Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK _ Guitar Stories Sky Arts  (Read 51293 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: MK _ Guitar Stories Sky Arts
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
Bravo Val! That actually proves you are a fan and have a solid brain!

Oh, but it rains all the time, doesn't it?  ;)

One of my absolute favourite DS songs. Almost dark, his lyrics so universal and gloomy, (I think I could spot some references to "All about Eve" movie, but I have to see it again to remember which-one of them but too general anyway is  the "you screw people over on the way up, cause you thought that you were never coming down") and the extended solo exit, one of the greatest and least played live. Too bad! It started raining here too. A shy rain.

I love that solo, it's amazing and definitely one I would like to hear played live, but I doubt very much it will ever happen.   He sounds so Dylanesque, too, on this song!     

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
Yes, the way the lyrics unravel is probably the most Dylanesque song.

It is peculiar really, because I was watching a film the other day and I realized that especially in the USA they have been using these abreviations for so long and for so many things, that the actual language which is by nature a schematic/encoded way to convey meanings, gets more encoded and finally not only we don't remember the original words, but this "veil" falls over the meaning as well. In effect, we have something that is named but not with its actual name, so in a way obvious but hidden at the same time and the psycological effect is greater for the hidden/unknown. CIA, FBI, NSA etc. Of course these names are common, we all know what they mean, and that is why the effect is greater!   

btw, imho, fbi, is fo.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
Yes, the way the lyrics unravel is probably the most Dylanesque song.

It is peculiar really, because I was watching a film the other day and I realized that especially in the USA they have been using these abreviations for so long and for so many things, that the actual language which is by nature a schematic/encoded way to convey meanings, gets more encoded and finally not only we don't remember the original words, but this "veil" falls over the meaning as well. In effect, we have something that is named but not with its actual name, so in a way obvious but hidden at the same time and the psycological effect is greater for the hidden/unknown. CIA, FBI, NSA etc. Of course these names are common, we all know what they mean, and that is why the effect is greater!   

btw, imho, fbi, is fo.

FBI, CIA they're all in the same alphabet soup!
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
Yeah, Soup! Great for this kind of weather!  ;D
I miss J Edgar Hoover, though I never met him!  ;D
FBI is for internal, CIA is for external (  ;) ) and NSA stands for "Not such Agency" . Remember the Redford movie "Sneakers"? In the end they ask for favours from a CIA high rank officer, and the blind one asks for peace on earth. The reply is fantastic:" We are the CIA, we don't such things"!

btw Val, do you watch the Simpsons? The other day you used the famous Bart saying:"Damn if you do, damned if you don't".

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »

btw Val, do you watch the Simpsons? The other day you used the famous Bart saying:"Damn if you do, damned if you don't".

No, I have never watched The Simpsons, but the phrase I used, "He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't"  is quite common in the UK, meaning whatever he decides to do will be wrong - you can't please everybody!   :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
JF, so with your "trained eye" - is the one Mark fetches out of the case ("here she is") REALLY the original one from 1961 or is it a signature one? I think she looks spectacular fresh and new, really not like 50 years old... and as there are some other "minor" mistakes in this documentary, maybe they screw us with this one, too?

LE

Well, the case is the same I've got with my signature. Pick ups really look like Texas Special (magnets at center are higher than magnets at sides). It looks like brand new. IMHO actually "she" is a Signature on the video.

No, it's the real 61' strat on the video :look at the headstock or the pickguard, you can see the marks of time, and no signature on the headstock.
But I think that the body has been re-refinished since this picture :

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »
JF, so with your "trained eye" - is the one Mark fetches out of the case ("here she is") REALLY the original one from 1961 or is it a signature one? I think she looks spectacular fresh and new, really not like 50 years old... and as there are some other "minor" mistakes in this documentary, maybe they screw us with this one, too?

LE

Well, the case is the same I've got with my signature. Pick ups really look like Texas Special (magnets at center are higher than magnets at sides). It looks like brand new. IMHO actually "she" is a Signature on the video.
Well, my eyes are not very well trained but I say the one MK played in the documentary is definitely the real deal from 1961. It's well maintained but the yellowish pickguard  shows the signs of wear. I'm sure there are other details giving it away.

stratocasteph beats me ;)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2012, 06:21:04 PM »
OK, sorry in advance for the long post

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
Water OL and Walk OL.  No end of misery for naming files on my computer. :disbelief
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
And as I have stated before, the best WoL is Water of Love!
I know what you mean when you refer to old guitars. It is the close to the spring feeling. The older the more genuine and closer to the original dream.  With my limited knowledge, I have only one disagreement. Fender started this thing, in order to build cheap yet reliable electric guitars, so that every home can afford and have one. The Stratocaster guitar has become a fetish item with unique sound, more than any other guitar, and suddenly we have several different models and very high prices, when production is higher that that of the 50ies and 60ies. This I understand, but i can't find the logic.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2012, 05:55:08 AM »
If Sweetsurrender had a wonderful experience seeing MK close-up in front of her, playing beautiful music on a beautiful red strat, does it really matter which model of red strat it is!   It is definitely the guitarist who matters most to me!     :)

It's so very true.  It's MK that matters ! :D :thumbsup :clap. I'd better stop there, before I turn it into yet another drooling thread.  I really couldn't tell the difference.  But I  really appreciate tidbits of info, though .  Now, do we know why Mark doesn't play with the first red strat any more?

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2012, 05:57:27 AM »
Yes these abreviations are for strong puzzle crackers! My favourite is PONO, an easy one, but sounds like the Greek word for "hurt/ache" (pono') .
I usually write the whole title when there is no reference on previous posts, just above mine.  And it gets more complicated for the songs that don't get mentioned that often (DTTW, ITG, INR, TMTS, RATR, YLT etc). I don't think that finding them instantly is a fan indication, but surely it is a good brain workout for altzheimers. ;D

It got me thinking hard. PONO ? what song?

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »
Planet of New Orleans. the best song with the pensa guitar sound.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »
I loved seeing the 61 Strat on the vid, so beautiful.
Makes me want one... :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
Quote from JF:
"The sig strat is just...well a fender guitar built in serial just some years ago...nothing special to me, appart it is played by Mark"

I dont think so somehow!! I guess you haven't played one then?
One of mine incidentally is 'on loan' to a guitarist friend and he has played and recorded with a lot of fenders/guitars like myself and we both absolutley adore the MK Strat - Oooooh the sound, the playability, the look, the feel.... etc!!!

Each to their own I guess - but if you get a chance to have a go on an 'MK' strat - go for it! 
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.