Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Frustration across the pond ...  (Read 40886 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Frustration across the pond ...
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »
Do you think that what happens between MK and WB is the same?

If Ustas is right and their contract ended in 2010, I dont get why sign with them again, I never understood why MK released his cds with WB at the US when he does with Universal at the rest of the world... Maybe in 1978 was better to sign with them at the US, but now that MK is not a young promising star anymore...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
The next 2 questions - why it is not released by Univarsal local divison? Why standard version or US version (as I understand - produced by UM specially for US market) is not imported to US yet?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
The next 2 questions - why it is not released by Univarsal local divison? Why standard version or US version (as I understand - produced by UM specially for US market) is not imported to US yet?

I guess MK is somewhat or fully still under contract with them. If so, UM cannot organise legal US distribution.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
A somewhat lengthy article, thought some of you might like to read. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but this stands out: "the average artist sees 23.40 for every $1000 of music sold.

:disbelief

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/universal-emi-merger_n_1897901.html
" I'm just living with the ringing of tomorrow's ancient rhymes"

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
A somewhat lengthy article, thought some of you might like to read. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but this stands out: "the average artist sees 23.40 for every $1000 of music sold.

:disbelief

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/universal-emi-merger_n_1897901.html

If you follow this link through to the source for that info, you get to another interesting article: http://www.theroot.com/views/how-much-do-you-musicians-really-make

Using the info from that article (average royalty of 13%), if an album sells say 200,000 copies (I have no idea how many albums Mark sells in the US nowadays), the artist might come out with $50 - 60,000 after all expenses.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »
I thought somebody gave a US chart position for the album. How is this possible if it hasn't been released?

PS Touring with no album = Spinal Tap...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineAl

• Guitar George
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 04:56:51 AM »
No album- no tour. Thats why MK tours with Bob this year in the US. Shame on Warners for passing on such a beautiful album (I think they simply didn,t want to release a double album, but are now mad at MK for selling it from his own website). Well, at least we get something. Our poor friends in South Amerca & Ausies have to enjoy bootlegs for last 7 years.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
I can't see why they wouldn't release a double album. I didn't pay more for that double album than I usually pay for normal ones. And I got the double amount of songs. What can be wrong with that?

OfflineAl

• Guitar George
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 03:37:14 AM »
I  believe when MK tried to release LOG as a double album, Ed said that's commercial suicide. I think (and i have no contact with WB so this is all a speculation) that they considered manufacturing of a double album too expensive & were afraid it wont sell well enough. In any case USA fans got screwd.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 04:19:41 AM »
Mark considered making STP a double also, and I believe Ed talked him out of it then, too.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 06:42:13 AM »
Good for Mark to come out with a double cd!

I balked at spending 24.99 for Privateering, the import...but I wanted to buy from this local guy because he's been in the business for a long, long time...does it for the love...who knows how long he'll be in business.

Still, I'd send MK the money directly if I could, at a higher cost than what I'm used to...like Guy's music.. And any of the other artists I buy currently from major labels. The merger went through--and I just don't want to sift through the pros and cons--the fact that 1/2 of the union artists/musicians are for--or against it. I feel I want to be done with the major labels.

Actually, while Iove the physical cds..maybe I'd be more happy with just downloading for my iPod. I don't know. So I'll treat with care this Privateering cd...

Geez...the irony...

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
An album that makes the top 10 all over Europe and is a number 1 album in several countries can hardly be a bad deal for Warner, can it? I don't get it, really. ???

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18:07 AM »
I don't want to totally veer off course here but to mention a few items in the news.

During 2008 election it was Biden and Obama in Rolling Stone, title: Brother's in Arms

Many articles titled....Dire Straights (yes, straights but I really think they want you to think Dire Straits as well)

Today..."Sultan of Swing"  regarding the 'swing states USA' and Obama as the Sultan...

I'd really like to be in some European country where MK is no. 1...you people are doing something right.

Offlinevanman

• Guitar George
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »

Actually, while Iove the physical cds..maybe I'd be more happy with just downloading for my iPod. I don't know. So I'll treat with care this Privateering cd...

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but "Nooooo!!!", I don't think I'll ever have that feeling of engagement with the music without being able to hold a physical copy, with artwork, in my hands. I guess I'm just a slow-adopter, cos I feel the same way about downloads versus CDs, now, as I remember feeling about vinyl over CDs when they first came out  :disbelief  but I'm sure I'll get over it . . . eventually  ;)
Bacon, egg and sausage, double chips and beans . . . . oh yeah!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »
The dispute is concerning the use of the word "potatos" in Today is Okay.
This 'potato' reference is clearly meant to be served with faggots - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)
Which is all very offensive to the north American market.

I would believe if it was happening in Canada...  8) (just kidding, fellow Canadians)
Love over gold, mind over matter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.