Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering Tour about to begin - Rehearsals starting in London  (Read 60490 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: Privateering Tour about to begin - Rehearsals starting in London
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
In the first pic Jim is playing accordeon?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »
In the first pic Jim is playing accordeon?

Bonaparte with sax!
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
Radio city serenade! Sax and accordeon in it.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
Radio city serenade! Sax and accordeon in it.

I hope so!
So Long

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
The top pic - isnt that the TOL Alchemy guitar?   :hmm

Alas, he doesn't have that one any more. :(

yes right.
Ingo played it : http://www.mk-guitar.com/2012/08/03/videos-from-a-trip-to-mark-knopflers-sunburst-schecter-strat/

the pic could be the 54 strat, which is also sunsburt finish, like the TOL schecter strat

as for the sax, could it be TR with sax, as on OES tour ?

I agree that pedal steel ruined the song in 91-92, but I loved the solo on sax, instead the guitar (well I love guitar solo on TR too)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:58:34 PM by JF »

Love Expresso

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
I wonder what Guy thinks of John twittering all these nice pics. He is obviously not able to post very much as his new entry is quite short and featureless... while John McCusker has posted several pics already. 

Sax would indeed be a big surprise. Hope so much for Portobello Belle now (and again..)

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
The top pic - isnt that the TOL Alchemy guitar?   :hmm

Alas, he doesn't have that one any more. :(

yes right.
Ingo played it : http://www.mk-guitar.com/2012/08/03/videos-from-a-trip-to-mark-knopflers-sunburst-schecter-strat/

the pic could be the 54 strat, which is also sunsburt finish, like the TOL schecter strat

as for the sax, could it be TR with sax, as on OES tour ?

I agree that pedal steel ruined the song in 91-92, but I loved the solo on sax, instead the guitar (well I love guitar solo on TR too)

TR with sax was a bit too much on the Kenny G side ;) OES versions were powerful but ruined by sax, pedal steel, rushed pace and lack of intro IMHO.
I think TR was best during the GH/STP/SL tours. Really nice, smooth and powerful.
Next would be the first 1981 versions - really refreshing, new...
Next the Alchemy version - a bit rough but powerful.
Next the 92 versions, and bottom - the 2008/2010 versions, still nice but lacked pace, power and had this "karaoke mode" which I really disliked...
Oh, please, could we get a 2013 version similar to 1996/2001/2005 ones ?? This would make my day...

Love Expresso

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2013, 10:32:13 AM »

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I think I "grow" with Telegraph Road. After 2005, I loved the Lyon version and thought that would be the best version ever. But before that, I thought Vaison 1996 has with no doubt the best TR, whereas I can't hear that one anymore these days.
Today, I only listen to TR from the last part of 2010, so Locarno for example would be my favourite. I would agree however that the 2008 version indeed was weak, but that they also improved that for the 2010 tour.

Listen to Locarno, the finale of that version is so great that you easily can forget about the new-style first half of the song...

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2013, 10:55:56 AM »

Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I think I "grow" with Telegraph Road. After 2005, I loved the Lyon version and thought that would be the best version ever. But before that, I thought Vaison 1996 has with no doubt the best TR, whereas I can't hear that one anymore these days.
Today, I only listen to TR from the last part of 2010, so Locarno for example would be my favourite. I would agree however that the 2008 version indeed was weak, but that they also improved that for the 2010 tour.

Listen to Locarno, the finale of that version is so great that you easily can forget about the new-style first half of the song...

LE
I've just listened to Locarno 2010. It is decent of course, there can't be a bad version of this song, but I don't see it as better than Paris 2010 for which the solo was quite electrifying. And all in all, the pace is much slower than Lyon 2005... so I still prefer 2005 by far.

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
Guy kind of admitted the saxophone...

In two answers he said that the "core" of the band will be the same of 2012, and that its safe that will be new instruments as, for example, a saxophone  ;D

Check the forum.

-Hi Guy! I suppose exactly the same band members than the latest tour with Bob. Is it right?    
-Yes, as the core

-Without spoiling too much, can we expect new instruments played by some of you, like happened in 2012 with Richard playing steel guitar, Mike playing drums or Ian playing the dashboard? Someone playing saxophone, for example?    
-yes, I think it's safe to say that
So Long

Love Expresso

« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
Yeah, but he left us not very much smarter,  as usual, did he. When he talks about "core", that would imply (from my point of view) that there is, apart from this "core", room for guests or additinal musicians?
Whereas the second question implies that one of the usual members would play saxophone, for example? Who would it be?

LE

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
Yeah, but he left us not very much smarter,  as usual, did he. When he talks about "core", that would imply (from my point of view) that there is, apart from this "core", room for guests or additinal musicians?
Whereas the second question implies that one of the usual members would play saxophone, for example? Who would it be?

LE

I guess most of us learnt the game of "Ask Guy in a way that you can get an answer differnt that Ouch!"

;D
So Long

Love Expresso

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
Yeah, or DOH!!!!!!!

:lol

LE

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
If any of you dare to go further and ask him directly if there is a new member/s in the band, who, and what plays...

;D
So Long

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »

LE
I've just listened to Locarno 2010. It is decent of course, there can't be a bad version of this song, but I don't see it as better than Paris 2010 for which the solo was quite electrifying. And all in all, the pace is much slower than Lyon 2005... so I still prefer 2005 by far.

Locarno 2010 is good, but Manchester 2010 is my favourite of all the versions from 2010 I have heard!   ;)    I also like RAH 30th May 2005 and Red Rocks and Charlotte 2008, but I'm not very keen on the OES ones with the sax! 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:23:01 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 46 queries.