Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Will we get a DVD/Blu-ray from the 2013 tour? THE POLL  (Read 14101 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Will we get a DVD/Blu-ray from the 2013 tour? THE POLL
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
I'm not a musician at all but a lot of what you say makes sense to me JF.

I was also thinking last night after I turned my computer off about how many tunes we would determine "classics" that MK has released during the solo years compared to DS years.  One can also look at the songs he has openly admitted to releasing in solo years that weren't deemed good enough earlier:  R
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
I agree 100% with JF.

I reduced my level of exigence when it comes to MK, I don
So Long

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
I would say that there is only really one solo song that I would determine classic: Speedway.  Lots of songs I love, but only one classic.  From DS years there was at least one on each album.

HFB?      :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »
I would say that there is only really one solo song that I would determine classic: Speedway.  Lots of songs I love, but only one classic.  From DS years there was at least one on each album.

Comes into the category of: "love it but not a classic."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »

Songs can only become classics with the passage of time and I can see that there are some that may become classics eventually!   :)  What about STP?   That seems like it should have classic status by now.  It's not one of my favourites though. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »

Songs can only become classics with the passage of time and I can see that there are some that may become classics eventually!   :)  What about STP?   That seems like it should have classic status by now.  It's not one of my favourites though.

Okay, I'll give you that but I agree with you that it's not really one of my favourites either.  Better than Marbletown though! ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
;D dmg - I didn't want to mention Marbletown, 'cos I know how much you dislike it, but YES I can see it being a classic eventually and it's well on its way to being one.  I loved it on the album, played solo and I still love it played on tour!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
I agree that Speedway is a masterpiece, but I don't think at all it is the only one.
In fact, had the STP album worn a "Dire Straits" sticker on it, I'm quite sure it would have been considered as one of the best DS albums ever.
Sure, lots of songs are predictable, starting with the SL album; yet, some songs became classics to me. To name a few and to compare them with DS classics:

- Speedway, yes, not on par with TR, but coming quite close for the end solo;
- Why Aye Man would have been a classic in the DS days, think of the 2002 great live version with an "almost DS" line-up;
- What it is and Silvertown blues would have been great live successes in the OES days, I'm quite sure.
- HFB comes close to TOL for the end solo (albeit shorter).
- I dug up a diamond is one the best live pieces of music I know of - great video !
- Border Reiver comes close to Sultans or Down to the Waterline... great opener, I hope to get it again this year !
- Piper to the End is such a masterpiece... the end solo is very touching, to me it's (almost) on par with BIA.
- Yon two crows really reminds me of DS... should the solo be a little longer, think how it would have been welcomed in the OES days !
- Same for Kingdom of Gold, I'm quite sure it would have been as succesful as You and Your Friend.
- And... Marbletown, it's so original and different, I love it, even if I kwow you don't :)

Cheers

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
I'm guitarist, and if I choosed to play guitar, it's because of my love for Dire Straits songs, and this incredible guitar style of Mark.
Sultans is my favorite song and will ever be, I play it since 20 years, and still enjoy it everytime ().
I can't count how many DS songs I tried to learn and play, there are several on each album (for the 2 first albums it's easy, I tried all).

How many MK solo songs did I learn ?
Only 6 : Golden Heart, Don't You Get It, Je Suis D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:56:48 PM by stratocasteph »

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Trouble with MK these days is he waits to play a song live before giving it the full works. Look at HFB, Yon Two Crows and Kingdom Of Gold for example. They were all great on the record but live they are fantastic, almost rendering the studio versions dull and lifeless. Now if he could bring that energy to his records Id be much happier.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
Trouble with MK these days is he waits to play a song live before giving it the full works. Look at HFB, Yon Two Crows and Kingdom Of Gold for example. They were all great on the record but live they are fantastic, almost rendering the studio versions dull and lifeless. Now if he could bring that energy to his records Id be much happier.

I agree with you, Banjo!   Once I have heard a song played live, be it an MK solo song or a DS song, I hardly ever listen to the album version again, because the live version is almost always best.  That's why I love the Simfy recordings and the audience bootlegs so much.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
Nothing really new here...compare the studio version of Sultans with the most "bad-ass" versions such as Alchemy, Live Aid or Basel'92... and yet, the studio version, while not as developped as those incredible live versions, has its own interest, being simple, clean and straightforward....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
Nothing really new here...compare the studio version of Sultans with the most "bad-ass" versions such as Alchemy, Live Aid or Basel'92... and yet, the studio version, while not as developped as those incredible live versions, has its own interest, being simple, clean and straightforward....

More-so today though; when one compares Two Yon Crows, err Yon Two Crows (always get it mixed up :-[) album version having no guitar solo at all, then when it comes to the live performances... :D

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »

More-so today though; when one compares Two Yon Crows, err Yon Two Crows (always get it mixed up :-[) album version having no guitar solo at all, then when it comes to the live performances... :D
Yes he has always done it but SOS took a few years to evolve into the alchemy monster. TR and TOL were epics on the studio versions. One of the great things about seeing MK live is hearing what he changes, extends etc. Thats why we need a DVD.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 10:38:07 PM »

I agree with you, Banjo!   Once I have heard a song played live, be it an MK solo song or a DS song, I hardly ever listen to the album version again, because the live version is almost always best.  That's why I love the Simfy recordings and the audience bootlegs so much.   :)

Banjo and Superval I agree with both of you!

I told I wasn't a fan of DS but of course I liked Brothers in Arms; Private Investigation; Walk of Life and Sultans!  ;D
After the first concert when I heard Speedway and Telegraph Road live for the first time I was blown away while before they were not special to me. Those songs and also BIA were FANTASTIC and they are still one of my favourite songs! I also didn't like Marbletown, but after the concert I love that one and some others played live now too!  ;)

Fieneke

If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.