Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 16:2013.05.17, SECC, Glasgow, Scotland # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 50286 times)

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
Re: Concert # 16:2013.05.17, SECC, Glasgow, Scotland # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
Nigel played on Romeo and Juliet, I Used to Could and Going Home. Wonderful concert.

Only three songs?  ??? Perhaps something new tonight? I hope for a video with Nigel on youtube........

Offlinelfblaauw

• Camerado
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
Guy mentioned rehearsing some songs in sound check not yet played which feature Nigel. . Naturally i thought of 2 young lovers, Your latest trick and the intro to RaJ

Well I think that Two Young Lovers would fit his current set. Basic rock'n'roll. But in that case he'd better skip I Used To Could. Would be too much of the same.

Lars  B.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
Guy mentioned rehearsing some songs in sound check not yet played which feature Nigel. . Naturally i thought of 2 young lovers, Your latest trick and the intro to RaJ

Well I think that Two Young Lovers would fit his current set. Basic rock'n'roll. But in that case he'd better skip I Used To Could. Would be too much of the same.

Lars  B.
Yeah, IUTC is the modern TWL...
I was hoping to STP with sax, as it is said to have happened in the Range Rover gig.
And I was expecting WOL with sax (altough not hoping for it), as it also happened in the Range Rover gig. I am just curious to hear how this sounds, even during the OES tour were virtually everything was over-saxophonized, there was no sax on WOL !
Also expecting WAM with sax, like in the 2002 charity gigs, would be nice.
And of course Your Latest Trick, the one song that cannot be played without sax !
Finally, what about OES ? ;)

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »
That's the way I wanna hear my going home. Perfect.

Can't wait for London anymore, a week from now I will be there waiting for monday, but first some meeting some great friends.
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
That's the way I wanna hear my going home. Perfect.

Can't wait for London anymore, a week from now I will be there waiting for monday, but first some meeting some great friends.

Still i can't help asking myself the reason why Nigel only is with MK in the UK??????  :think
It would be great if he joines the ban for the whole tour.....

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Other Commitments? He might not have been available for the whole tour.

I think Mark is changing the set list & arrangements, & bringing in guests to make it more interesting for the band as much as for the audience.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
I thought Nigel could have been better utilised.  Such a great musician and wasted really playing fills mostly until Going Home.

I felt at the concert they rushed through the songs.  Anyone else feel they have been doing this?  I know MK always goes fast but this tour he's breakneck speed and just doesn't stop - makes the concert feel a bit rushed and over before I know it.

IUTC with the sax got a big reception from the crowd and was the best live version I've heard by a country mile.

Regarding the crowd, I thought they weren't as good as they normally are in Glasgow;  no rushing the stage after TR e.g. but there was a couple of interactions with the crowd that were quite funny.  Lot of young people around me surprisingly (about my age ;))!

Did I say Speedway was great last night?  Some slightly different playing in it made for a treat for the lugs.

TR sounded pretty good too although I got the impression MK was being very careful during the final solo and never really "went for it."  Good but all seemed over too quick. :(

There was one song where Mikes' flute didn't seem to be working (no loss there then).  Can't recall the tune right now. :think

WII (this is really in order ::)) was very nice but nobody ever notices the Bonnie Banks... tune he plays or surely they'd applaud? ???

In SFA he said "Glesgae Toon" and again there can't have been many attentive audience members.  I smiled so much at his use of Scottish slang that I'm sure he noticed because I was the only one in the hall!  He looked straight at me I'm sure and then smiled himself! ;D

I walked out still missing Sultans I have to say and I didn't enjoy Gator Blood because I was still seething after not getting it. >:(

Oh, and I bumped into Dusty again after the show!

"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
Thanks for your review!   I hope you enjoyed the show.   Nice that you met Dusty - hopefully he liked the setlist, because it would have been a bit of a surprise for him!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »
Thanks for your review!   I hope you enjoyed the show.   Nice that you met Dusty - hopefully he liked the setlist, because it would have been a bit of a surprise for him!   :)

It certainly was!  Unfortunately the friend he took came to see Sultans. :smack  Exactly the kind of thing we've been talking about.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
I have to be honest I am not a great 'Sax' lover but I have Just listened to clip of 'Going Home' on 'you tube' from last night and I must admit it sounds awesome.
Only 3 nights to go before my first concert of four!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
I have to be honest I am not a great 'Sax' lover but I have Just listened to clip of 'Going Home' on 'you tube' from last night and I must admit it sounds awesome.

The crowd went mad after it.  They absolutely loved it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »

So, they weren't entirely comatose then?      ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

So, they weren't entirely comatose then?      ;D

I think they would have been the usual Weegie maddies if he'd played Sultans! :thumbsup :thumbsup

I saw Crocks standing out the front of the building before the show with 3 other people (assistants?) and when he announced MK he was in a Grey jacket!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:21:04 PM by dmg »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
I'd also like to add to my review that HFB was very nice.  The solo was built up slowly and seemed a bit longer than usual.

That's what you get for writing a review where the songs are all over the place, but I can't remember the songs in order so... ::)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
I wonder if Nigel has been rehearsing the long version of SOS with the band.   Maybe that is why the short version is having a rest - maybe waiting for the RAH!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.