Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Album Covers  (Read 3534 times)

OfflineBuford T Justice

• Guitar George
Dire Straits Album Covers
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:28 AM »
Evening.

Just wondered if anyone had links to discussions or articles regarding the album covers, particularly those of the early Straits albums?

The Communique cover was always particularly interesting to me, reflecting the laid back approach of the music and recording surroundings.

The Making Movies cover on the other hand......erm, well!

Love Over Gold's cover - dramatic, raw power of nature - fitting to the music?

On Every Street - cowboy boots resting, a relaxed stop off on (Knopfler's) journey into Nashville and Americana proper?

Just wondered if there were ever any articles posted discussing album cover art from the band perspective (more than likely Mark's views)? The art is an important part of the musical release, at least it was prior to mp3 downloads, so I'd be interested in reading about its selection, what the band feel it adds to the musical experience etc.

I'd be interested in reading your views and thoughts too - what do the covers 'say' to you, how do they each relate to the music contained in the respective albums etc?
All the best for 2013 folks.

Buford
Buford T. Justice: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits Album Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
The BIA album cover was explained, if memory serves, by some interview.  The band were lounging by the pool in Monserrat while recording the album and Guy Fletcher held the National up into the air.  They thought it looked like a spaceship and that it could be an idea for the album cover.

I always rather liked the first one and MM!  Very bold statement.  None were what I would call great though. :-\
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »
Not great, but nearly legendary!  ;D  I think that MM is working exceptionally well both as a statement, as a clever graphic idea and as a selling tool, because it is memorable. It utilizes many rules of graphic design, such as simplicity, solid or/and vivid colours, etc. (Remember the white album by the Beatles?) But surely we must always remember that the impact record covers have on the public, usually come from the sales. (Remember the black album by the Damned?) The greatest the sales the more lasting the impression. If you search, you will find much "better" and anyway more intriguing covers than the DS ones (maybe with the exception of Alchemy) but poor sales have not helped them.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
Hi All,

I am rather new here, so... hello!!

I love the cover from the Dire Straits album.  And perhaps as a way to understand an album's message, I typically try to see how the artwork might tie into the imagery that the music evokes ...but I am not seeing it here.  Would like to throw this out -- is there something that I am not seeing?

Lis
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 38 queries.