Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A Newbie Here  (Read 7952 times)

Offlinealabhaois

• Guitar George
A Newbie Here
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:15:48 AM »
Hello, all:

I'm glad I found this forum-- I am a devotee of MK since the 80s and it's great being online with others who share my high opinion of him.  Happy New Year to all of you.  :wave

Cheers,

alabhaois

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: A Newbie Here
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »
Welcome to AMIT alabhaois and Happy New Year!    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »
Indeed, a warm welcome to our happy home!  You saw the light (as it were) around the same time I did in the mid 80s, BIA period.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Mona Dee

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
Welcome at AMIT, becoming a member here is a great thing to start the year !

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Welcome, alabhaois!
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:54:52 AM »
Welcome aboard!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:25:10 AM »
Great to have you with us!
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 10:33:51 PM »

Hello Alhabaois welcome to the AMIT forum! It is great to see your message!
I hope you will have a great time as we all have by talking about Mark and his music!
Of course there are sections also where you can talk about other things as well!  ;D

Btw for all the new people at AMIT, there is a special thread in the General discussion section called "Who are we?"
I just put it on page 1 again.  ;D It would be nice to see you all introducing yourself as well!

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:18:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum and a happy new year indeed :)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinealabhaois

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »
Thank you, all, for your hospitality!  I'm sorry it took me so long to reply-- life sometimes has a habit of getting in the way.

At any rate, I continue to love listening to DS-- to be honest, I haven't done too much listening to Mark's solo stuff (don't hit me!)-- I keep thinking that when I'm "tired" (hah!) of DS, I'll delve into the solo stuff, but so far, I haven't gotten tired of it at all, and, frankly, I doubt if I ever will. DS has so much depth and is so intricate and beautiful, that I can't wrench myself away.

I did watch the beginning of "Wag the Dog" the other night, and the film opened with this gorgeous, delicate music. Of course, the music was Mark's. He is incredible-- other than Ray Davies and Pete Townshend, I can't think of anyone who can hold a candle to him!!

Cheers,
alabhaois

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »
Thank you, all, for your hospitality!  I'm sorry it took me so long to reply-- life sometimes has a habit of getting in the way.

At any rate, I continue to love listening to DS-- to be honest, I haven't done too much listening to Mark's solo stuff (don't hit me!)-- I keep thinking that when I'm "tired" (hah!) of DS, I'll delve into the solo stuff, but so far, I haven't gotten tired of it at all, and, frankly, I doubt if I ever will. DS has so much depth and is so intricate and beautiful, that I can't wrench myself away.

I did watch the beginning of "Wag the Dog" the other night, and the film opened with this gorgeous, delicate music. Of course, the music was Mark's. He is incredible-- other than Ray Davies and Pete Townshend, I can't think of anyone who can hold a candle to him!!

Cheers,
alabhaois

I often feel that most of my favourite songs are the one that didn't hit me straight away.  They took many listens before I took to them and now I love them.  Conversely, some that I took to immediately are now among my least favourite!

Wag the Dog is a very good film too.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
alabhaois -   I became a fan of DS in the early 80s and I loved just about everything, but when Mark went solo, my love of DS took a back seat, with the exception of certain songs that I still love.   I suppose that I am pretty much the opposite of you, in that my preference is for MK's solo music, which I find much more interesting and beautiful, even though sometimes it is not so guitar based as DS.

In your first post, you mentioned that you were a devotee of MK since the 80s -  so I would really urge you to give the MK solo songs a good listen and I'm sure you will eventually love them just as I do!   I agree with dmg that they probably don't immediately become favourites, as did the DS songs, but a few spins will reap rich rewards - I promise!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
I agreed with the depth in the DS songs.  I love both DS and solo stuff just equally the same.  I couldn't imagine Mark making the same type of music today  he did during the DS era.  It just seems unfitting for him. Love how his songs evolved with the time we are in.

Haven't seen Wag the dog yet ! Is it that good a film ? 

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
I agreed with the depth in the DS songs.  I love both DS and solo stuff just equally the same.  I couldn't imagine Mark making the same type of music today  he did during the DS era.  It just seems unfitting for him. Love how his songs evolved with the time we are in.

I would highly recommend it.  Hoffman and de Niro are a great duo and it's pretty funny too.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »

I would highly recommend it.  Hoffman and de Niro are a great duo and it's pretty funny too.

dmg, thanks  for the recommendation.  I have to find time to sit down and watch it.  Apart from " local Hero" I haven't watched any other movie film scores. Any of them worth watching ? Cal, Metroland, last exit to Brooklyn, princess bride, a shot at glory ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.