Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Lot's happening with The Straits...  (Read 40744 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Lot's happening with The Straits...
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »

UPD It was here originally: http://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php/topic,2354.msg46644.html#msg46644

For me privately it was NOT sounded like a joke at all. If it was a joke, so it was the most ridiculous joke ever.

Too bad the video is gone.

Alan did some great job for Dire Straits and had become part of their signature sound (and 1000% more than GF for MK solo) but you can't pretend being a Dire Straits reincarnation without Mark - he was the nucleus of it with his characteristic singing and guitar playing.

And this is were Alan can be wrong when he starts to make comparison between The Straits and Dire Straits, if the topping is the same and you will get some similar taste for it, the rest of the cake is not Dire Straits.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
I wonder what happened with the album they were recording with their own material - seems a long time ago since it was mentioned.   :think

As far as any new releases in the future, according to White, it's a possibility.
"We are putting some stuff down and we plan, when we have time, to get it on the Internet for people to hear if they like," he said. "We don't want to rush it. That would be wrong."
So, for now, the group is pleased with the tour and their performances.
"We work well together on stage," White said. "We are lucky to have this group of musicians together."

http://www.theledger.com/article/20140319/ENT/403195003/1001/business?Title=The-Straits

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2014, 03:37:26 PM »
I wonder what happened with the album they were recording with their own material - seems a long time ago since it was mentioned.   :think

As far as any new releases in the future, according to White, it's a possibility.
"We are putting some stuff down and we plan, when we have time, to get it on the Internet for people to hear if they like," he said. "We don't want to rush it. That would be wrong."
So, for now, the group is pleased with the tour and their performances.
"We work well together on stage," White said. "We are lucky to have this group of musicians together."

http://www.theledger.com/article/20140319/ENT/403195003/1001/business?Title=The-Straits

Thank you!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
I suppose the main question for these guys would be: is there enough money in it for us to make our own album worthwhile? :disbelief
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »
I suppose the main question for these guys would be: is there enough money in it for us to make our own album worthwhile? :disbelief

Meanwhile they carry on down that dead-end road!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »

Well, if they release own material under the current name, I am sure even the sensitivity threshold of MK will be exceeded and he will sue; If they change name, not much money to earn...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »
We have to assume that "The Straits" is NOT "dIRE sTRAITS" so they can do what they want under THEIR name (even if I am not pleased by it).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:53:19 PM by ds1984 »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
Sue? On what grounds? Come on guys and gals, don't mix imagined ethics with law. After all even if MK proceeds with it, these things take time, cost money, break relations, make people outside the fan circle wonder etc. I believe that the time spent on them is way too much if you don't care.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:54:27 PM by vgonis »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Imagined ethics is what describe many posts the best way...
So Long

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Sue? On what grounds? ...

again from the other thread:
http://www.saratogian.com/arts-and-entertainment/20140311/the-straits-to-perform-at-the-palace-in-albany

I think some of you have no idea of what is intellectual property. Also Guy have mentioned often that in principle all tribute bands are illegal; anyway, they are accepted, but when it becomes as big as the straits with a clear commercial objective they are usually not (you can find many examples). And also they can of course not do what they want when they release something under the current name due to name co-incidance with dire straits; any lawyer will tell you. 

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »
Mark Knopfler does not owns "The Straits" name and no legal authorities has stated that "The Straits" name being counterfeiting or misleading the Dire straits brand so from that point it's green for them.

It may be disturbing for the DS fan but The Straits can play the music they like as long long as they remain within the applicable laws (each country has his owns) you can't forbid them to play your music.

So even if The Straits would be doing it for the money they are musician and they also need to eat.
This is their job after all and it is all up to the public to attend or not their shows.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
Mark Knopfler does not owns "The Straits" name and no legal authorities has stated that "The Straits" name being counterfeiting or misleading the Dire straits brand so from that point it's green for them.

It may be disturbing for the DS fan but The Straits can play the music they like as long long as they remain within the applicable laws (each country has his owns) you can't forbid them to play your music.

So even if The Straits would be doing it for the money they are musician and they also need to eat.
This is their job after all and it is all up to the public to attend or not their shows.

:clap  :clap  :clap   :clap
So Long

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »

http://www.saratogian.com/arts-and-entertainment/20140311/the-straits-to-perform-at-the-palace-in-albany

I think some of you have no idea of what is intellectual property. Also Guy have mentioned often that in principle all tribute bands are illegal; anyway, they are accepted, but when it becomes as big as the straits with a clear commercial objective they are usually not (you can find many examples). And also they can of course not do what they want when they release something under the current name due to name co-incidance with dire straits; any lawyer will tell you. 

Actually the intellectual property is backed by  a series of laws that are open to interpretation from a court, taking into account a great number of factors. As such, it is not safe to say a priory which part will win. Usually the time consuming and money demanding cases, benefit the party with more money, even if in the end he loses  the case. Chris White is talking about this really. Restraining orders etc. As for the right to play the music live, if they pay the copyright holder the amount of money that the law describes and they do a serious job (in a mockery case they can deny him the right to play the songs) I don't think that there is an actual problem. Dire straits and The straits are two different things. I believe they won't be having problems with the name and their own material. If there was an issue with the name it would have appeared already, since now they play DS songs.
Anyway, in the big river of time and events we live in, do you really think that many people give the  attention we do?

There is so much music out there, waiting to be heard. Listen to the late Jackie Leven' s CDs or John Martyn, Nick Drake, Marissa Nadler, Karen Dalton, Jo-Ann Kelly and so many others.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »

Actually the intellectual property is backed by  a series of laws that are open to interpretation from a court, taking into account a great number of factors. As such, it is not safe to say a priory which part will win. Usually the time consuming and money demanding cases, benefit the party with more money, even if in the end he loses  the case. Chris White is talking about this really. Restraining orders etc. As for the right to play the music live, if they pay the copyright holder the amount of money that the law describes and they do a serious job (in a mockery case they can deny him the right to play the songs) I don't think that there is an actual problem. Dire straits and The straits are two different things. I believe they won't be having problems with the name and their own material. If there was an issue with the name it would have appeared already, since now they play DS songs.
Anyway, in the big river of time and events we live in, do you really think that many people give the  attention we do?

There is so much music out there, waiting to be heard. Listen to the late Jackie Leven' s CDs or John Martyn, Nick Drake, Marissa Nadler, Karen Dalton, Jo-Ann Kelly and so many others.

I don

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »

@ds1984: About the name issue, I am 100% sure they will be sued, if they release new material under that name and at the same go on a commercial tour like this playing dire straits material. Don

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 39 queries.