Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tumbleweed  (Read 2555 times)

OfflineBuford T Justice

• Guitar George
Tumbleweed
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
Over 120 million albums sold.

Global tours on a massive scale.

Subsequent solo tours from the main man with living legends such as Dylan and Clapton.........

Yet the number of contributions to this site over the course of an average week is less than 30. Why is that? Massive band in the day, still active participants and a fan base relatively young (choosing words carefully!).

So how come a forum like this is so quiet? Compared to the forums of other artists and bands of that time, and even before, this is hellishly quiet. So what happened?

Are the Straits a guilty secret?
Did most fans hang on for one album, then depart?
Are fans disappointed by the post Straits offerings - even though some new fans may have been accrued with the solo stuff have the majority left?
Were the Straits, and Knopfler himself, music only - no need to discuss anything when the music is there, the people involved in making the music themselves keen during their heyday to kill off any non musical interest? If that's the case how about similar bands who continue to spark online interest on a greater scale?

As I write this the site tells me there are 7 people reviewing the forum? Are there?

Curious on your thoughts.
Buford T. Justice: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Tumbleweed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:22:17 PM »
I think the reason behind this is that during the period that DS were hugely popular Mark still didn't self-promote and therefore there remains little interview footage and personal stuff from that period to talk about.

Another reason may be that they didn't get themselves into trouble and were not controversial.  That is always a talking point unfortunately.

You have a point about them being a guilty secret in that they were never cool.  8)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
Yeah, straits were never cool and MK had backed down on promotion for the last 20 years.

Also, the forum is quieter between tours/albums, will pick up again in April. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:58:54 AM »
BTJ -  Yes, it's quiet at the moment, but if you look back at the stats for 2012, you will see that August had over 4.5k posts, due to the new album and in September and October, 3.6k and almost 3k, because of the Dylan tour - sometimes more than 100 posts a day!   As dusty says, it will pick up again  approaching the tour in April!   

Yes, DS and in particular MK are not regarded as cool.  It used to upset me, but now it doesn't bother me - in a way, it's cool not to be cool!  8)  In spite of that, he has no problem filling large venues, or selling albums!    :)   Album sales are now in excess of 140 million, although they still keep trotting out the same old 120 million in the media!

BTW I read the ER forum regularly and sometimes they are even quieter than here!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:52:48 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »
Lets be honest this isn't the only forum available either... It's my favourite but I'm a part timer with regards to Forums..

Do an Internet search and there are many different ones from around the globe.

And it's true, more stuff will be discussed as soon as the tour starts.

Knopfler in other parts of the world has been much more popular, it's the way of us Brits... we like to hate on good stuff ;)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
Knopfler in other parts of the world has been much more popular, it's the way of us Brits... we like to hate on good stuff ;)

Yes, it's strange, we like to build our heros, only to knock 'em down!    ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »
Like i care. This to me simply feeds like a gathering of like minded friends. And I'd rather have a few good ones, that I can count on, then a giganTic forum full of trolls and asswipes. Over on ER, to stick with that example,there's loads of interesting discussions going on, with people that seem to live in the ER world only, nice, but it also goes along with a lot of annoying people that cost way too much time and energy. Also, as mentioned, in between tours and albums. Yes, we do tend to get on with our lives. Welcome by the way! ;)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
Like i care. This to me simply feeds like a gathering of like minded friends. And I'd rather have a few good ones, that I can count on, then a giganTic forum full of trolls and asswipes. Over on ER, to stick with that example,there's loads of interesting discussions going on, with people that seem to live in the ER world only, nice, but it also goes along with a lot of annoying people that cost way too much time and energy. Also, as mentioned, in between tours and albums. Yes, we do tend to get on with our lives. Welcome by the way! ;)

Perfectly said Pottel :)

All that matters is the great discussion with like minded folk..... Knopfler does what he does best and that's continue to be a true to his music.. may long it contine
 to his music and
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
Even during the DS era, Mark Knopfler didn't like the hipe of being famous. We never saw his face on a album sleeve - with the disguised exception of MfN. Never bombastic dates. Never public fights inside the band - DK got out quietly, just after sometime he acted in rage.

He made his way onto the music in a shy and laid-back mood. And yet he has sold over 140million units, embarked on the greatest and longest tour at the time.

I recall Axl Rose. In the almost never ending proccess of making Chinese Revolution, any glimpse of action was an excuse to a line in the news. "Axl wrote one more song"; "Axl fired one, hired other guitarist"; "Axl was recording a song but called it all off to go to the bathroom". It's just an example. Many, many, many other artists with less relevation just stay in the papers just doing publicity, not music. MK never acted like that. And yet there is a loyal fan base. Many of us don't care about being ina  forum or participating on it. Many of us just read the posts and are satisfied.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinedletm08

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »

I agree with what you say also.   Quality over quantity.   Although a little more quantity of quality would be a good thing!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:38 AM »
See Buford T Justice? One simple remark from you spawned a dozen replies! Many people are watching and are waiting for the chance to write about MK/DS. You have to stir the water a bit in order to see the fish.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.