show. Nice to have heard Going Home with full band and sax (just wish he'd play it with the Les Paul instead of the Strat/Schecter  but you can't have everything can you), and Dug Up A Diamond. Ruth Moody was lovely. Having been back at the RAH was awesome too, as was meeting some old friends... Looking forward to Frankfurt and Bad Mergentheim now. Really, REALLY want to hear Yon Two Crows. He can drop anything else instead, I don't care!!  ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 40 queries.