Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any MK fans in the US?  (Read 5895 times)

Offlinedletm08

• Guitar George
Any MK fans in the US?
« on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:50 AM »
Greetings, I'm new here.  I've been listening to MK for about 8 years now.  I was not a fan at first, but as time went on he grew on me and he has gradually become my favorite artist.   Anyway being here in the US I have never met anyone else who is a fan.  Heck, most people are like "who" when you mention MK.  Kind of disapointing considering how talented he is and how big Dire Straits was.  I kind of get the impression most people see DS as a one hit wonder because of Money for nothing.  Are there any US fans here who know what I'm talking about? 

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
Re: Any MK fans in the US?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:45:34 AM »
Hello from New Jersey.

And Welcome. If I talk about music at all, usually people here know DS, but don't know who MK is.  :smack
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflineKitKat

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:01:14 AM »
And a second hello to you from New Jersey!  :wave

I haven't had quite your experience.  Most people I talk to about music (40-somethings and older) know who MK is, including the ones in my age group (30-somethings).  Some are not aware of his solo work, though, which presents the wonderful opportunity to share!  ;)

Maybe it's the age group?
Her lucky stars give her just enough....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 05:15:18 AM »
I think there are quite a lot of MK fans in the US , to answer your question.  I was actually quite surprised that many  people I 've met know of MK.  None of them are as crazy as me though, that's a shame.  :-[ :thumbsdown

One person I know in particular would like to help me get the opportunity to meet Mark.   ???  He's a close buddy of Leon Russell and JJ Cale.  Funny just talked with him yesterday.  I don't know how he can manage to make it happen, but I guess I'll hold on to that hope. It helps keep me dreaming.  He undrestands my passion for Mark. ;)

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
Hi and welcome from Utah!
Been an MK/DS fan since 1978.

Sweet, you had better take me with you when your friends introduce you to MK. :wave
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
hey sweetsurrender, go and get in touch with JJ. nicest artist i ever had the privilege to meet. and a legend (yes guys a legend)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
 Welcome to AMIT from snowy Upstate New York!
hey sweetsurrender, go and get in touch with JJ. nicest artist i ever had the privilege to meet. and a legend (yes guys a legend)
Oh-oh...he said the "L" word..now the party will get started    ;D
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinedletm08

• Guitar George
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
Cool.  Two from New Jersey!  I'm from PA.  Haven't thought about age group.  KitKat I'm in my 30s too.  I always imagine most MK fans would be a bit older than us.  I think I did things backward getting into MK got me interested in DS. 

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »
IrisRose here from northeastern California.  No beaches.  No cities.   Just mountains, a river or two, and desert.   Oh yea, some small towns.   It's always a good long drive to an MK concert from here.
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:31:44 AM »
...and hello from Orange County, California.   I was a HUGE Dire Straits fan from the early 80's, although I lost touch for many years.  I am now an even bigger fan of both Dire Straits and Mark's solo catalogue.  I got to see Mark in Santa Barbara and in Hollywood Bowl this year, which was absolutely amazing.  I only wish I had the seen him at additional venues!!!  ..and am dreaming of some way to get back to Europe for some additional concerts. 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineKitKat

• Guitar George
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:41:14 AM »
Cool.  Two from New Jersey!  I'm from PA.  Haven't thought about age group.  KitKat I'm in my 30s too.  I always imagine most MK fans would be a bit older than us.  I think I did things backward getting into MK got me interested in DS.

Hey hey!!  I was at Count Basie in Red Bank for the last tour and the crowd there was certainly our age and older...  I caught up to MK in 2002 (late 20s then) and the rest is history.  I'm on FB and occasionally post something MK related- a handful of my age peers know MK, and will comment, most don't.  Kind of similar to you, I got into Sailing to Philadelphia and worked my way all the way back to Dire Straits (the album). 

Did you catch the Dylan/MK tour?  Are you trekking across the pond for the 2013?
Her lucky stars give her just enough....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:13 AM »
I've been dreaming about going to see Mark in Europe since after Oct 2012.  I'll send you a personal email. If it all works out, may be we 'll make it to Europe.  I may need help getting info about procuring good tickets from our fellow Amits in Europe.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:39 AM »
Hi and welcome from Utah!
Been an MK/DS fan since 1978.

We loved Utah on our 2012 Roadtrip! Driving up to snowy peaks at Cedar Breaks and then into wild west canyons in Zion Nt. Park... I think we enjoyed it more than Yellowstone, maybe ! :)
The USA is awesome!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »
I've been dreaming about going to see Mark in Europe since after Oct 2012.  I'll send you a personal email. If it all works out, may be we 'll make it to Europe.  I may need help getting info about procuring good tickets from our fellow Amits in Europe.

Hey sweet, I got your PM... let's talk! :)
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »

We loved Utah on our 2012 Roadtrip! Driving up to snowy peaks at Cedar Breaks and then into wild west canyons in Zion Nt. Park... I think we enjoyed it more than Yellowstone, maybe ! :)
The USA is awesome!

and I hear wonderful things from everyone who has traveled to Australia as well.

A warm hello from a currently decidedly chilly part of the USA - Wisconsin. I never get much of a reaction from people when I mention MK to them. I usually have to add the Dire Straits link to his name to get folks to make the connection and they then generally respond with something along the line of "Ah yes, the sultan of swing". I am planning to head to the UK for MK's concerts at the Royal Albert Hall and find I am in need of one more ticket for May 29th. If anyone can advise me of how best to purchase the additional ticket, I'd appreciate it. Ticketmaster doesn't have any more tickets and says that date is sold out. Some of the other brokers I've investigated have some extremely pricey tickets. I guess I am spoiled by MK.com.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 39 queries.