Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 27:2013.05.31, Royal Albert Hall, London, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 35195 times)

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.

"First Call"

?

LE

now I am confused, I mean the notes are not all the same, but some of them match....
you might be close LE with "The first call" although I am not 100% convinced , :think

but its the best so far..........or my brain isn't able to handle it , give me a moment to clear it, I need a third party :hmm :lol
thanks  :thumbsup

Hey LE, I think you are very close...  I was on a similar wavelength (pun intended)... I was thinking at first that this was a trumpet from the Big Band era.  And while I still can't place it, I am also wondering if this could be a Chuck-Berry-kind of riff.   :think

If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Sounds a bit like this, which coincidentally is on of the greatest things on YouTube.

Genius. 8)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineLis

• Lady writer

"First Call"

?

LE

now I am confused, I mean the notes are not all the same, but some of them match....
you might be close LE with "The first call" although I am not 100% convinced , :think

but its the best so far..........or my brain isn't able to handle it , give me a moment to clear it, I need a third party :hmm :lol

Hey LE, I think you are very close...  I was on a similar wavelength (pun intended)... I was thinking at first that this was a trumpet from the Big Band era.  And while I still can't place it, I am also wondering if this could be a Chuck-Berry-kind of riff.   :think

So I sent the clip from IUTC over to a good friend, and he immediately pulled "First Call" (used in horse races), and said it sounded like MK "quoted" it (BTW, it's kind of fun putting quotation marks around the word "quoted" hehehe). 

Also, my friend DID agree that the riff sounded Chuck Berry-esque.   :hmm

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:09:29 AM by Lis »
If you ain’t got whiskey

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........

"First Call"

?

LE

So I sent the clip from IUTC over to a good friend, and he immediately pulled "First Call" (used in horse races), and said it sounded like MK "quoted" it (BTW, it's kind of fun putting quotation marks around the word "quoted" hehehe). 

Also, my friend DID agree that the riff sounded Chuck Berry-esque.   :hmm

Lis,
I have compared the "First Call" and the Use to Could solo "tune" simultaneous couple times,
and you may think that Mark improvised a bit, but that is the point for me, what Mark plays I know note by note,
I can play it note by note (no big deal) on my guitar.
A local band in North-Holland (Beverwijk) known as the Ruud Jansen Band, named after the band leader's name Ruud Jansen (GREAT keyboard virtuous BTW) used that exact tune , the way Mark plays it, before they took a break, but that was years ago, and the band changed members often since then, I don't know any of them in person, but I will see if they play the neighborhood soon, to ask it Ruud Jansen.........and hope he remembers that "we take a break-tune"

And I just stopped watching numerous of  Chuck  Berry clips on you-tube , hoping I was lucky to find that riff in a song of his,
because it is played indeed in a CB kind of way.
Was great to hear all his great songs and blues licks, so it was not a punishment :lol
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
Enlight, glad you enjoyed the Chuck Berry clips!  it sounded like a good idea, so I listened to some myself... it's been awhile since I listened to his music -- defintely fun!!

I am still pretty torn over whether this is improvised from "First Call' or something different.  Please keep us posted -- I hope you get to see another  Ruud Jansen show soon!  :)

..Pottel... see what you started!!!  :smack  ;)  :D

If you ain’t got whiskey

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
Now I go beyond mine embarrassment ,

just wanna know the tune, hopefully anybody is still on this topic. :wave
after searching, asking etc. I was no step further.

yesterday I was strumming that tune on guitar  and fooling around with it , it seems to be an end of a tune,
until  I hit a note followed by some others and I had a longer tune, which is also recognizable, the anger part of it is
that I couldn't place that tune which comes  after Marks tune.
Now I am asking , do I have invent another tune or is this the rest of Marks tune and does anybody recognize it now? ? ?

Although I can invite you all @ my home, which would be nice, I thought a cheaper way was to rec. my tune quick and post a stream-link :
so its start after some rumbling with Marks tune which goes over in "mine" in between a shameless lick to connect it for a second time.

does this ring any bells?.................and about my guitar playing: I am sorry :-[

http://www.divshare.com/download/24182484-06d

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
I tried to whistle Mark

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Love that tune.  And I bought Chet Atkins Christmas on iTunes! ::)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Love that tune.  And I bought Chet Atkins Christmas on iTunes! ::)
I  love it too. I discovered it in Lethal weapon 1.
About Mark

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Anyone tried asking guy?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
just wanna know the tune, hopefully anybody is still on this topic. :wave

Although I can invite you all @ my home, which would be nice, I thought a cheaper way was to rec. my tune quick and post a stream-link :
so its start after some rumbling with Marks tune which goes over in "mine" in between a shameless lick to connect it for a second time.

does this ring any bells?.................and about my guitar playing: I am sorry :-[

http://www.divshare.com/download/24182484-06d
Yes!  Still on subject.  Ingrid warned us about this!!!  :hmm

I think you have found a natural ending to the few bars that Mark played -- it sounds like it belongs.  My friend also thinks so.  I am just not sure if it is "the" natural ending   :think
If you ain’t got whiskey

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
This is really insane  :smack Can't get it out of my head. Talked about it with my physiotherapist this morning (he couldn't get it out of his head either, so needless to say the therapy was useless today  ::)) and he came with the name Roger Whittaker whistling this on one of his songs. I tried to listen to some songs/tunes of his at youtube but didn't find it so far.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
It is Jingle Bell Rock isn't it?  I've satisfied myself.

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
Anyone tried asking guy?

I have not Pottel, I am not a registered Fletch forum member,
I am sure he knows , well we have the link to Marks song "Used to Could" above, so who has the nerve??? ...Ingrid ?   ::)

Thanks for the heads up everybody...thx for that, sorry it drives so many people crazy , even outside this forum.

DMG its a thrill to read that you have satisfied yourself  ;D

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
Ok guys, I sent the mail below to Guy. I hope he will answer it  :)

Dear Guy,

I hope you enjoyed your little holiday this week.

As you know we
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:49:01 PM by ingridswing »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 38 queries.