Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?  (Read 29636 times)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Re: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
seriously, there are people who don't like R&J ???  That's  my fav.  Wonder if there are people who don't like TOL and SOS too??????

I voted, vic and ray, Do america, Red staggerwing, fish and the bird. :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
seriously, there are people who don't like R&J ???  That's  my fav. 

I can't understand that either.  It's probably my favourite song of all time and I would be really sad if it wasn't played anymore!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
I think R&J's great too, although being played with less gusto than ever these days.  His "less rough" vocal takes away some of the character too.  IMO the best versions were from 2001.  Check out Chicago 05.05.01 or Boston 23.04.01, for example - great vocal and fantastic final solo.  Now the vocal is weak by comparison.

I think also - back to the original topic - that there is perhaps a little snobbery going on in the voting.  WoL is by no means one of MK's best works, but to vote it as one of his worst seems to me to be hinting at snobbery just because it is perceived as being pop fodder.  Same could be said for MFN.  I'm sure that with a more objective mind these songs would not have many votes, but it's not really for me to say.  Just my personal opinion. :)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »
I think R&J's great too, although being played with less gusto than ever these days.  His "less rough" vocal takes away some of the character too.  IMO the best versions were from 2001.  Check out Chicago 05.05.01 or Boston 23.04.01, for example - great vocal and fantastic final solo.  Now the vocal is weak by comparison.

I think also - back to the original topic - that there is perhaps a little snobbery going on in the voting.  WoL is by no means one of MK's best works, but to vote it as one of his worst seems to me to be hinting at snobbery just because it is perceived as being pop fodder.  Same could be said for MFN.  I'm sure that with a more objective mind these songs would not have many votes, but it's not really for me to say.  Just my personal opinion. :)

RAJ is great, but simply overplayed. I am tired of it, not because it is bad, but because the Making Movies album deserves so much better than playing only R&J tour after tour. TOL would be such a greater representative of this magical album... and think of what would a new version of Skateaway live be... oh my god... the '80 Friday's live version is sooooo freaking good ! Can't understand why such a song was only played for one tour only !

As for WOL, may I kindly disagree with you, as it happens sometimes :) Both MFN and WOL were huge overcommercialized pop successes, yet I only voted for WOL, not MFN, because MFN -IS- a great song nonetheless, whereas WOL is not. So I try to stay objective :)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »

I can't understand that either.  It's probably my favourite song of all time and I would be really sad if it wasn't played anymore!    :)
I don't like R&J.
I would rate it as the worst DS song (in fact as poor as "Love over gold", "Why worry", "My parties" and "Fade to black").
Really not my taste, nothing to do.  :-[

The other reason why I can't stand R&J is because R&J is overplayed whereas absolute gems like It never rains or Silvertown blues deserve more...

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »

RAJ is great, but simply overplayed. I am tired of it, not because it is bad, but because the Making Movies album deserves so much better than playing only R&J tour after tour. TOL would be such a greater representative of this magical album... and think of what would a new version of Skateaway live be... oh my god... the '80 Friday's live version is sooooo freaking good ! Can't understand why such a song was only played for one tour only !

As for WOL, may I kindly disagree with you, as it happens sometimes :) Both MFN and WOL were huge overcommercialized pop successes, yet I only voted for WOL, not MFN, because MFN -IS- a great song nonetheless, whereas WOL is not. So I try to stay objective :)

Sure, there is objectivity but I still think it's getting a lot of votes it doesn't deserve!  I may be way off on this and I can understand if this is a reason why;  people have the right after all. :)

P.S.  Like them or not, they were certainly hugely important songs in the history of DS and the BIA album and tour wouldn't have enjoyed the same success without them.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »

I don't like R&J.
I would rate it as the worst DS song (in fact as poor as "Love over gold", "Why worry", "My parties" and "Fade to black").
Really not my taste, nothing to do.  :-[

The other reason why I can't stand R&J is because R&J is overplayed whereas absolute gems like It never rains or Silvertown blues deserve more...

I like the other three but agree with you regarding Why Worry.  How ironic when MK calls it Why Bother! ::)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »
For me, the worst is Heavy Fuel but it's not the poll list !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:14 PM »
Not a great song indeed but at least there's some guitar.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »

Indeed, but what I would give for him to be doing songs like that now. :'( 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »

I forgot Heavy Fuel.  I don't like it at all, I never have and the fact it has some guitar doesn't help endear it to me one bit!    Thank goodness he isn't doing songs like that today!   The songs he plays now are miles better! ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »

I forgot Heavy Fuel.  I don't like it at all, I never have and the fact it has some guitar doesn't help endear it to me one bit!    Thank goodness he isn't doing songs like that today!   The songs he plays now are miles better! ;)

I guess John and Mike couldn't find a place on songs like that. :disbelief

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »

Even John and Mike couldn't make me listen to HF!    ;D   It was always a skipper for me!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »

Even John and Mike couldn't make me listen to HF!    ;D   It was always a skipper for me!   :)

Like about 75% of songs in MK's last few records for me I'm afraid. 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »

Like about 75% of songs in MK's last few records for me I'm afraid.

But would you still call yourself an MK fan - or maybe just a DS fan?    :-\

The Straits are starting their UK tour this weekend.  Will you be there?   You can have all you want of DS songs then!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:13:21 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.