Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?  (Read 34053 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2024, 02:11:54 PM »
I am late on that.

Least fav DS songs:
- Communiqué
- My Parties (the worst DS song ever)
- Millionaire Blues
- Kingdom Come

The Solo career list is long, so i'll made it short:
- Golden Farts
- Don't You Get It
- Do America
- 50% of RPD
- Sonny Liston
- 50% KTGC
- So Far From de Clyde
- Remembrance Day
- Submariner
- 80%Tracker
- 95% DTRW
- 40% ODR + The Boy
- 96% from MK's traditional blues attempts.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2024, 10:03:14 PM »
I’m probably opening a can of worms here but I really don’t see how anyone can think R&J is MK’s worst song. It’s not my favourite…but really?!? His absolute worst song!?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2024, 11:54:50 PM »
I’m probably opening a can of worms here but I really don’t see how anyone can think R&J is MK’s worst song. It’s not my favourite…but really?!? His absolute worst song!?

Probably just people being too bored with this song, as it even outplayed Sultans in Mark's live setlist and managed to survive through all tours since the Making Movies album.

I can understand the frustration, but on the other hand, it's a quintessential MK song. It's got everything... Petty theft from Springsteen (everybody does that, including Springsteen himself), guitar solos, saxophone solos, a great intro and ending, witty lyrics, a shitty music video, and an absolutely legendary rhythm guitar part. It's not as sad and preachy as Brothers In Arms, not as long as Telegraph Road, not as repetitive as Sultans, not as cheesy as Your Latest Trick, not overly happy as Walk Of Life, not as overdriven as Money For Nothing, so that's probably why it remained in the set for all these years.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2024, 01:36:39 AM »

Probably just people being too bored with this song, as it even outplayed Sultans in Mark's live setlist and managed to survive through all tours since the Making Movies album.

I can understand the frustration, but on the other hand, it's a quintessential MK song. It's got everything... Petty theft from Springsteen (everybody does that, including Springsteen himself), guitar solos, saxophone solos, a great intro and ending, witty lyrics, a shitty music video, and an absolutely legendary rhythm guitar part. It's not as sad and preachy as Brothers In Arms, not as long as Telegraph Road, not as repetitive as Sultans, not as cheesy as Your Latest Trick, not overly happy as Walk Of Life, not as overdriven as Money For Nothing, so that's probably why it remained in the set for all these years.

I wonder if these petty theft in music are conscious or just happen?

I agree but can't agree that Your Latest Trick is cheesy :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2024, 07:16:28 AM »

I get all that. Surely then it’s not his worst song, it’s his Most overplayed song.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2024, 08:47:37 AM »
Sometimes a song just rubs you up the wrong way and you decide you hate it. And sometimes you go back years later and decide you actually like it. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2024, 11:15:39 AM »
I get all that. Surely then it’s not his worst song, it’s his Most overplayed song.

Sometimes a song just rubs you up the wrong way and you decide you hate it. And sometimes you go back years later and decide you actually like it. :)

I can't count even with two pairs of hands the amount of people I met in my life who hated The Beatles just because they were popular... I lowkey hate Sultans because of how stupidly famous and ubiquitous it is despite being just another Knopfler song with rather standard flamenco progression, and why everybody keeps playing it on frying pans, kettles and chopsticks when Mark has got 250 other great songs to play.

With that said, if something is considered a classic, that's most certainly for certain reasons and if you don't like it, the problem is with you.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2024, 11:28:16 AM »
I wonder if these petty theft in music are conscious or just happen?

I agree but can't agree that Your Latest Trick is cheesy :)

I, for one, don't believe in the ability of any human being to produce 100% original anything... We're just ChatGPTs with 10,000 years of growth and millions of years of evolution behind us. I think it's cool to steal from somebody if it's used correctly, if it's used incorrectly then again welcome to the court or jail. I love homages and references.

About Your Latest Trick, it's not like the song is cheesy as saxophone in general is cheesy. A little bit ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2024, 01:03:05 PM »

I can't count even with two pairs of hands the amount of people I met in my life who hated The Beatles just because they were popular... I lowkey hate Sultans because of how stupidly famous and ubiquitous it is despite being just another Knopfler song with rather standard flamenco progression, and why everybody keeps playing it on frying pans, kettles and chopsticks when Mark has got 250 other great songs to play.

With that said, if something is considered a classic, that's most certainly for certain reasons and if you don't like it, the problem is with you.

People who say they hate The Beatles are mostly just attention seekers. There is a further weird subset of people who hate them for political reasons. Yes, really.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2024, 10:46:18 PM »
well, yeah, that's just like...your opinion man....
https://youtu.be/j95kNwZw8YY?feature=shared
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2024, 04:15:05 PM »

yes, but except the 2011-2012 tour (and also NHBs gigs of course)

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2024, 05:42:38 AM »
;D

Oh of course, I’d never claim if was anything else. But cuz It’s my opinion it means I’m correct…right??

8)

OfflineTol´83

• Guitar George
  • Your hands are cold but your lips are warm
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2024, 01:22:10 PM »
It would be really curious to edit a CD or a Spotify list with the selection of the “worst” tracks of DS and Mark. Just listening to them all in a row would be an experience of merit. Although I also tell you that it would probably be better than most albums that come out nowadays.
Real Betis Balompié

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2024, 09:01:08 AM »
;D

Oh of course, I’d never claim if was anything else. But cuz It’s my opinion it means I’m correct…right??

8)
totes
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.