Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 08:2013.05.05, Arena Zagreb, Zagreb, HR # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 44309 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Concert # 08:2013.05.05, Arena Zagreb, Zagreb, HR # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Nice post. Didn't understand the first line though - I hope you will not leave the forum but only mean to stop posting here at this thread.

Not long ago (one week?) I found myself in the middle of some action that with maybe was  caused by too much sun and too many new songs in a too short time played by Mark. I was angry for 30 minutes and after that - I learned: let them talk. If they feel better after it - it''s ok. This forum might be the right place for it. It is difficult to keep up with all these  posts in the last days, and flying through hundreds of posts and reading all the same all the time is quite annoying maybe, but maybe it is part of the balance of the forum. I think that the key is MK's outstanding and exceptional long and active career. He really plays music since 1978, releasing albums, doing tours and stuff... So it is logical to me that over this immense timeframe, he appealed to lots of people from lots of countries with lots of different ages... and that's the secret.. this forum is a melting pot of very different people from all kind of places, from 17 (?) to 80 (?) ... so it is just normal that these world collide sometimes... Just don't feel the need to answer them, don't try to convert them, just let them talk. You will always find people that are on the same page with you for sure among these AMITERS who after all happen to be a pretty nice bunch of people all over all...

Reading 5 minutes the posts on ER might heal anyone from thinking that this place is tiring at times...

:)

LE
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:58:42 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »
It will probably not mean diddly squat to anyone on here but I am going to post this last message of here section of the forum.

I'm utterly dismayed with some of the stuff written of late regarding the songs that MK has played. Let's be very clear, it is a personal choice what he wishes to bring to his live performance. His catalogue of songs is massive and rightly so.... he's been writing and recording songs for 35 years now.

All this nonsense of "I can't believe he's not played Sultans" is utterly bewildering to me..... so what? I say this from the view point of being a mega DS/Knopfler fan.... We have had the privilege over all the years to see a master at work, a master writing year in, year out remarkable songs of beauty. I'd love to hear Sultans when or if I get a chance to see him live but I'd Equally love to hear other songs that have been dropped of never performed before. Get real..... he is never going to please everyone, It's a rather beautiful predicament to be in from Knopfler's point of view.

Also on the subject of some people's comments regarding "mistakes" in sultans etc... again, get real.... he's human, long have the days gone where we didn't have access to youtube and other media sites to show every single nook and cranny of an artist's performance.... EVERYONE makes mistakes, always have, always will, WE JUST NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO HEAR THEM... stop living in the past where we only had recordings of Alchemy, Basel etc  and understand that we are privy these days to see every solitary bit..

Whilst on the subject of Sultans... Knopfler's performances this tour have been stella pretty much so far.... he's a demon on guitar and who else really does do the business like him any more, particularly near their mid sixties?

Anyway, Rant over.... enjoy what we hear and embrace what we have left with Knopfler.... Rock On

:clap :clap :clap
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »
SOS in an historic, iconic song so it deserve a discussion here even if we disagree about it.

When comes the time you don't get pleasure going listen to Mark anymore then it is time to stop to going listening him. But it can be a very difficult decision to take or to admit you have to especially if you  have been in love with its music for decade(s)...

But as long as you feel the need to speak about it, in good or in bad, it is that there is still passion for it.
And Mark is very lucky to still have enough fan to fill the room and allow him to tour every two years or so. If he had not been huge in a past life I would not bet he could get so many people to come to listen songs like True Love Will Never Fade...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2013, 08:45:40 PM »
Reading 5 minutes the posts on ER might heal anyone from thinking that this place is tiring at times...
 :)
LE

ER ?? ??
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

Love Expresso

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
Expecting Rain, Bob Dylan's fan forum... have no link at hand at the mo...

LE

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
OK thanks.
Not familiar, but no link needed ;)
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
Someone said Bruce Springsteen plays 200 songs during his tours, does he play Born To Run or Born in the USA at every concert.
I've never seen the Boss live and if I went to one of his concert I'd like to hear his classics (the 2 mentioned before, The River, Hungry heart, Lucky town, Human touch, Streets of Philadelphia and so on). With 200 songs played, I guess only one or two classics get played, no ? (though I'm not sure because his concerts are very long, sometimes almost 4 hours....)

The thing about Springsteen is that he, as you say, plays for 3,5-4 hours. That means 30-35 songs on one show, and there is always several hits, although the setlist might be completely different from the night before. I guess there is just so many well known songs to pick from, and some songs are of course played more often than others. Dancing in the Dark and Born to Run for instance. These are Springsteen's answer to hits like Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing, I suppose... However, Springsteen also always pick out more of those songs the fans want to hear, B-sides, etc., and with 30-35 songs every night there is no way you will be dissapointed. I think that a song like Sultans of Swing never should be left out. It was DS' first single, and he has played it live every night since. I think it is the song that defines his guitar sound, and I am really having trouble with understanding why he decides to leave it now - when he plays it better than he has done for the last ten years. It is a mystery, but then again - Mark can be quite mysterious...

I saw Bruce in 93. I don't remember exactly all songs played.
At this time, there wasn't the "public-whish-ste-list" thing

I remember for sure :
born in the USA (introduced by the star spangled banner played in Hendrix style by Bruce himself)
the river
because the night
several acoustics tunes (from tom joad, and maybe from nebraska)

I don't remember (but it doesn't mean for sure they weren't played):
hungry heart
darkness
born to run

same year, I saw Santana, and I remember very well that he did NOT played Europa, and I was very disapointed.
I was in 1st row, with a huge fan (he met santana sevreal times), and he wasn't disapointed at all

a little bit the same thing we discuss here :
hadrcore fans don't really care for hits
occasionnal fans expect the usual hits

But, I do think that Sultans should be played every MK gig. Strange that he never dropped Romeo (not in 2006, not in 2011-2012), but he dropped sultans.
That means, that he thinks that Romeo is a more "iconic" song from his career, than sultans ?

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
hahah yeah I meant this part of the forum as in the Privateering tour section :)

Anyway, I've made myself pretty clear and thanks to anyone who understands what my stance is :)

Keep Knopflering everyone
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
I think that the main problem is that SOS is played some nights and not at others.

Because in 2006 and  20011 it has  never been performed and no discussion has erupted then.

So if dropped from the very first  2013 night it would have turned to be "another one gone" such as it happened in 2008 when MFN was left out.

The big question after all is not to leave SOS but what song to replace it. And to date the chosen ones are not of the calibre of SOS.

Just my  0.02

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »
But, I do think that Sultans should be played every MK gig. Strange that he never dropped Romeo (not in 2006, not in 2011-2012), but he dropped sultans.
That means, that he thinks that Romeo is a more "iconic" song from his career, than sultans ?

Mark stated that R&J was his fave (DS) song.
I can only remember the NHB gigs to drop that one and otherwise keep some DS tunes in the setlist (Calling Elvis, Water Of Love & Why Worry).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:21:31 PM by ds1984 »

Offlineknopfler83

• Guitar George
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
It will probably not mean diddly squat to anyone on here but I am going to post this last message of here section of the forum.

I'm utterly dismayed with some of the stuff written of late regarding the songs that MK has played. Let's be very clear, it is a personal choice what he wishes to bring to his live performance. His catalogue of songs is massive and rightly so.... he's been writing and recording songs for 35 years now.

All this nonsense of "I can't believe he's not played Sultans" is utterly bewildering to me..... so what? I say this from the view point of being a mega DS/Knopfler fan.... We have had the privilege over all the years to see a master at work, a master writing year in, year out remarkable songs of beauty. I'd love to hear Sultans when or if I get a chance to see him live but I'd Equally love to hear other songs that have been dropped of never performed before. Get real..... he is never going to please everyone, It's a rather beautiful predicament to be in from Knopfler's point of view.

Also on the subject of some people's comments regarding "mistakes" in sultans etc... again, get real.... he's human, long have the days gone where we didn't have access to youtube and other media sites to show every single nook and cranny of an artist's performance.... EVERYONE makes mistakes, always have, always will, WE JUST NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO HEAR THEM... stop living in the past where we only had recordings of Alchemy, Basel etc  and understand that we are privy these days to see every solitary bit..

Whilst on the subject of Sultans... Knopfler's performances this tour have been stella pretty much so far.... he's a demon on guitar and who else really does do the business like him any more, particularly near their mid sixties?

Anyway, Rant over.... enjoy what we hear and embrace what we have left with Knopfler.... Rock On

I've always read the forum, but never posted. But there has been much more debate this tour and I wanted to add my thoughts.

I always get to a few gigs each tour, I'm 29, so never watched Dire Straits in their day sadly  :'(

In short, Sultans Of Swing has to be played. Fact. People that go to the gigs will ALL agree, the tracks that get the loudest cheers, the tracks which get the standing ovations, the tracks that 99% of the crowd enjoy the most and go to see, are the classic.

These are Sultans, Romeo, So Far Away, Brothers In Arms, Telegraph Road etc etc.

I would personally choose him to play more Dire Straits songs, I would personally prefer 80% DS 20% solo. These are the songs that made him famous, these are (80% wise) the best songs he ever produced. And I know I speak for 99% of the crowd that go to these gigs.... There would be meyhem if they started the waltz to Tunnel of Love. The crowd would burst. We all know this.

Sadly lots of Knopflers solo songs are poor. Many are slow. Many are boring. There are a few good ones, there are a few exceptional ones. Sadly though, even these are omitted from his live shows.

Knopfler is however class, in all ways. As a person, as a songwriter, as a guitarist, as a performer.

The band are world-class, but some of the songs they choose to play are not. It's a shame. Knopfler has so many amazing songs, it's a shame he doesn't play more of them. Confusing even.

Dropping Sultans for song for sonny liston, I'm sorry, this is not only the worst decision in music history, it's an insult to fans that PAY to go and watch these concerts. If it wasn't for the fans, knopfler and co couldn't and wouldn't tour. It's a decision they make before the show, and if one person can give a valid reason for Sultans not being played I'd like to hear it.

I'm sure most people that post here have been to a concert. You are living in denial if you don't see the reaction to the DS classics compared to the mostly dull solo songs.

I don't understand the decision of the band behind it, but it's an insult.

The band are amazing, and always a joy to watch. But jesus, they could be so much better and so much more enjoyable if they played the world class songs at their disposal instead of the 6/7 dull songs they seem to continue to play. I'm sure you won't all agree with my comments, but go to a concert, and tell me if what I'm saying is wrong.

The bottom line - If Knopfler doesn't play sultans its a slap in the face to the paying public, the ones that allow him to tour, and allow him to have such an amazing lifestyle. I hope he knows deep down which his best songs are, I'm sure he does, when he hears the cheers and excitement well he plays them. Song For Sonny Liston - please, don't make me laugh.....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
One good valid reason :  he's the artist.

We take it or we leave it.

But I'm pretty sure that despite dropping SOS there will be still a great amount of people to keep going to his shows.

Offlineknopfler83

• Guitar George
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »

But I'm pretty sure that despite dropping SOS there will be still a great amount of people to keep going to his shows.

Why go against 99%?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »

Why go against 99%?

He has chosen to be a free man and play what he likes not what "we" would like him to play.

He is not a "crowd pleaser" artist. And if the 1% remaining is enough to fill the room where he plays it's OK to him. Otherwise he would not have dissolved DS and would be "
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:14:14 PM by ds1984 »

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

I've always read the forum, but never posted. But there has been much more debate this tour and I wanted to add my thoughts.

I always get to a few gigs each tour, I'm 29, so never watched Dire Straits in their day sadly  :'(

In short, Sultans Of Swing has to be played. Fact. People that go to the gigs will ALL agree, the tracks that get the loudest cheers, the tracks which get the standing ovations, the tracks that 99% of the crowd enjoy the most and go to see, are the classic.

These are Sultans, Romeo, So Far Away, Brothers In Arms, Telegraph Road etc etc.

I would personally choose him to play more Dire Straits songs, I would personally prefer 80% DS 20% solo. These are the songs that made him famous, these are (80% wise) the best songs he ever produced. And I know I speak for 99% of the crowd that go to these gigs.... There would be meyhem if they started the waltz to Tunnel of Love. The crowd would burst. We all know this.

Sadly lots of Knopflers solo songs are poor. Many are slow. Many are boring. There are a few good ones, there are a few exceptional ones. Sadly though, even these are omitted from his live shows.

Knopfler is however class, in all ways. As a person, as a songwriter, as a guitarist, as a performer.

The band are world-class, but some of the songs they choose to play are not. It's a shame. Knopfler has so many amazing songs, it's a shame he doesn't play more of them. Confusing even.

Dropping Sultans for song for sonny liston, I'm sorry, this is not only the worst decision in music history, it's an insult to fans that PAY to go and watch these concerts. If it wasn't for the fans, knopfler and co couldn't and wouldn't tour. It's a decision they make before the show, and if one person can give a valid reason for Sultans not being played I'd like to hear it.

I'm sure most people that post here have been to a concert. You are living in denial if you don't see the reaction to the DS classics compared to the mostly dull solo songs.

I don't understand the decision of the band behind it, but it's an insult.

The band are amazing, and always a joy to watch. But jesus, they could be so much better and so much more enjoyable if they played the world class songs at their disposal instead of the 6/7 dull songs they seem to continue to play. I'm sure you won't all agree with my comments, but go to a concert, and tell me if what I'm saying is wrong.

The bottom line - If Knopfler doesn't play sultans its a slap in the face to the paying public, the ones that allow him to tour, and allow him to have such an amazing lifestyle. I hope he knows deep down which his best songs are, I'm sure he does, when he hears the cheers and excitement well he plays them. Song For Sonny Liston - please, don't make me laugh.....
Interesting and frank thoughts, I appreciate them  :) And I must say, I am even younger than you, only 26, I was also never able to experience DS live, I think this is one main difference between us here in the forum, I have the feeling that the ones of you whose old enough to have followed MK through most of his career and in practice could have been able to hear f.ex Sultans live since 1978, is more "tired" of, doesnt care that much, and doesnt understand the reasoning for us fans who has not had the privilege to experience these classics over a couple of decades. For some of you its just complaints and rants. Just a thought tough, dont shoot me :) ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 42 queries.