Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: concert without straits songs?  (Read 8095 times)

Offlinezeusjazmin

• Guitar George
concert without straits songs?
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
hi folks,with the ever growing number of solo albums piling up do you think we will ever see a mk concert without any straits stuff at all?
for me i hope it never happens but knowing mk desire to look forward all the time i think it will eventually happen.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: concert without straits songs?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
MK has said in recent interviews that he can't imagine concerts without the classics. Because if he for instance doesn't play the "twiddly bits" in Sultans people would go nuts or get pissed or both.

So the answer is (and will hopefully forever be) - no.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
I would certainly go to see a concert without DS songs. But I think that the majority of people are craving for DS songs. So if the word spreads that he does not play them, we will see many half empty halls. Don't judge from us. We are get - a - lifer-s. ;D
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinezeusjazmin

• Guitar George
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
i hope there will always be straits songs on every tour,there are so many songs not played live from band and solo that i would love to hear.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
I would certainly go to see a concert without DS songs. But I think that the majority of people are craving for DS songs. So if the word spreads that he does not play them, we will see many half empty halls. Don't judge from us. We are get - a - lifer-s. ;D

I will, humble as a man can be 8) 8) 8), quote a message of myself that I've stated in another similar topic:

I was reading this topic from the beggining and was thinking about the average gig-goer, who is not a die-hard fan and just want to listen to the songs MK is known for. A show for members of this list would've to be a incredible mix of never played before gems and extended versions of some of the new album. But I turn to the average guy and if he goes to a MK gig and doesn't listen to anything on the mood of MfN, BiA, TR or ToL, R&J, WoL, SoS, he will return home and never again will take a glimpse at anything the man is doing in the future. Perhaps he'll also break some old DS cds in disgust.

So I think that MK is in dire straits coz he has to please three kinds os expectations in his tours. Firstly, he has to do it for himself. Rudiger and Done with Bonaparte maybe are the best examples of this fulfilment. Secondly, for the primary fans, to whom he always plays new stuff or extended versions. And thirdly, but not least, he has to play something to the people who don't follow his solo career and are waiting to hear the oldies goldies. And I guess these are the majority of people to pops up in a show.

So, when some of us vote for the exclusion of all the biggest hits in favour of obscure tunes, I fear for the success of the gig. It would be heaven for the die hard fans? Yes indeed. But it wouldn't satisfy more than a half of the crowd.

As for me, I live in a country 8.000 km away from the closest gig. In the few shows I was able to attend (two of them in my homecountry, Brazil), I was expecting to see the man playing SoS, MfN, BiA, ToL, TR, R&J, SFA, WoL. If he had dropped it all, I would grow old mourning that I never heard him play the music that made him famous.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
I agree nababo.  For one of my concerts, my brother and his wife will be accompanying us and they are really only on nodding terms with Mark's solo work and I know it would be a huge disappointment for them if they didn't hear some of the most well-known DS songs, particularly TR, SOS and R & J, so I hope for people like them he will continue to play these songs.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
I would be very happy to go to a concert and hear all DS songs and no solo songs!  I'm not saying they're rubbish, but being honest the DS stuff is what I fell in love with and I'll always love that best.  In fact Speedway is probably the highlight of any MK show these days.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »
I honestly don't think Sultans, Romeo & Juliet or Brothers In Arms will ever be dropped from his set list. Whilst I would hate it to happen I just wonder if Telegraph RD will one day be dropped. I hope not... Amazing Song
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
I would be very happy to go to a concert and hear all DS songs and no solo songs!  I'm not saying they're rubbish, but being honest the DS stuff is what I fell in love with and I'll always love that best.  In fact Speedway is probably the highlight of any MK show these days.

You should go see The Straits ;)
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »

I have principles! ;)
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »
He did a concert without Straits songs, in Dublin 2011, touring with Bob Dylan, he didnt play any DS songs... But then the next concert he did, and went playing DS songs during the rest of that tour, so that show was the only one.
So Long

Mona Dee

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »

...but going to The Straits would mean, not to hear Speedway (highlight of every show) because Speedway is from his solo-album... or do The Straits play songs from Marks solo albums, too ?

To be honest, I would love to see a concert only with solo-songs, and maybe at a smaller venue, yes, that must be so great  :D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:03:57 AM »
I just wanna see him play, no matter which songs...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 06:49:36 AM »
Amen! Of the people that go to see MK solo shows (not opening for Bob)..I would estimate that about 85-90% of that crowd are get-a lifers...just like us..and would know every song in the set list..regardless the songs being DS or MK solo. As for the occasional a-holes who decide (unwisely) to shout out "PLAY MONEY FOR NUTHIN" (like the idiot next to me in 2008 did during "Marbletown")...most of the aforementioned would probably do like I would...turn to the  offender and tell them quietly but tersely to..shut the fuck up. SOS will never be dropped..it was his first big break..and both R&J and BIA are just too important to him.
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Amen! Of the people that go to see MK solo shows (not opening for Bob)..I would estimate that about 85-90% of that crowd are get-a lifers...just like us..and would know every song in the set list..regardless the songs being DS or MK solo. As for the occasional a-holes who decide (unwisely) to shout out "PLAY MONEY FOR NUTHIN" (like the idiot next to me in 2008 did during "Marbletown")...most of the aforementioned would probably do like I would...turn to the  offender and tell them quietly but tersely to..shut the fuck up. SOS will never be dropped..it was his first big break..and both R&J and BIA are just too important to him.
Beg to differ. I know that the percentage is rather 30% get-a-lifers, 70% for various reasons:
a)want to see a living legend, before he leaves the building
b)guitar aficionados
c)DS old fans
d)The "better half" or kids that go out to see what  sort of music their not so good half / parents like
e) rock fans who have heard his latest album but wish for the good old times
and the list goes on.
Maybe we can ask for a test trial!  ;D But really it doesn't matter for us, we would go anyway.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.