Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: American Songwriter, Lyric of The Week  (Read 12240 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: American Songwriter, Lyric of The Week
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:15 PM »
sorry but I agree with twm....
see what I've posted about guitarists, I think it's the same point of view

If I may suggest: we're not only talking about a guitarist here though;  it's the whole package and his contribution to the world of music that makes him a legend IMHO. :)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 12:57:59 AM »
It may be possible to call MK a legend when he's playing the great gig in the sky, because a legend has enduring fame when they've gone.  I also think its difficult to quantify and only a matter of opinion.  To us fans, MK is a legend and nobody can change our minds on that. Even the genius of TWM.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:45:45 AM by Banjo99uk »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:14:16 AM »
Even the genius of TWM!  Touch

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:44:20 AM »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »
And taken as such.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »
If I may suggest: we're not only talking about a guitarist here though;  it's the whole package and his contribution to the world of music that makes him a legend IMHO

Yes of course I know, but I just wanted to say that it's the same kind of discussion : how to "rate" the importance of a guitarist / artist in rock music history  :)

To us fans, MK is a legend and nobody can change our minds on that

Yes and I think that it's exactly the point. It's a FAN'S POINT OF VIEW, not an "objective" one
Of course I know that "perfect objective mind" is impossible, but we can try to tend to...

what I like about twm' s posts is that it shows us the other side of the world....
I think that sometimes people here on AMIT forum have a view too much focused on MK.
yes he's a great writer/composer/musician etc... yes we LOVE his music, but I don't think that it makes him a "genius" nor a "legend"

at each new album release we are saying that it's a gem, a masterpiece, etc...
but when I make it listen to my friends/family/co-workers, they say all the same : boring, always same music, same melody, "p

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »
One of the things I pride myself in is being as objective as I can possibly be - no matter what topic it is.  Whether it's a referee's decision at the football or JF & twm's decision to award a penalty against MK fans! ;)  JF, you're supposed to be on our side - boo!

This objectivity will no doubt be well known on AMIT because I haven't exactly been holding back on my thoughts (much to the horror of some of you no doubt)! ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:50:27 PM by dmg »

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
Unless MK has a renaisance like Johnny Cash did before he died I dont think he will be leaving a lasting legacy. Can you really see a film being made about him. Hes not cool, totally unfashionable, avoids limelight and has not been shot dead, or died in a cocaine fuelled orgy. These are the things that make legends.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
In the case of some of those mentioned by JF, they had a very short time in the music business eg Hendrix and Kurt Cobain and I wonder if they would still be hailed as a legend or a genius if they hadn't died so young.   We will never know!   What I do know is that I prefer MK's music a million times more than either of them!    ;)

I do think MK is a genius - he's the complete musician - fine lyricist, songwriter, guitarist, producer.... and actually I do find him pretty cool too and I much prefer to have him alive and still composing and playing great music for us than be a dead "legend"!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:43:48 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »
Unless MK has a renaisance like Johnny Cash did before he died I dont think he will be leaving a lasting legacy. Can you really see a film being made about him. Hes not cool, totally unfashionable, avoids limelight and has not been shot dead, or died in a cocaine fuelled orgy. These are the things that make legends.

yes totally agree

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
In the case of some of those mentioned by JF, they had a very short time in the music business eg Hendrix and Kurt Cobain and I wonder if they would still be hailed as a legend or a genius if they hadn't died so young.   We will never know!   What I do know is that I prefer MK's music a million times more than either of them!    ;)

I do think MK is a genius - he's the complete musician - fine lyricist, songwriter, guitarist, producer.... and actually I do find him pretty cool too and I much prefer to have him alive and still composing and playing great music for us than be a dead "legend"!

yes I wonder too how would be perceived Hendrix if he was still alive
And how would be perceived the beatles if they were still touring as the stones...maybe less "legendary" ?

but the fact that the stones record some crap music since 1975, I think it don't affect their "legendary" era between 68 and 72

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »

Very good point Banjo.  It seems that in his attempts to ensure a more peaceful life for himself and his family and his responsible behaviour too, he has been the master of his own downfall in terms of being labelled "legendary."  He is, however legendary in the world of music whether he is well known to the younger generation or not IMHO.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
Just thinking about the label "legend" or "legendary".   It is so over-used and inappropriate in most cases.   Shouldn't the person be dead to be a legend?   :think     In that case MK/DS may be legends eventually!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
Just thinking about the label "legend" or "legendary".   It is so over-used and inappropriate in most cases.   Shouldn't the person be dead to be a legend?   :think     In that case MK/DS may be legends eventually!   ;)

A lot of people use the phrase "living legend" or "legend in their own lifetime," but I don't prescribe to this way of thinking myself.  Sure, one can leave a legacy but it can also be amassed during ones own lifetime I think. :think

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »
I've a feeling MK wouldn't be too impressed about being called a legend or even a genius.  I think he would be more than a bit embarrassed about it.   He has already said many times that he doesn't know why people would want to be famous!  I'm sure he likes things as they are -writing songs and performing them on his own terms.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.