Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?  (Read 29742 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
The live versions were great  ;D It sounds a bit empty on the record with only one guitar and not much of rhytm except for that funky bass. The live versions were very powerful.

Nevertheless, I think he could get some fancy notes on his guitar

The lead licks on the album One World is great for sure. Would have like a separate rhytm guitar though.

sorry disagree. I find live version too much filled. Too much "big sound", and the steinberger....beeerk !
the studio version is perfect for me, doesn't sound "empty" at all.

I prefer this songs WITHOUT a rhythm guitar : ride across the river, one world, brothers in arms, money for nothing.
I think that if Mark recorded them without rhyhtm guitar parts, it's because he wanted them sound this way.

Its has a rhythm guitar live, only because the 2nd guitarist couldn't stay without playing.

Jack's guitar is almost a bit too much on BIA tour, and sometimes "out of place".
e.g. the reggae rhyhtm on RATR doesn't fit to the song....but his wah licks at the end (hammermsith dec. 85) are much better good taste IMHO.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
A cow for MFN
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
MFN live 2005 featured a cow bell instead a rythm guitar. But who ever actually heard it?
In 14 shows attended  I never got it to my ears, only "saw" it played
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
Les Boys and the whole of the OES album except The Bug

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »

What a coincidence that I've just been listening to the OES album on my hi-fi and thinking just what a great album this is!  The only song I skipped was The Bug! :lol
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:27 AM »

What a coincidence that I've just been listening to the OES album on my hi-fi and thinking just what a great album this is!  The only song I skipped was The Bug! :lol
Couldn't agree more dmg..I've always considered "The Bug" to be..well.. 'the bug' in the ointment. Always enjoy listening to "When it comes to you" and "Fade to black"..but I truly love "Planet of New Orleans" (the live cuts from the OES tour are amazing!), "On Every Street" and "Iron Hand". On the flipside.."My Parties" has always been a skipper for me..and I can't stand the televangelist knock.."Ticket to Heaven"..too boring.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
I always skip Calling Elvis, HF, The bug. I believe that the album would have been better without them, although at the time of release they seemed good fun. Anyway it was probably the result of the long anticipation and the joy of having them back1!  The rest (TTH, MP )are a nice variety, and although not my favourite ones I like them. PONO is probably my absolute favourite from OES and one of DS best songs. Maybe MK should try and play this at his new tour.
Come to think of it, OES has songs that look at the solo direction and that is why some people might not like it.           
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
sorry disagree. I find live version too much filled. Too much "big sound", and the steinberger....beeerk !

I prefer this songs WITHOUT a rhythm guitar : ride across the river, one world, brothers in arms, money for nothing.
I think that if Mark recorded them without rhyhtm guitar parts, it's because he wanted them sound this way.

Its has a rhythm guitar live, only because the 2nd guitarist couldn't stay without playing.

Well, whether Mark 'wanted' them to sound a certain way is of no relevance for if I or anyone else likes the result. The thing about the live version is not so much that there is a second rhytm guitar, but that Mark emphasizes the rhytm playing during all parts except the solos, which gives the song more drive and force.

It seems that we disagree about this in a general sense, however, because I do prefer songs like BIA with a second guitar and I have often lamented that Mark played less rhytm on that album.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Come to think of it, OES has songs that look at the solo direction and that is why some people might not like it.           

Never thought about that, but it's true. In terms of rythm, Ticket to Heaven is, for me, twin sister of Devil Bay. How long could perfectly fit in Golden Heart or Ragpicker's dream. On Every Street would be perfect to Kill to Get Crimson. Despite the issue of the lyrics, Iron Hand could merge into Get Lucky...
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »

Never thought about that, but it's true. In terms of rythm, Ticket to Heaven is, for me, twin sister of Devil Bay. How long could perfectly fit in Golden Heart or Ragpicker's dream. On Every Street would be perfect to Kill to Get Crimson. Despite the issue of the lyrics, Iron Hand could merge into Get Lucky...

I use to think that BIA is the last DS album, and OES the first MK album...
but I also tend to think that if Mark had recorded solos albums from the beginning, or on the other hand if he had continued to use the name "dire straits", his music waould have been the same as we know.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »

Well, whether Mark 'wanted' them to sound a certain way is of no relevance for if I or anyone else likes the result. The thing about the live version is not so much that there is a second rhytm guitar, but that Mark emphasizes the rhytm playing during all parts except the solos, which gives the song more drive and force.

It seems that we disagree about this in a general sense, however, because I do prefer songs like BIA with a second guitar and I have often lamented that Mark played less rhytm on that album.

we agree and disagree :)

I LOVE Mark's rhythm playing, and I think it features most of his fine guitar work : single handed sailor, skateway, southbound again, once upon a time in the west, when it come to you, on way gal, man of peace, cleaning windows, Do Right to Me Baby, etc... and I would love to hear again more ryhtm parts in THIS style (not the KTGC style...)

but, I find his rhythm playing on one world live too sharp, less subtle as he used to do, and too much "drive and force"
I don't like very much when Mark try to sound "rock", "heavy", on guitar (85-93 era)
I think his style suits more to subtle picking, etheral soli, ambient sounds, clean/crunchy tone, etc...

his tone and playing on One wordl is....well ; I don't find it's Mark

and I prefer BIA with only his guitar (Richard's 12-strings part sounds fine, though)

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
Cool, JF, Richard's acoustic part for BIA was in fact what I had in mind. And yes, Mark's more low-key rhytm is excellent as well.

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »

Lol - different strokes for different folks! I felt OES was all a bit too over-produced and slick, and the songwriting was weak compared to the albums before. I always think of Sailing to Philadelphia as the unofficial "last DS album" - still has the DS feel, but much better songs than OES (IMHO).

Still, I know a lot of people loved the last album, so it's just my personal preference.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2015, 02:53:05 AM »
Necroposting again.
I've voted for <True Love Will Never Fade> for lack of anything better, but in fact I would have dreamt of seeing <Wherever I Go> in that list.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2015, 03:10:05 AM »
romeo. private inv., fish and the friggin bird.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
romeo. private inv., fish and the friggin bird.

+1
And also Walk of Sh~~e, Rudiger, Done with Bonaparte, Home Boy... :hmm
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:57:44 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.