Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitar Stories  (Read 25942 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Guitar Stories
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
yes very promising, but shame he don't own the first maple red strat or the sunburst schecter anymore...

http://www.mk-guitar.com/mark-knopfler-gear-database/fender-stratocaster-1962/

http://www.mk-guitar.com/mark-knopfler-gear-database/schecter-dream-machine-sunburst-1980-the-replacement/

Very true.  He and Guy keep saying you get a better tone from an older guitar, yet his workhorse now is his new signature Strat. ???  I'm not fond of the sound from that personally compared to his older Strats, nor the shiny look it's got.

Also, these Monteleone guitars look alright (a little over-elaborate for my taste), but they're just ornaments really;  never to be taken on tour or really properly used.

Sacrilage!!!! I have personally never played such a beautiful Strat in my life nor has my local Fender dealer either!!!! and I really love the 'smooth' sound MK gets from his too! Listen to Redbud City!

Each to their own I guess... ;)
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
Sky Arts is bizarrely only available in HD if you get your Sky TV from Virgin!  Get it from Sky and you cannot get HD! :disbelief

EDIT:   Actually, it is!  I was misled by the Radio Times that was a little vague, but having checked on the TV it is actually HD from Sky too. :-[

I have Sky TV and can confirm i can DEFINATELY get the Arts channel in HD - its what ill be wathcing in! ;D
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Sky Arts is bizarrely only available in HD if you get your Sky TV from Virgin!  Get it from Sky and you cannot get HD! :disbelief

EDIT:   Actually, it is!  I was misled by the Radio Times that was a little vague, but having checked on the TV it is actually HD from Sky too. :-[

I have Sky TV and can confirm i can DEFINATELY get the Arts channel in HD - its what ill be wathcing in! ;D

I did edit it a few minutes later.  A stupid mistake as I was looking through the Radio Times at the time and it made no reference to it being in HD when they listed the Sky number, but they did when listed the Virgin number!  I checked on the TV guide on my TV (I have Sky HD) and it was in HD so I amended my comment.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
Maybe I should check the trailer again, but is it true that there is no Martin among the six chosen guitars? That would be strange...  Marbletown, Get Lucky... some important tracks in his recent career..

Also, the red Telecaster from Walk Of Life is a wonderful guitar that should be chosen instead of the "more theoretical" Monteleone guitars... these ones I don't like especially....

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »
Maybe I should check the trailer again, but is it true that there is no Martin among the six chosen guitars? That would be strange...  Marbletown, Get Lucky... some important tracks in his recent career..

Also, the red Telecaster from Walk Of Life is a wonderful guitar that should be chosen instead of the "more theoretical" Monteleone guitars... these ones I don't like especially....

LE

Agree on Martin!

Mine would be Red Schecter, National, Les Paul 58, MK Martin, MK1 Pensa, MK Signature Strat.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »

Klaas Bouke, thank you very much for posting those beautiful pictures! I loved watching!  :P

I also hope we will be able to watch this program at TV! I would hate it if that's not possible!  :'(

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
yes very promising, but shame he don't own the first maple red strat or the sunburst schecter anymore...

http://www.mk-guitar.com/mark-knopfler-gear-database/schecter-dream-machine-sunburst-1980-the-replacement/

Very true.  He and Guy keep saying you get a better tone from an older guitar, yet his workhorse now is his new signature Strat. ???  I'm not fond of the sound from that personally compared to his older Strats, nor the shiny look it's got.

Also, these Monteleone guitars look alright (a little over-elaborate for my taste), but they're just ornaments really;  never to be taken on tour or really properly used.

Sacrilage!!!! I have personally never played such a beautiful Strat in my life nor has my local Fender dealer either!!!! and I really love the 'smooth' sound MK gets from his too! Listen to Redbud City!

sorry, but I'm not fond of the sig strat at all

Redbud tree (not city  ;)) or beachcombing are nice tones, but from the "recent" stuff, listen to What it is ! STP ! these are real amazing tones ! 61 and 62 strats !  :D
and of course 77-79 stuff  :P

in 80s and early 90s all guitarists used "modern" guitars, or modern gear : schecter, pensa and soldano for MK, sig strat for EC, BMG PU on the red strat for Gilmour, etc...
but in the mid 90s and 2000, vintage guitars, amps and stompboxes re-emerged : Gilmour used his lengedary black strat and big muff again, Mark his 61 and LP, and fender amps, and so on...

I would have loved that Mark kept his 61 for strat sounds, like Gilmour does with his black strat, but unfortunately, Mark prefered to use this sig strat, which I find a little bit impersonal. It doesn't have the particular DS/MK history, it's just another fender serial-manufactured guitar to me, just with Mark's specifications, but not THE guitar which was used on legendary tracks like sultans.

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Agree with the vintage guitars, e.g. I loved Clapton's Blackie tone, but it was gone the day he changed to his signature model. I could understand that Mark wants to save them from the stress of being carried around the world, but he plays even two Les Pauls from the 50ies (great he does!!) so why not the 61 Strat? Maybe it has to do with having several Strats with different string gauge, or it is part of his contract with Fender?

I hope someone will record the Guitar Story, I don't have Sky but I MUST watch it :))
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 01:06:05 PM »

sorry, but I'm not fond of the sig strat at all

Redbud tree (not city  ;)) or beachcombing are nice tones, but from the "recent" stuff, listen to What it is ! STP ! these are real amazing tones ! 61 and 62 strats !  :D
and of course 77-79 stuff  :P

in 80s and early 90s all guitarists used "modern" guitars, or modern gear : schecter, pensa and soldano for MK, sig strat for EC, BMG PU on the red strat for Gilmour, etc...
but in the mid 90s and 2000, vintage guitars, amps and stompboxes re-emerged : Gilmour used his lengedary black strat and big muff again, Mark his 61 and LP, and fender amps, and so on...

I would have loved that Mark kept his 61 for strat sounds, like Gilmour does with his black strat, but unfortunately, Mark prefered to use this sig strat, which I find a little bit impersonal. It doesn't have the particular DS/MK history, it's just another fender serial-manufactured guitar to me, just with Mark's specifications, but not THE guitar which was used on legendary tracks like sultans.

Actually What it Is was recorded with the Red Schecter Strat. That was the very last time Mark played that, at least in studio.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
let's not forget David's legendary #00001 strat, which he does still play on occasions...prime example being..

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
The Signature strat is a guitar that Mark designed for the strat sound he wanted in the early 00's, end not to be a copy of his original Fender red strat.
I owned a MK signature, the neck was great (7.25 radius with medium jumbo frets) but the association of Texas Specials pick ups and Ash body produced a mellower sound than I wanted. The Redbud Tree solo is an excellent example of the sound of this guitar.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
Actually What it Is was recorded with the Red Schecter Strat. That was the very last time Mark played that, at least in studio

Yes I heard this, but I'm not really sure it was the case.

Don't forget that many times, journalist, Guy, or even Mark's quotes are false ! just because they do'nt remember excatly what gear they used some months or years ago
Mark said in an itw that trawlerman'song was played on the 54 strat, and of course it's not (he used it on tour and on boothbay though)

WII sound likely more the 61 than the schecter strat. And around 98, 99 or 2000, when WII was recorded, Mark was more in the vintage "trip" (Les paul, 54 strat, blonde telecaster...) so I don't see why he would have used a so 80s guitar (even if he used it on going home on ANIL)
on STP promo tour in late 2000, and on tour in 2001, he always played it on the 61, so it's more likely that he ued it in srudio just before, rather tahn the schceter, but of course we will never be sure

The Signature strat is a guitar that Mark designed for the strat sound he wanted in the early 00's, end not to be a copy of his original Fender red strat.

Yes I know, but I was disapointed that he wanted a more "modern" sound than the vintage one, like many guitarists did in these days

let's not forget David's legendary #00001 strat, which he does still play on occasions...prime example being..
I think many here know this, but it's of course NOT the very 1st strat build.
You can hear it on ABITW part 2 for the famous funky rhythm

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
I thought that WII was recorded with the Olympic White strat he used on the STP tour, but I'm not sure.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
Agree with the vintage guitars, e.g. I loved Clapton's Blackie tone, but it was gone the day he changed to his signature model.

From what I read from Eric's guitar tech, Blackie was in such a bad shape that it was a miracle that "she" lasted until the end of  85' BTS tour.
She needed to be replaced. But I agree that the replacement from 86 onward  are not my favourite sound. The news series I think from  the second half of the 90's/early 00's sound much better to my ears.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
Clapton's late 80s / early 90s sound was absolutely junk. Just listen to something from the Mandela concert. Can't believe it. The man has the money to get the best equipment there is, and that was what he was able to get out of it.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 41 queries.