Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK _ Guitar Stories Sky Arts  (Read 51314 times)

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
Re: MK _ Guitar Stories Sky Arts
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
Nice documentary, but part about Pensa is very strange. The legendary Pensa-Suhr (aka MK1) was not designed in cafe by Rudy and Mark. Nothing about John Suhr. The John's words regarding the MK1:

"I already had begun the carve, it was just something I wanted to do. I had just finished one in Alder unbound. It was actually my first bound carved top and the lack of tools at my disposal made it a real challenge, I armed myself with a Die Grinder, some sanding disks and a router and let some dust fly. When I was in the carving process Rudy decided it would be a great guitar for MK for the Mandela Concert. They went out to lunch and talked about details like Pickup color etc but otherwise it was pretty much already set in stone. Mark had some extra ideas like tapering the headstock which I explained it was too late. He also didn't like the rings not matching the pickup color and wanted Ivory color so I mounted the humbucker from the back so no ring was used. He decided the bridge should be locked to the body since he had no intention of using the trem really but enjoyed the stability of a locking setup. I used his normal 6105 fret wire and added the EMG SPC on the push pull pot, EMG SA, SA, 85, I also put a circuit in there to try and balance out the Bridge middle combo. Building it on the fly at the last minute I realized the body was too thin for the switch and have a control plate not hit it so I had to get creative by cutting down the back of the 5way switch. It was Mahogany Back, 1 Piece maple top Lacquer Colors and Polyester top coat even on the neck since it is the only top coat that would dry in 2 days. At that time Anderson was cutting our raw parts but this was not programmed yet. So basically I only had a perimeter Body and neck to work with, it was only 2D no neck shape, no body carves etc, so everything else including paint was done by me which was kind of rare since we didn't really have a spray booth intended for that. Usually we had Pat Wilkins do the paint who also used to do Andersons paint since painting in NYC was sketchy. Eventually Mark grew less fond of the guitar as the neck was slim and he started to prefer larger necks. It always had a very unique tone though through his Jim Kelley amps."

Love Expresso

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
Seen John AND David reply on this Facebook question ( to John I believe) about mark playing the sultans demo?

and so, what did he reply ? (I'm not on FB)

JF, this little dialogue was on John Illsley's facebook page:
Someone asked "Did Mark finish playing along to the entire demo of sultans?"

John answered "there is quite a bit of film on the cutting room floor !! Mark played along to the first few minutes of the track."

Surprisingly, David Knopfler also answered at the same thread: "He certainly did back in 1977"

Which was quite unexpected and shows a) David is facebook friend of John Illsley  ;D  and b) David has obviously been interested in the Guitar Stories documentary!

LE

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Seen John AND David reply on this Facebook question ( to John I believe) about mark playing the sultans demo?

John answered "there is quite a bit of film on the cutting room floor !! Mark played along to the first few minutes of the track."

Surprisingly, David Knopfler also answered at the same thread: "He certainly did back in 1977"

Which was quite unexpected and shows a) David is facebook friend of John Illsley  ;D  and b) David has obviously been interested in the Guitar Stories documentary!

LE

many thanks  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
I downloaded it yesterday!!! It is a fantastic documentary and it is always nice to see JI with MK. My opinion is that the Martin HD-40MK has more influence in MKs music than the Monteleone Isabella. :hmm What do you believe ?

Yes agree
I also think that the guitars order doesn't reflect Mark's main influences
The #1 had to be the national or the 61 regarding the whole DS/MK history in terms of sounds and images

sorry for this comment.

by seing the trailers, I thought that the number was the order of "importance"

by starting watching the whole documentary (not finished yet) I understood, it was in fact the chronological order of guitars, sot it's correct
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:58:16 PM by JF »

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
Absolutely loved this documentary!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Looks like we've all agreed on something at last! ;D
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »

LE

many thanks  :)

and C) DK has a good sense of humour too  ;D
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
Yes, very poor that John Suhr got no mention, I seem to recall that Rudy even muttered that he built it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Mona Dee

« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »
Some days ago I saw Guitar Stories on Youtube and I LOVED it. I`ve never been interested in guitars before but now I heard that every guitar of MK has its totally different sound. Maybe I have to explain : I have never played any instruments, so that was really new to me... now I understand why some of you write a lot about guitars here in the forum !
And I have a guitar-question now : Does anybody knows, what guitar M uses in Bluebird ??? Still - after a million times listening - my favourite  ;D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
Some days ago I saw Guitar Stories on Youtube and I LOVED it. I`ve never been interested in guitars before but now I heard that every guitar of MK has its totally different sound. Maybe I have to explain : I have never played any instruments, so that was really new to me... now I understand why some of you write a lot about guitars here in the forum !
And I have a guitar-question now : Does anybody knows, what guitar M uses in Bluebird ??? Still - after a million times listening - my favourite  ;D

welcome in guitar freaks world Mona dee !  :D

we are waiting for Guy's information, but my guess is the Gibson ES 330 (like on Behind with the rent) or 335 (like on Baloney again, the one on the pic inside the STP booklet)
you can see some pics here :
http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/index.php/getluckyrecording2009/March_2009_Update

it also could be the Les paul 58

what is "sure", is that it's not a strat or a tele

to simplify : fender guitars (stratocasters, telecasters ....) have single coils pick-ups, so bright and "clear" sound, while gison guitars (Les Paul, SG, ES...) have double coil pick-ups  so "round", "fat" sound.

of course, it's a litlle bit more complicated, and sometimes it's hard to know for sure which kind of guitar you hear

I tried to compil all gear used on all albums here :
http://www.mk-guitar.com/gear-on-all-songs-for-all-albums-wiki/

it's lot of speculations, discussion with other guitar freaks, infos taken on itw, etc...

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
I work in school.  This semester we have a British teacher Mr. Thrower in our school who teaches students English.  He said he used to be the IT teacher of Ben Knopfler.  And he saw Ben's father once in the parent meeting in the boarding school where Ben studied in at that time.  And Mr. Thrower even played the first steel guitar of Mark, the National, gaven to Ben.  How small the world is!  And today I showed him this video.  He immediately brought back some sweet memories.

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
Quote from: JF
I tried to compil all gear used on all albums here :
http://www.mk-guitar.com/gear-on-all-songs-for-all-albums-wiki/

it's lot of speculations, discussion with other guitar freaks, infos taken on itw, etc...

Great work you, Ingo and others are doing!!!

Wishes
Allen
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Mona Dee

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
JF, thanks for your explanations...I heard the snippets that Mark played on the different guitars and I can say, that I have my favourits now, although : every single guitar matches obviously with different songs. But my favourit guitars after watching the Guitar Stories are the Gibson Les Paul und the Monteleone. So your thoughts, that on BB he is playing maybe the Les Paul goes with my feelings about song and guitar !

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
When I first watched it I didn't understand why he picked the Monteleone instead of his Martin Signature which is much more used and useful. Then I saw it for the second time, then for the third time and then again and again, and finally perceived how emotional that bit is, a perfect ending for the show.

I truly hope the show will continue. That would be awesome to see John interviewing other aces.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »
Finally I managed to watch the documentary. It put a lot of smiles on my face. :) :) :) I love it.  I wish it was a lot longer than 45 minutes. 

I really LOVE the red strat. It's soooooo gorgeous.  I saw Mark play it right in front of me in SF. I could never forget the beauty of that guitar. 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 45 queries.