Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Lot's happening with The Straits...  (Read 40739 times)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
Re: Lot's happening with The Straits...
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
Didn

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:43:53 PM by Jarle »
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
I'd say that Alan wanted to say that they had their role in the band too, not that MK wasnt important. Actually to play as The Straits, MK is not important at all as they are playing his songs with at least two musicians that used to play them, and even helped to create the arrangements of the MK songs.

And they can't be Dire Straits without MK.

Its a bit tricky comment by Alan, but I got it right from the first time.
So Long

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
So Long

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:04:59 PM by junkiedoll »

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »

Thats your opinion, and I strongly disagree. You choose to be mad about him. I choose to enjoy this new chance that they give me as i never saw Dire Straits live, and thanks to MK, i will never see.

I enjoy what lasts of the band, one side I have the leader, guitar, singer and songwriter, and other side I have a band with two ex members keeping the legacy, that MK ignores (and its entitled to do it) alive and kicking. You are the one that chooses to be angry, i choose to enjoy them.

You choose to interpretate his words as an insult, i choose to go deeper instead and understand what he really means, instead of being angry about whatever it looks like an attack to MK.

I win.

But everybody is free to choose.

So Long

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »

Thats your opinion, and I strongly disagree. You choose to be mad about him. I choose to enjoy this new chance that they give me as i never saw Dire Straits live, and thanks to MK, i will never see.

I enjoy what lasts of the band, one side I have the leader, guitar, singer and songwriter, and other side I have a band with two ex members keeping the legacy, that MK ignores (and its entitled to do it) alive and kicking. You are the one that chooses to be angry, i choose to enjoy them.

You choose to interpretate his words as an insult, i choose to go deeper instead and understand what he really means, instead of being angry about whatever it looks like an attack to MK.

I win.

But everybody is free to choose.

I am sorry, for me thats not a matter of choose or interpretation, this is a matter of facts. Of course you are entitled to enjoy the straits, this is not my cup of tea; but about statements from Clark is no matter of choose or a matter of how to understand, it is so obvious, you must be kidding if you don

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2014, 11:44:44 PM »
Good for you.
So Long

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »
Good for you.

Why good for me? Also this strange category I don

foma

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:50 AM »
Why, oh God, why they made this solo Communique version? Where on Earth MK done something like that? Well, it's OK with one verse, but the whole song?! I even don't talk about the riff played so completely wrong. This band certainly not in the DS standards of perfection, and THAT is strange part when Clark saying 'All cover bands are bad'. C'mon Alan, make your cover band not so bad first, then talk!

I just can't listen a group where only keys and sax represented at wanted level. The only door that The Straits and Legends opened up for me it's -- man, you have to write your own material.

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2014, 07:50:41 AM »
You can't help but have empathy for Chris White when he says "it's tough out there" at about the 1:20 mark of this YouTube clip and then explains that with The Straits they are greeted enthusiastically every time.

Empathy aside, however, as Val said (unless The Straits morph into their own thing) it is a dead-end road. Certainly these fine musicians can ply their talents as they like, but, for me, I see it as rather tragic that they feel a need to be attempting to rekindle DS's glory days. I think MK understands that the past is the past and conducts himself with a pioneering dignity that is true to himself. I know that MK's wishes and some of his fans wishes don't mesh, but he's the one who needs to do what is right for him.

My wish for The Straits, especially Chris who seems like a nice guy, is that they find their own way to success without riding on the talent of MK.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 09:05:06 AM »
I wonder what happened with the album they were recording with their own material - seems a long time ago since it was mentioned.   :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
I bet it will come. And it will be sold at their concerts. But as I've said, nowadays it is a tricky situation getting noticed even with brilliant songs. Let's hope they serve such. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 40 queries.