Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 08:2013.05.05, Arena Zagreb, Zagreb, HR # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 44332 times)

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Re: Concert # 08:2013.05.05, Arena Zagreb, Zagreb, HR # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
From a totally selfish point of view, Sultans being out is not a problem to me. I

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
I'm curious what MK will do with the Sultans in places like Antwerp, Amsterdam, Berlin, London and Paris.
Netherlands is the first country after the UK where DS had a big hit with that song.
I can not believe he will not play it there..... Places like Anwerp and so on are also big venues who are (almost) sold out for let us say 15/20.000 people.
With this in mind will he also drop Sultans??? Perhaps i'm totaly wrong here with my reasons.... What do you think??  :think

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
The only only person who knows about it won't answer.

Now almost everything is possible in dropping the undroppable ones...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
From a totally selfish point of view, Sultans being out is not a problem to me. I
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
Someone said Bruce Springsteen plays 200 songs during his tours, does he play Born To Run or Born in the USA at every concert.
I've never seen the Boss live and if I went to one of his concert I'd like to hear his classics (the 2 mentioned before, The River, Hungry heart, Lucky town, Human touch, Streets of Philadelphia and so on). With 200 songs played, I guess only one or two classics get played, no ? (though I'm not sure because his concerts are very long, sometimes almost 4 hours....)
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »
As far as I know, regular fans can encounter a Springsteen-concert without hits like The River, Hungry Heart, Born to Run, Born in the USA etc, but I still feel that Sultans is a major milestone in MKs career, dunno if Springsteen had any such defining hits that created his career..?

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
I just woke up after long night drive. I'm on the phone so got no finger skills to contact admins to properly update setlist on main topic post, and I can't remember fully correct order of the songs anyway, but for those who are interested (until admins edit it properly), here is what I got in memory;

1: What it is
2: CBC
3: Privat.
4: FAS+HF'Blues
5: Kingdom OG
6: I used TC
7: R&J
8: Gator B
9: Postcards
10: P Wedd.
11: MarbleT
12: S@N
13: Tel R. (With lightning "glitch")

Enc
BiA
So far (awfull song to end, no proper goodbye cheering moment).

If I'm countered this right, did we being cutted by -1 song in overall?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:53:28 PM by MisterYES »

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
MK ended DS 20 years ago for going smaller and less known again.
Does he want to blow it up again?
Does he want to please former DS fans who - after 20 years - finally noticed it's him?

I doubt it...
That's why I never understood why he kept playing all these songs.
Great, but DS...
:)
            Still brings me to tears

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
But why refer to the "DS songs" because it was then advertised as a band but solely composed and written by Mark?

Some his solo works are nearly 20 years old now, and yes the DS era songs are even older.

It doesn't make much difference between the DS days and the solo era to me, there are just song that I'd like to hear and some I would not, like WOL and Liston being at the top of my list.

If Mark would perform "It Never rains" (not a DS hit) or "Silvertown Blues" I would be hugely delighted in both case, or for more recent one, "So Far From The Clyde" is THE song I am hoping for.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
Someone said Bruce Springsteen plays 200 songs during his tours, does he play Born To Run or Born in the USA at every concert.
I've never seen the Boss live and if I went to one of his concert I'd like to hear his classics (the 2 mentioned before, The River, Hungry heart, Lucky town, Human touch, Streets of Philadelphia and so on). With 200 songs played, I guess only one or two classics get played, no ? (though I'm not sure because his concerts are very long, sometimes almost 4 hours....)

The thing about Springsteen is that he, as you say, plays for 3,5-4 hours. That means 30-35 songs on one show, and there is always several hits, although the setlist might be completely different from the night before. I guess there is just so many well known songs to pick from, and some songs are of course played more often than others. Dancing in the Dark and Born to Run for instance. These are Springsteen's answer to hits like Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing, I suppose... However, Springsteen also always pick out more of those songs the fans want to hear, B-sides, etc., and with 30-35 songs every night there is no way you will be dissapointed. I think that a song like Sultans of Swing never should be left out. It was DS' first single, and he has played it live every night since. I think it is the song that defines his guitar sound, and I am really having trouble with understanding why he decides to leave it now - when he plays it better than he has done for the last ten years. It is a mystery, but then again - Mark can be quite mysterious...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
I think that the main problem is that SOS is played some nights and not at others.

Because in 2006 and  20011 it has  never been performed and no discussion has erupted then.

So if dropped from the very first  2013 night it would have turned to be "another one gone" such as it happened in 2008 when MFN was left out.

The big question after all is not to leave SOS but what song to replace it. And to date the chosen ones are not of the calibre of SOS.

Just my  0.02

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
I think that the main problem is that SOS is played some nights and not at others.

Because in 2006 and  20011 it has  never been performed and no discussion has erupted then.

So if dropped from the very first  2013 night it would have turned to be "another one gone" such as it happened in 2008 when MFN was left out.

The big question after all is not to leave SOS but what song to replace it. And to date the chosen ones are not of the calibre of SOS.

Just my  0.02
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
But why refer to the "DS songs" because it was then advertised as a band but solely composed and written by Mark?
I only make a difference because MK made it himself.
He wanted DS to be history.
He wanted the huge venues to be in the past.
He wanted to be touring with a small number of roadies to know personally...

That's why I wonder, and hey, just as the DS fans, I as an MK fan have a right, too, to be disappointed.
Disappointed to get DS instead if MK...!

Just kidding, but I really wish for an MK-solo-set only
            Still brings me to tears

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
It will probably not mean diddly squat to anyone on here but I am going to post this last message of here section of the forum.

I'm utterly dismayed with some of the stuff written of late regarding the songs that MK has played. Let's be very clear, it is a personal choice what he wishes to bring to his live performance. His catalogue of songs is massive and rightly so.... he's been writing and recording songs for 35 years now.

All this nonsense of "I can't believe he's not played Sultans" is utterly bewildering to me..... so what? I say this from the view point of being a mega DS/Knopfler fan.... We have had the privilege over all the years to see a master at work, a master writing year in, year out remarkable songs of beauty. I'd love to hear Sultans when or if I get a chance to see him live but I'd Equally love to hear other songs that have been dropped of never performed before. Get real..... he is never going to please everyone, It's a rather beautiful predicament to be in from Knopfler's point of view.

Also on the subject of some people's comments regarding "mistakes" in sultans etc... again, get real.... he's human, long have the days gone where we didn't have access to youtube and other media sites to show every single nook and cranny of an artist's performance.... EVERYONE makes mistakes, always have, always will, WE JUST NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO HEAR THEM... stop living in the past where we only had recordings of Alchemy, Basel etc  and understand that we are privy these days to see every solitary bit..

Whilst on the subject of Sultans... Knopfler's performances this tour have been stella pretty much so far.... he's a demon on guitar and who else really does do the business like him any more, particularly near their mid sixties?

Anyway, Rant over.... enjoy what we hear and embrace what we have left with Knopfler.... Rock On

Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.