Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: "Tunnel of love" lyrics written in stone...  (Read 15479 times)

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: "Tunnel of love" lyrics written in stone...
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
I need to hear a live version from OES tour, I knew he had played it but I never got round to downloading one. Time to dust off the old computer. Their is a great version from The Houston 85 radio recording. Its blooming long as well.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
I need to hear a live version from OES tour, I knew he had played it but I never got round to downloading one. Time to dust off the old computer. Their is a great version from The Houston 85 radio recording. Its blooming long as well.

That's a good one, but Seattle 20.09.85 is 20m20s approximately of pure gold.  San Francisco 13.09.85 is great too but "only" 19m40s!
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »

That's a good one, but Seattle 20.09.85 is 20m20s approximately of pure gold.  San Francisco 13.09.85 is great too but "only" 19m40s!
Whats the quality of the recordings like on those as I struggle to enjoy poor ones even if MK is on fire. There was an kind Dylan fan last year that got some amazing audio. Think
he/she did Saskatoon with the Yon Two Crows I like.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »

Whats the quality of the recordings like on those as I struggle to enjoy poor ones even if MK is on fire. There was an kind Dylan fan last year that got some amazing audio. Think

On these two the quality is about as good as it gets.  There are two Seattle recordings on the go, one from the 19th as well which is only average quality.  20th is much better.

There are also two SF recordings available, one is quite rare to find now but the best one is the complete one and that is more readily available.

OnlineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »

On these two the quality is about as good as it gets.  There are two Seattle recordings on the go, one from the 19th as well which is only average quality.  20th is much better.

There are also two SF recordings available, one is quite rare to find now but the best one is the complete one and that is more readily available.
Thanks I will look to see if they are on the tracker.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
I like 81 versions because intro theme with piano/guitar is longer than in LOG or BIA tour, and Mark add licks he never played later, but I don't like the outro on this tour. I don't like Dortmund (live at the BBC) : out of tune at the end !
I love Alchemy for the intro (bridge from portobello belle) and the tone
I love BIA for band introduction / musical quotes / piano theme just before the outro / intro with more musical quotes than alchemy (in the name of love) / background vocals on the chorus / and the final solo

I don't find anything more in Wembley than other 85 versions. I think that versions during october-november 85 were the best ones
I remember TM and JVT saying that the "best" version was Stuttgart, and/or Uniondale (which is the longest : 24 min !)

I don't like sydney very much : too short, and the solo don't bring anything more IMHO, I can't hear anything "special" or "weird" in the tone. I don't fin the solo "convulated"

I don't like OES versions : don't like the pensa, don't like the tone, it lacks the intro, and the solo don't bring much more than 85 versions

but Herlock I know what you feel about Munich version : sometimes we love a specific version, without any reason, sometimes because it's one of the first we heard.
Cocaine 85 is the first BIA bootleg I've heard, and RATR is my fav version (with Jack's wah), but I suppose it has nothing special compared to other versions
chorus 78 is my fav sultans version from early years, but it has nothing special compared to other version from the same era.

sometimes, a version is in our heart for other reasons than "musical" ones  :)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
I like very much Sydney 86. Of course too short but tight version. And this sort of abrupt start "waouh", no boring intro, straight to the thing.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMusicGirl1

• Local Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
How nice is that. To have such a monument on the site where The Spanish City used to be.
Nothing would be more fitting than the words to Tunnel of love.  :)

I just love Tunnel of love, it's among my favorite DS songs.
On the 14th of may I will be at the Amsterdam show and yes, I deep down in my heart hope he'll play it, even if I do know he won't.........

Why Mark doesn't want to bring it out again? Well...., I guess only he really knows.
The only thing I can't really believe, is him technically no longer being able to play it. Mark still plays on a daily basis and gets plenty of practice, which means he is still keeping his guitar skills on a proper level. So no, I don't think that is the reason.

Maaike

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »
I agree with what others have said here - im pretty sure that if MK chose to he could still play and sing TOL pretty god damn well

So yes - i wholeheartedly agree - time to park Telegraph Road and or Speedway and bring out this typically 15 minute audio spectacular!
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »
I like very much Sydney 86. Of course too short but tight version. And this sort of abrupt start "waouh", no boring intro, straight to the thing.

I see what you mean, but I wouldn't call the TOL intro "boring"

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

Indeed, I loved in the intro.  Terry's powerful drums, then Chris on his sax followed by Mark doing some wonderful improvisation - never the same twice.  Great and powerful.  Impact, followed by near silence as they brought it down to a whisper, then Mark would play little pieces and talk about the Spanish City etc.  What's not to like about that?  Talk about setting the mood!  Sheer brilliance.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »

Indeed, I loved in the intro.  Terry's powerful drums, then Chris on his sax followed by Mark doing some wonderful improvisation - never the same twice.  Great and powerful.  Impact, followed by near silence as they brought it down to a whisper, then Mark would play little pieces and talk about the Spanish City etc.  What's not to like about that?  Talk about setting the mood!  Sheer brilliance.
Agreed, dmg, this intro is fab, both on the LOG tour and on the BIA tour; I prefer the BIA tour overall for this intro, for one reason - the synth sound to help the guitar gives a nice romantic touch, probably by Guy Fletcher ? one positive influence ;) on Alchemy without synth it sounds a bit dry, all the more that the guitar tone is stronger. But still, Alchemy strong point is the longer sax intro... I undertood some call it the "Portobello outro" instead, but come on, this sax part coming after the band intros, and after the carribean vibes (which can still be heard on the CD, but not on the video, probably for the better), I have troubles calling it an "outro" :) Also, Terry's overdriven-to-death drums at the beginning in the BIA tour are really too much, I prefer the link with the sax part of Alchemy...

Oh well, matter of tastes, all these versions are fab in the own sweet way ! Watching Alchemy one now, really love it...

btw what do you think of the studio version ? I really love it, simple and clean sound, I think the MM record was really well produced... and I think the studio version is better than the OL tour version, where the guitar is too soft, falls flat, and is out of tune at the end, as already spotted.

As for Sydney'86, I stand by my opinion that it is not my favourite (although very nice too). It is too short, the band is tired, the guitar tone falls a bit flat compared to Wembley, and the solo, alhtough longer than Alchemy, is less convincing that both Alchemy (short and efficient) and Wembley (long but very well built).

(I'm always quoting Wembley/Sydney because I prefer watching videos than listen to pure sound, and these are the only two available. Houston sounds similar to Wembley anyway).

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
The studio version is nice but doesn't build up as slowly.  I always like to listen to live stuff for some reason; I think you see artists for what they are on a given night and not a remixed, take whatever record version.  I suppose live is more honest!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »

Agreed, dmg, this intro is fab, both on the LOG tour and on the BIA tour; I prefer the BIA tour overall for this intro, for one reason - the synth sound to help the guitar gives a nice romantic touch, probably by Guy Fletcher ?
[/quote]

Interesting you should say this, and I agree, because JI said in an interview regarding new band members circa 1986 that on the last tour they didn't really know what they were doing regarding the use of synths and that was an interview with John and Alan!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »

Agreed, dmg, this intro is fab, both on the LOG tour and on the BIA tour; I prefer the BIA tour overall for this intro, for one reason - the synth sound to help the guitar gives a nice romantic touch, probably by Guy Fletcher ?

Interesting you should say this, and I agree, because JI said in an interview regarding new band members circa 1986 that on the last tour they didn't really know what they were doing regarding the use of synths and that was an interview with John and Alan!
[/quote]

So, they jump from almost no synth in the LOG tour, to way too much synth on the BIA tour, to again almost no synth (but heavy pedal steel) in the OES tour... synth should be use with care. But somethimes provide a very ambiance filling, like in this intro which seems a bit dry in the LOG tour (nothing scandalous, but still).

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.