Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 04:2013.04.30, Kombank Arena, Belgrade, RS # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 87350 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I've had a strange dream this night. It was a MK concert that I attended with my brother. It was his first MK gig and we had a lovely time. In the middle of the fantastic Romeo And Juliet, we could feel the adrenalin getting higher. We knew that the climax of the evening was really close now. Based on a lot of videos at the internet, we could'nt wait anymore to hear the fresh,fast and powerful version of Sultans Of Swing played in the few shows before this evening. Now we were placed on the front of our seats, just to be clear for the magic moment  ;D ;D

But instead of Sultans we got Song For Sonny Liston ( of all songs, just to make the situation even more confused ) :o :o
It wasn't easy to find a face that could match such an anti-climax  :think :think

Strange and weird dream indeed................................................

You're lucky, because I didn't sleep at all last night. :(
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
Don't get me wrong Superval.
I love R&J, too.
It's just been overplayed imho

But both you and Pottel are male!   I rest my case!    ;D
I would never go pee or walk out for another reason.
I love it.
I only must have heard it too often.
WOULD maybe happen to other greats such as TOL as well, if it had been overplayed so much.. ;)

But yes, I am male...
I still LOOOVE WW, OSL, AWITN, HA, MYB... ;)
and LES BOYS ;D
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
R&j is well known as my pee break

That's an age thing if it's that early in the concert! ;)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
Mk is taking care of you.
If you miss that pee break ,  don't worry , Uncle Mark will play Dwb, Shangri la, miss you blues, 515 am, ...

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo

That's an age thing if it's that early in the concert! ;)
For normal people there's miss you blues or shangri la later in the set.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

It's not a specific song that made him great.
He is great wthout SOS.
But SOS is a great song without a doubt...

I could do without R&J.
I bet the whingeing was the same if the latter had been omitted...
Funny  :lol

Just my 2 cents...
[/quote]

Disagree.  Sultans is the song that made him great.  Without it he/DS may not have broke or got on the air.  Also, 90% of people going to the concerts expect to hear MFN, BIA or Sultans and now he didn't play any!  Fans last night will look retrospectively on it as disappointing because they didn't hear their hits.  As Mark says himself:  "these songs are like milestones in peoples lives."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

He is great wthout SOS.

I could do without R&J.

Just my 2 cents...

Disagree.  Sultans is the song that made him great.  Without it he/DS may not have broke or got on the air.  Also, 90% of people going to the concerts expect to hear MFN, BIA or Sultans and now he didn't play any!  Fans last night will look retrospectively on it as disappointing because they didn't hear their hits.  As Mark says himself:  "these songs are like milestones in peoples lives."
[/quote]

Agree, dmg!     :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

He is great wthout SOS.

I could do without R&J.

Just my 2 cents...

[/quote]

Agreed. Removing Sultans really disturbs me. So far Mark has managed to keep a small, but excellent core subset of DS, that captures well what it was about: Sultans (the one that started it all and remains one of the best songs of all times), R&J (the romantic one, personnally I'm tired of it and I think TOL would be a much better representative of the Making Movies Period), TR (the peak of musical complexity, flirting with progressive Rock, Pink Floyd style), and BIA (maybe the most touching song of all times). Ocassionnally, SFA, which is nice but no masterpiece and can be disposable. I'm glad he removed WOL, which is what people used to say DS was just pop music. I wish MFN would be resurrected, it was a hit but it is a very good song. To make the set perfect OES should come back as a representative of the OES album (better than Calling Elvis !).

But removing Sultans, like it would be for TR or BIA, is really disturbing. The core DS subset is falling apart...

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
I agree. SOS has a paticular status. No problem if not played from time to time but it must be replaced by something equivalent : MFN, TOL, BIA or OUATITW.

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
Great set list.  He's varying his set more than any other tour already...so far.

Delighted he put 5.15am in. :clap .. one of his better songs.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
R&J -SOS  is a good combination. I guess most people like both and if you can't really get used to the solo work, you need it not to get bored.
For people like myself who can't stand R&J, it's ok if we know we 'll wake up 8 minutes later.
But a 45 minute sleep until Marbletown that's not serious.

I think you can better stay at home then ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado

He is great wthout SOS.

I could do without R&J.

Just my 2 cents...

Agree, dmg!     :thumbsup

Diagree strongly!!!

It didn't make him great. It made him big!
But MfN, WoL, SfA, BiA made him much BIGGER.

GREAT is something else.
MK is great in general
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:37:47 AM by man on a track »
            Still brings me to tears

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
R&J -SOS  is a good combination. I guess most people like both and if you can't really get used to the solo work, you need it not to get bored.
For people like myself who can't stand R&J, it's ok if we know we 'll wake up 8 minutes later.
But a 45 minute sleep until Marbletown that's not serious.

I think you can better stay at home then ;)

Love Expresso

Well, it seems it is impossible for Mark to decide a set list that even would make 5 % of his die hard fans happy. So who cares. He can and he should play what he wants. Really, can't hear it anymore... it is better to stay away from this forum, but not for set-list spoiler reasons but for not being spoiled - by the fans...  >:(

So he did not play Sultans. It gets more relevance now. It is not a given thing anymore. 2011 the whole set was freshened up and it had no Sultans, too, and I cannot remember that it was missed that much.  Songs are called the "usual suspects" when played every time and are critized for "always the same." Now he chooses to take away one "milestone" and plays two or three not yet heard songs on this tour and even 5.15 am (masterpiece), but almost all we read is "well, there are 5 or 6 or 15 pee breaks in this set". That is so discusting and really stupid if you ask me. One advice: If you want to hear Walk Of Life, Money For Nothing and Solid Rock, go to the tribute bands and leave us alone with your constant moaning... Why on earth are you reading these tour threads if everything is wrong? Is that some kind of masochism or something? Not even midday yet und already pissed, thanks amit...
 :disbelief   

LE

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :clap LE
            Still brings me to tears

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 41 queries.