Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: American Songwriter, Lyric of The Week  (Read 12248 times)

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
American Songwriter, Lyric of The Week
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »
Hi!

Just a nice article posted today on americansongwriter.com's Lyric of The Week about Sultans of Swing...

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/01/dire-straits-sultans-of-swing/

J :)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: American Songwriter, Lyric of The Week
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:43 PM »
Many thanks Jarle for posting!     :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »

Thank you Jarle for posting this article! :thumbsup

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »
What a lovely little article..... one of those ones that you read and think "yeah, Mark Knopfler really is a genius and living legend".

thanks for the post :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:34:45 AM »
Thanks for the article. I made me feel really really good !! :)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
Well, he's "living" anyway. Being "a genius" is something way beyond having a great talent and, as for his being a "legend", that stretches the meaning of the word to breaking point. I acknowledge Mark's great skill and talent and enjoy seeing them displayed in concert but to take those attributes to the level you have suggested, xxFordiexx, is beyond my comprehension.  I know this is an MK forum, but let's have a reality check, please.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
The word "legend" is one I do not take lightly and very few people in the world of music fall into that category.  However (and I guess you knew that word was coming twm ;)) MK most definitely does fall into that category as does BD.

One must consider not just the songs and their contribution to popular culture (the solos on MFN and SOS, especially are legendary) but also the number of artists of calibre they have collaborated with.  Then there is their longevity and even, perhaps one should take a look at DS at their peak being the biggest band in the country (maybe the world) having the biggest selling album, biggest sell-out tour, appearing at Live-Aid, being at the forefront of the Compact Disc format etc.  All that is a very big impact on popular culture at the time and they were the band to see and even to play with, many special guests on stage at the London shows. 

His tours with EC and EH and collaborations with Chet, EH and JT are just a few of many top artists he worked with.  Oh, there was someone else he worked with who must have thought he was pretty good too.  Bob something-or-other... :think
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:44:25 PM by dmg »
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »
The word "legend" is one I do not take lightly and very few people in the world of music fall into that category.  However (and I guess you knew that word was coming twm ;)) MK most definitely does fall into that category as does BD.

One must consider not just the songs and their contribution to popular culture (the solos on MFN and SOS, especially are legendary) but also the number of artists of calibre they have collaborated with.  Then there is their longevity and even, perhaps one should take a look at DS at their peak being the biggest band in the country (maybe the world) having the biggest selling album, biggest sell-out tour, appearing at Live-Aid, being at the forefront of the Compact Disc format etc.  All that is a very big impact on popular culture at the time and they were the band to see and even to play with, many special guests on stage at the London shows. 

His tours with EC and EH and collaborations with Chet, EH and JT are just a few of many top artists he worked with.  Oh, there was someone else he worked with who must have thought he was pretty good too.  Bob something-or-other... :think

Totally agree!    :clap

Also if Dylan is considered a genius and a legend, MK certainly must be too!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
I never mentioned Dylan, so please don't drive me into comparing and contrasting MK and BD on the "genius" and "legendary" scales. We would all find that embarrasing. Please stick to MK. MK is very talented indeed and you should be able to make some kind of case that this talent amounts to genius. Legendary, on the other hand - you don't have a hope.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 02:42:45 PM »
I never mentioned Dylan, so please don't drive me into comparing and contrasting MK and BD on the "genius" and "legendary" scales. We would all find that embarrasing. Please stick to MK. MK is very talented indeed and you should be able to make some kind of case that this talent amounts to genius. Legendary, on the other hand - you don't have a hope.

Does Mrs. twm know you are writing this! ;)  Of course, I respect your opinion but can't agree with it. 

I don't want any comparisons between our respective "hero's," all I was trying to say was (knowing you are a fan) that I had total respect for Dylan and that I genuinely think he can be referred to as a legend.  Nothing more.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
I think, perhaps, I was the guilty party here!   I don't want to start comparisons between MK and Dylan either, but whilst I feel that Mark is just as much a genius as Bob, he isn't a legend in the same way, because as I see it, a legend doesn't need any introduction or explanation as to who he/she is.

Dylan is one of those people, but most people I talk to about Mark Knopfler haven't a clue who I am talking about!   Mentioning Dire Straits, though, is a different matter and then they know who I mean.   Dire Straits are legends, because they are so well-known but as Mark WAS Dire Straits, means he shares that legendary status too!    That's how I see it anyway!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:43:20 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
WRITTEN BEFORE THE LATEST CONTRIBUTION FROM superval

Forgive me but why do you ask about mrs twm ?  I have no idea what her view is on this matter. We don't discuss such things as whether particular performers are legendary or not. I have no idea what her view is.

My point is simply that calling MK "a genius" and "legendary" is premature and overstating things.

I made no comparison between MK and BD and have never used either word about BD, to the best of my memory. I suppose that, were I so minded, I could build a stronger case to apply one or both of these words in respect of BD than I could for MK but I think the terms are inappropriate for either performer. They are the sorts of words used by lazy journalists or sub-editors on a tight deadline.

In the fullness of time perhaps, these matters will be settled or, at least, some settled view will form and become the consensus. In all likelihood, this will be long after I have departed this world. Meantime, we should be cautious about applying such words.The past shows us that some people whose light shone brightly at one time are now little remembered, let alone regarded as legendary. Others, overlooked at the time, are now much in favour and, perhaps one might say, revered.  History can be a cruel master.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:37 PM »
we will only be able to call mk legendary way after today (be it after his death or simply in many years..) but i am convinced one day we but foremost "non-mk fans" like ourselves, will be talking about MK in terms like "legendary"
and i am already convinced, since a while, that the man IS a genius of some sorts, just his musical skills alone ...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »
sorry but I agree with twm....
see what I've posted about guitarists, I think it's the same point of view

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
A nice little article that was. And who cares about legendary and talented or genious. It is all about the music not the man.
Alexander the Great is legendary to the world and I hope to become  legendary to my children.   ;)
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.