Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?  (Read 34074 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: What is everyone's least favorite MK songs?
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2024, 09:23:57 AM »
As I have said before, I never skip any of Mark's songs, there is always merit in each one. I am disappointed to see True Love Will Never Fade so disliked, it is one of my favourite songs from Mark, particularly his love songs, and when played live, his solo's and guitar sound is beautiful.

I agree that it is particularly beautiful played live as in the Berlin Showcase 2007. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2024, 09:52:46 AM »
Wild that Pottel will listen to 50 Dylan and 50 Gilmour bootlegs a week but doesn't have time to try KTGC again.  ;D
coincidentally listening to Gilmour live in Brighton rehearsal show from last friday now.
but ok, will listen to KTGC today. and will then give you my opinion
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2024, 09:53:15 AM »
As I have said before, I never skip any of Mark's songs, there is always merit in each one. I am disappointed to see True Love Will Never Fade so disliked, it is one of my favourite songs from Mark, particularly his love songs, and when played live, his solo's and guitar sound is beautiful.
weird
lol...

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2024, 10:44:25 AM »

I agree that it is particularly beautiful played live as in the Berlin Showcase 2007.

I always thought that the nice little Cittern part (from the intro on) that John McCusker added live in 2008 put the song on a new level, with Mark trying hard to be a real singer.  :)

LE
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 10:47:54 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2024, 11:12:42 AM »

I always thought that the nice little Cittern part (from the intro on) that John McCusker added live in 2008 put the song on a new level, with Mark trying hard to be a real singer.  :)

LE

I'll tell you more. True Love is one of the go-to songs people who are contacting me want to learn. Despite being a simple strummer with simple chords, the song somehow has the power to get people mesmerised by the beauty and wondering how you can even play something like this. And that's not even talking about the solo guitar part! True Love is a very good song.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2024, 11:54:33 AM »

LE

Yes, John's intro really made the song.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2024, 12:48:49 PM »

Yes Val, that's the one I was thinking about. It is amazing that he plays the song and solo with a Plectrum too for a change to give it that Hank Marvin feel, but, It's still unmistakably Mark.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2024, 12:52:09 PM »
ok ok you people! trying it out now....going in,....wish me luck!!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2024, 12:55:48 PM »

I thought it was obvious that True Love Will Never Fade is a beautiful song :) Kooba do you remember?  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2024, 01:01:24 PM »
ok ok you people! trying it out now....going in,....wish me luck!!

Good luck! You'll WALTZ through this album in no 3/4 time.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM »
It’s weird, none of the KTGC songs are particular favourites of mine but the album as a whole is great. I just love the “twang” that runs through many of the songs.

For me, I don’t understand how Fare Thee Well Northumberland is on this list. Not classic MK perhaps but I love the build, just simple keyboard/synths to building with Richard on the bouzouki, then some great guitar from Mark, Harmonica and some blues piano. Lovely stuff.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2024, 02:49:43 PM »
so i listened. here is my feedback:
true love will never fade: good song, but a waste of time when live due to lack of decent guitar
Scaffolder: guitar at end makes up for not so great song
The fizzy and the still: do not like this style of mark singing "it's not for me" to paraphrase the good man
Heart full of holes:sounds very ragpickers dream to me, may be the reason why i always loved this one
We can get Wild: liked it. great guitar, great singing. funky lyrics. also, GREAT organ (b3 hammond?) one of my favourites from the album
Secondary Waltz: somehow like it. must be the waltz...(also like the visuals that one gets from the text)
Punish the monkey: one of the few i liked from day 1
Let it all go: decent
Behind with the rent: great song, classic mk
the fish and the bird: boring,..BUT, far better still on record than live.
Madame Geneva's:: epic start imho..(with the organ and all) for me the organ makes the song (which is great by itself too though)
In the Sky: love the acoustic intro. true, this is one i have missed all those years

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2024, 03:20:09 PM »
so i listened. here is my feedback:
true love will never fade: good song, but a waste of time when live due to lack of decent guitar
Scaffolder: guitar at end makes up for not so great song
The fizzy and the still: do not like this style of mark singing "it's not for me" to paraphrase the good man
Heart full of holes:sounds very ragpickers dream to me, may be the reason why i always loved this one
We can get Wild: liked it. great guitar, great singing. funky lyrics. also, GREAT organ (b3 hammond?) one of my favourites from the album
Secondary Waltz: somehow like it. must be the waltz...(also like the visuals that one gets from the text)
Punish the monkey: one of the few i liked from day 1
Let it all go: decent
Behind with the rent: great song, classic mk
the fish and the bird: boring,..BUT, far better still on record than live.
Madame Geneva's:: epic start imho..(with the organ and all) for me the organ makes the song (which is great by itself too though)
In the Sky: love the acoustic intro. true, this is one i have missed all those years

Pleased to hear you enjoyed most of the album, Pottel.   :thumbsup

Just one point.   You say that you like Secondary Waltz because of the visuals from the text, which is fine, but Scaffolder's Wife to me has
just the same visuals as SW.  In fact I can actually see the lady teetering down the street on her stiletto heels!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2024, 05:14:50 PM »
I think KTGC actually has a number of good songs, but I just don't think Mark has the right voice for many of them. A lot of his songs only he can sing, especially classic DS songs, but there are songs where he just doesn't have the register, "punch" or emotional impact to do them justice. He may sing better now compared with earlier times, but he still isn't a singer.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2024, 06:24:08 PM »
I think KTGC actually has a number of good songs, but I just don't think Mark has the right voice for many of them. A lot of his songs only he can sing, especially classic DS songs, but there are songs where he just doesn't have the register, "punch" or emotional impact to do them justice. He may sing better now compared with earlier times, but he still isn't a singer.

I agree and would point out to Piper To The End as an example.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.