Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 23:2013.05.27, Royal Albert Hall, London, UK # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 27189 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Best show of The tour. Great audience, best seats in ages, front row, middle, sweet. Band were in top form, lot's of twiddly bits on sultans and telegraph road.
Nice to see so many old friends. Details tomorrow,
Was the -performance- of TR better than Istanbul ? Better than 2005 ? Better than Alchemy ? I'm most fascinated with good official performances of this legendary song...

Yes, yes, yes!!!  Just back from London and the first night was the best show I have heard in years.  TR solo was just awesome and seemed longer than any I've heard yet from this tour also. 

I could tell from the very first song it was going to be a good concert;  he came out smiling and stormed into a great version of WII which sounded quite powerful, playing good guitar all the way through.  Then on to a rocking CBC which sounded really good.  In fact every song sounded great, even IDUAD!

The audience were really up for it too and gave a few standing ovations.  I was in row 7, centre and it was a great view.  The people in front never turned up so it gave me a great view.  There was a man to my right in front playing air guitar to every solo!  Quite funny considering his age, but I suppose he's quite right. :lol 

When I saw Mark had kept his Strat on after R&J I knew what was coming and I was wondering if he has been reading this forum!  Very nice version too.

Speedway and TR were absolute killers though.  No superlatives can fully do justice to just how good they sounded.

Oh, how could I possibly have missed out Marbletown.  As usual it seemed to go on forever, but the audience seemed to appreciate it even though I think it's getting to be a bit of an indulgence for John and Glenn.

From the centre of row 7 I didn't make the stage, so just decided to stand at my seat area as everyone else did around me.  The sax in OSL is minimal and GH was, again great.

I also got to meet lots of wonderful people and I very much hope we can all meet again next time.  I also met some people from this forum. ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:25:11 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

Hi, dmg!  :D

I think it was because of the very relaxed and very well scheduled meeting at such a nice place as the Stanhope Arms that the general mood of the fans
was so relaxed and friendly. In the past, when rushing to some o2 Arena or other big venue, there is seldomly enough time to meet and greet and drink and laugh for so many fans before the concert. In front of the stage there is a gathering, yes, but I really think this (I think you already can call it traditional) meeting point is really great!
Walking to the venue together (more or less  ;D ) is another important ingredient, too. I really enjoyed it. Btw Costa Coffee is not that bad, although I revised my plans to change my nickname into Love Costa...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Hi, dmg!  :D

I think it was because of the very relaxed and very well scheduled meeting at such a nice place as the Stanhope Arms that the general mood of the fans
was so relaxed and friendly. In the past, when rushing to some o2 Arena or other big venue, there is seldomly enough time to meet and greet and drink and laugh for so many fans before the concert. In front of the stage there is a gathering, yes, but I really think this (I think you already can call it traditional) meeting point is really great!
Walking to the venue together (more or less  ;D ) is another important ingredient, too. I really enjoyed it. Btw Costa Coffee is not that bad, although I revised my plans to change my nickname into Love Costa...

LE

lol
Well, it could be worse;  it could be Love Starbucks!

Remember, as far as my nickname goes you are one of the select few who knows what the "m" stands for in "dmg!"

I think you're right - a nice pub with no loud music where people can talk to one another is just ideal. :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:11:13 PM by dmg »

Love Expresso

I won't let out the secret   ;)

"Pub" as a typical English institution is something I have not been able to experience so far in that extense. It is much more than only drinking obviously (as I do not drink any alcohol, I don't spend too much time in German taverns anyway). But the part of it that's  called pub "culture" struck me almost immediatly - just have a talk, just go for a pint, watching some football in the time after work and evening - loved it immediately... no cads or drunkards but obviously "neighbourhood" - and the landlord indeed seemed to recognize my at the second meeting which was pretty awesome if you ask me.. 

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Okay, just for you Herlock here is TR (the sound quality doesn't do it justice by the way):

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Okay, just for you Herlock here is TR (the sound quality doesn't do it justice by the way):

Thanks ! How do you rate the performance compared to Instanbul,2005,1983...
?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
?
[/quote]
Well, of course it misses the first solo but the mix is better this tour with the cittern lower and it does have a killer final solo.  MK was on fire all night and feeding off the energy given to him by a quite wonderfully receptive audience.  By all accounts the band thought it was a great performance too.  More importantly, I thought it seemed effortless for him. :think

Love Expresso

I thought the drumming from 12:30 is unusual, quite aggressive? Might be wrong, must admit I haven't listened very much to this song since a few years,
(for my part he could skip it and play 3 other songs instead). But this final was really awesome, it lifted me literally out of my seat! Not that I would have stood up after the song anyway...

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
?
Well, of course it misses the first solo but the mix is better this tour with the cittern lower and it does have a killer final solo.  MK was on fire all night and feeding off the energy given to him by a quite wonderfully receptive audience.  By all accounts the band thought it was a great performance too.  More importantly, I thought it seemed effortless for him. :think
[/quote]thanks ! Sound that this show should have been filmed for Alchemy II.... :/

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
article on the first night:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/music/livereviews/article3776977.ece
anyone got a subscription?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
From The Financial Times:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/4d85dad0-c843-11e2-acc6-00144feab7de.html#axzz2UqlxH500

Why do newspapers send journalists to see bands they know nothing about!    Terrible reporting - at least he could have done his homework first, I mean "What it is", a Dire Straits song!!   ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
article on the first night:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/music/livereviews/article3776977.ece
anyone got a subscription?

I had that paper but photo of it is too big to attach and have no time to resize. So if someone wants that please PM.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
By the way any clue about the shortening of TR ?
This year it clocks at around 13 minutes (sames as Alchemy). In 2010 it clocked easily at 40 seconds longer. Is it because it is played faster ? or something is missing (but I could not identify what) ?
In 2005 TR clocked even at over 14 minutes... maybe something was added at this time, extra licks ?

Love Expresso

The Financial Times review is not too bad! I like the sentence

the solo that rippled through

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 47 queries.