Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits 1988  (Read 7844 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits 1988
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
K Wallis B was a single and maxisingle edited by John Illsley with two instrumental tracks, the musicians were John Illsley, Terry Williams, Phil Palmer, Chris White, Alan Clark and others.

Its easy to find in ebay.
So Long

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:39 PM »
Also don't forget about the Egham charity gig that was in 1989... (listened to it ages ago though).

I don't have the recording of this charity gig right now with me so I can't check if MK introduces the band members, but who is playing 2nd guitar on this show?

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
I asked once John Illsley, he can

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »
I adore every era to be honest. The sheer precision and skill that Knopfler brought to the OES tour was simply incredible. Granted I love the '88 era too but considering the break since '86 until the full tour of '91/2, it's no wonder the level of skill rose to another level. Knopfler for me was remarkable on the OES tour. Blew me away seeing the band live as a 16 year old too
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
The first album is far more country influenced than OES - Setting me Up and Southbound are pure country songs.

The only real country track on OES is The Bug - which is also the only decent song on it.

Personally, I think OES is a terrible album - if it was representative of DS I would have never liked them.

It feels like MK couldn't really be bothered. I always like to think of Sailing to Philidelphia as the last DS album - it's a far more worthy epitaph.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
Even though I think that his guitar playing in OES tour was exceptional, better than ever, it is somehow unfair and not really comparable things with previous tours. Another time another man, a different guitar player.  How Long is a country song. When it comes to you is a country song as well. And the Bug is of course a country song, but like the other 2 international singles were not good. In fact they looked more like a desperate attempt to copy the single success of the BiA WoL, MfN and SFA followed by Y&YF (and TTH) like the BiA single. It didn't work, in the expected extend.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »
Even though I think that his guitar playing in OES tour was exceptional, better than ever, it is somehow unfair and not really comparable things with previous tours. Another time another man, a different guitar player.  How Long is a country song. When it comes to you is a country song as well. And the Bug is of course a country song, but like the other 2 international singles were not good. In fact they looked more like a desperate attempt to copy the single success of the BiA WoL, MfN and SFA followed by Y&YF (and TTH) like the BiA single. It didn't work, in the expected extend.

perfectly said, they are all great stages. It's why I love Knopfler so much, seeing him evolve to current day. I get very excited for the future :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »

The only real country track on OES is The Bug - which is also the only decent song on it.

Eh, How Long maybe? WICTY also.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
The first album is far more country influenced than OES - Setting me Up and Southbound are pure country songs.

Personally, I think OES is a terrible album - if it was representative of DS I would have never liked them.

It feels like MK couldn't really be bothered. I always like to think of Sailing to Philidelphia as the last DS album - it's a far more worthy epitaph.

???   I like most of the songs on OES.  The only two I'm not too keen on are My Parties and Ticket to Heaven.  :) 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
Some songs are hard to define strictly in terms of genre, but I'd say that The Bug is more rock 'n' roll while When it Comes to You is more blues than country. I love the feeling of the latter. Great guitar playing.

The great mysteries about the OES album are why Knopfler never recorded the fantastic I Think I Love You Too Much, and why he dismissed the great tunes Kingdom Come and Millionaire Blues but included My Parties.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 39 queries.