Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Lot's happening with The Straits...  (Read 40756 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Lot's happening with The Straits...
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
Well during the last tour he had reworked "I Dug Up A Diamond" and I must admit that I do prefer the 2006 version.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »
The more rock influenced and faster DS songs always make the atmosphere in the hall far better than the rather bland, sedate flute and whistle inspired stuff of recent albums that send half the hall to sleep.

Bland and sedate could never have described the John, Mike & John concert I attended on Friday.   It was a very toe-tapping affair with many standing ovations and lasted for more than three hours!   A member of the audience even did a few Irish jigs in front of the band!  You'd have loved it, but then again.......... :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2014, 06:34:39 PM »
I was there, absolutely fabulous show.
And if you like DS songs only, you have to go to the tributebands

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2014, 06:44:51 PM »
The more rock influenced and faster DS songs always make the atmosphere in the hall far better than the rather bland, sedate flute and whistle inspired stuff of recent albums that send half the hall to sleep.

Bland and sedate could never have described the John, Mike & John concert I attended on Friday.   It was a very toe-tapping affair with many standing ovations and lasted for more than three hours!   A member of the audience even did a few Irish jigs in front of the band!  You'd have loved it, but then again.......... :think

I think that's to do with expectations and different audience groups.  The attendees at the show you refer to will be avid fans of this type of music and will therefore be very appreciative of it.  However, a lot of people attending Knopfler concerts will not be so familiar with his newer albums and even if they are, may be expecting him to play the oldies at the concerts.  This is why when the flutes and whistles come out a lot of the hall dozes off and they just seem to be waiting for the next song in the vain hope that it's one they'll recognise from the DS catalogue.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »
The question is not to like only the DS songs, it would be much easier then.

On the contrary Mark tend to always play the same DS stuff until he drops it, whereas over the years he could have kept a rotating 30 % of the show revisiting DS songs, 30% rotating past solo stuff and 30% for new stuff.

And the remaining 10?

For the gratuity of course! ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
The question is not to like only the DS songs, it would be much easier then.

On the contrary Mark tend to always play the same DS stuff until he drops it, whereas over the years he could have kept a rotating 30 % of the show revisiting DS songs, 30% rotating past solo stuff and 30% for new stuff.

And the remaining 10?

For the gratuity of course! ;D

Remaining 10%?  Why Sultans of course!  Got to keep the punters happy.  It's actually incredibly arrogant and selfish to play what you like and just not bother about what your paying fans want when you think about it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:01:32 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 07:33:28 PM »
"This is why when the flutes and whistles come out a lot of the hall dozes off and they just seem to be waiting for the next song in the vain hope that it's one they'll recognise from the DS catalogue."

Oh dear, you make going to an MK concert sound a very dismal, dreary experience!    It's a wonder anyone attends at all!   You and I were at the same two shows at the RAH last year and it seemed to me that the audience had a great time - I didn't notice too many people dozing off anyway!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
"This is why when the flutes and whistles come out a lot of the hall dozes off and they just seem to be waiting for the next song in the vain hope that it's one they'll recognise from the DS catalogue."

Oh dear, you make going to an MK concert sound a very dismal, dreary experience!    It's a wonder anyone attends at all!   You and I were at the same two shows at the RAH last year and it seemed to me that the audience had a great time - I didn't notice too many people dozing off anyway!    :)

I set my alarm for 10 mins when your favourite song started and had forty winks! ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »

I set my alarm for 10 mins when your favourite song started and had forty winks! ;)

Oh, is that what I thought was ringing in my ears!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
talking about dozing offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff..........

Good thing about this straits stuff is that jackal wrote two messages on Guy's forum! Nice to see he is still alive and kicking and obviously still interested in MK and Guy, or at least reading his forum...  :wave

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »

Remaining 10%?  Why Sultans of course!  Got to keep the punters happy.  It's actually incredibly arrogant and selfish to play what you like and just not bother about what your paying fans want when you think about it.

This is a way to see it.

BB King like say that he plays to make his audience happy. That's the "entertainer artist"point of view.

On the other side, the "honest artist" point of view, I play what I want to play, if you like come to listen, if you don't like it'd better you stay at home. More or less what he has done since he doesn't want to play the stadium size anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

This is a way to see it.

BB King like say that he plays to make his audience happy. That's the "entertainer artist"point of view.

On the other side, the "honest artist" point of view, I play what I want to play, if you like come to listen, if you don't like it'd better you stay at home. More or less what he has done since he doesn't want to play the stadium size anymore.

And that attitude isn't fair for those who prefer the previous style of music he used to churn out.  It'd be different if his style hadn't changed so radically.  As I said:  arrogant and selfish.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
It is not about art, or anyway not art like we think of it. It has to do more with a person that can not be living in the past all his life. He is not in the oldies circuit, he has great new music every couple of years and he never denied his past, it is just that too many new songs are in the mix. I wish he could play 3-4 hours and play all the oldies and the new, but since this is not the case, I will go for the new songs. After all he has being allowing live recordings and you can hear all the great songs from the great eras, several hundreds of times. 
You know it reminds me of some of my old aunties that still see me as a small kid and ask me about those days, games I played and the same old, like I have never grown up and have new interests. Like going to a gallery and seeing he same photos or paintings for the second and third time and wondering, where is the new staff, why is he still bothering us with the same old things, no matter how good they are.
Yes, I understand that this is a live experience and all the examples I use are not, but still you get the point. I hope!  ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »
I see the point and I certainly have enough old DS bootlegs anyway!  However, I think he could mix it up a little in the set;  I don't want a "greatest hits tour" kind of thing but would rather have some of the DS songs interspersed between the new in order to liven the show up a bit.  Everybody happy!  I think the shows are perhaps getting a little too "sleepy" in parts.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
talking about dozing offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff..........

Good thing about this straits stuff is that jackal wrote two messages on Guy's forum! Nice to see he is still alive and kicking and obviously still interested in MK and Guy, or at least reading his forum...  :wave

LE

yes he posts from time to time on Guy's forum, it's not the first time I see his name.
we talked briefly last year on soundcloud-mail
you can listen to his music :
https://soundcloud.com/tds-music-library

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 40 queries.