Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitar Stories  (Read 25919 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: Guitar Stories
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
I honestly think there is far too much emphasis on the actual guitars used (even though I'm an obsessed follower of Ingos blog). Mark or Eric would be the first to say they use whatever is at hand, and the amp / production has a much greater impact on the sound we hear....
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
Clapton's late 80s / early 90s sound was absolutely junk. Just listen to something from the Mandela concert. Can't believe it. The man has the money to get the best equipment there is, and that was what he was able to get out of it.

I agree that EC's tone from late80s eraly 90 isn't his best tone (my fav is Brownie with bassman from Derek era, or SG+wah from disraeli gears), but I don't know why, I like his tone on Mandela, and Wonderful tonight is my fav version

I thought that WII was recorded with the Olympic White strat he used on the STP tour, but I'm not sure.
I think that the white strat has been used only on the song STP (in studio and live)

I honestly think there is far too much emphasis on the actual guitars used (even though I'm an obsessed follower of Ingos blog). Mark or Eric would be the first to say they use whatever is at hand, and the amp / production has a much greater impact on the sound we hear....

totally agree.
The stompboxes/amp/production chain affect the sound far more than the guitar itself

I agree when Ingo says that the wood affect the change, but I think it's very subtle in comparison with using a different amp, different effects, or a different producer !

If EC had kept Blackie, but produced by Phil Collins, it wouald have sound "80s", while a sig strat into a bassman, produced nowadays sound more vintage

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that the 61 in a soldano, produced by Neil dorfsman would sound more "modern" than the pensa in a bassman, produced by Mark himself  ;D

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
I thought that WII was recorded with the Olympic White strat he used on the STP tour, but I'm not sure.

Can you cite some of the instruments you played on the new album? We

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
Nice article. I've read it a long time ago, but forgot about it. There he states why he's not using his early Pensa-Suhrs anymore. Too small necks.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »

Can you cite some of the instruments you played on the new album? We

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
I agree that What it is sounds rather like the 61 Strat than the red Schecter (although I also read the info with the red Schecter somewhere). Mark used the 61 on stage for this song, and he often plays the same guitar on stage as in the studio.

I imagine the red Schecter on the intro of Silvertown blues, the metallic sounds has something I associate with the Schecter.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
I agree that What it is sounds rather like the 61 Strat than the red Schecter (although I also read the info with the red Schecter somewhere). Mark used the 61 on stage for this song, and he often plays the same guitar on stage as in the studio.

I imagine the red Schecter on the intro of Silvertown blues, the metallic sounds has something I associate with the Schecter.

Funny but I can hear the red Schecter very very clearly in What it Is. I always thought that was it but since Mark had apparently retired that after OES I assumed my ears were tricking me. When I read it was the red Schecter indeed I had to appologise to my ears... lol
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinestrat61

• Guitar George
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »
Some confirmations here in the attached interview about guitars on Last Laugh White strat / What it is red schecter ..seems a tweed twin and 59 bassman were used also but not 100% on that

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
Yes of course he said it in an itw, but when doing so much itw, during so long time, I think that even Gu or Mark can't remenber exactly which gera was used, except if itwas listed, wrote and compiled by the sound enginner, or one of his assistant.

I think that sometimes during recording sessions, Mark and Glenn Saggers try different set-up : different guitars, amps...with different recording takes

So maybe, many months later, he remeber having used a particular guitar during days, but it's not necessarily the one on the final mix ?

I always quote the itw where Mark claims that trwalerman song is played on the 54 : maybe a take of this song with the 54 exist (and maybe that's why he played it this way on tour), but of course the final mix is with the LP58.

So it's hard to say if we can believe Mark's memory every time
Same for Guy, when he answers on his forum, sometimes it is just "if memory serve", but....

Of course we will never be 100% sure, but I agree with Ingo : the schecter sound is more "metallic" than the 61 fender, so indeed Silvertown sounds far more schecter than  WII

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »
Mark used the white Strat on the Letterman show and it sounded more like the studio version than probably any other live one in terms of tone.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »
We tend to associate the Red Schecter with the Alchemy version of Sultans of Swing, that metalic tone and stuff, but if you listen to Once Upon a Time in the West - when he used a different combination of pick-ups - it does sound just like What it Is IMHO.

I agree that you can be tricked by your memory here and there but I think that's the kind of occasion that must stick in somebody's head, the very last time you recorded a take with a special guitar. I don't think it's the kind of thing Mark would forget, that instrument must mean a lot to him.

We will never be 100% sure, unless it was filmed... But I'd bet on that, for sure.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Bah !  I don't have Sky - so I'll have to wait until it appears somewhere else ( and hope it is advertised if it's on one of the "obscure" channels)  Yes, it's nice to see JI with MK again, .. and looking the the window of "J.G. Windows" in the Central Arcade in Newcastle.

yes i recognise j g windows in newcastle;  mk bought his first ever guitar from a shop called Kitchens, right next to the old Tiffanys nightclub (used for scenes in Get Carter). the shop is now a bar.

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »
Has a recording from tv of this documentary/episode found it's way yet to the internet?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »
Has a recording from tv of this documentary/episode found it's way yet to the internet?

It's not being televised until 16th October.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
Here's another clip!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.