Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Art Work Privateering  (Read 21863 times)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
Re: Art Work Privateering
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
From MK' discography including DS NHB,
the worst : Golden heart and Shangri-La ex-aequo
the best : Brothers in arms (because it made MK's National legendary !)
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 11:13:05 PM »
http://www.afmk.net/discographie/images/SailingToPhiladelphia.jpg[img][

I am in no way an expert on album art and I like most of them with the exception of the Sailing to Philadelphia one that always sends a chill up my spine when I see it because it reminds me of the images we saw on television on September 11, 2001.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
+
1. STP - I think it's the perfect
2. GH - totally mirror of the content. Perfect # 2
3. SL - artwork is more better than content

-
1. KTGC - ugliest font, as well as content.
2. GL. Nothing special. A lot of red but it sounds "grey"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:48:17 PM by ustas »

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 01:47:25 AM »
As far as MK/DS covers are concerned..the National on the cover of BIA will always be my favorite. All-time cover artwork? My top nod would have to go to Fleetwood Mac's "Mystery to me"
and a close second to Jackson's "Late for the sky"
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
For me too, BIA and alCHEMY stand out from DS era. My favorite Mark's solo art cover is probably Ragpicker's Dream  because I am a big fan of Elliot Erwitt's photography. Many of his photos would make a great album covers - here are couple that I particularly like:

From other artists I always liked this Pink Floyd classic:

and this Supertramp classic:
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
Alchemy  and Golden Heart are two of the best for me.   GL cover is quite bad IMO.  Privateering is OK. 

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
BIA of course. But I've always liked OES and OTN as well. OES is a cooler version of MFN.  :)

Otherwise this is another personal fav

"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
To be honest, I think Mark (or Dire Straits, and their management) never had a lucky hand with the designers who did their art work. I don't even have much of a problem with the covers themselves. Okay, Golden Heart is super tacky, and my Communiqu
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:08:17 AM by Rail King »

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
Nobody loves the Making Movies cover??? Nobody??? :lol Personally I like the GH and Screenplaying covers most as they reflect the content quite well imo.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
Nobody loves the Making Movies cover??? Nobody??? :lol Personally I like the GH and Screenplaying covers most as they reflect the content quite well imo.

The MM cover was always a bold design for me.  As I said, I liked the first four DS albums best of all.  What's not to like about it?  I likened the blue circle at the side to the record itself, to the wheel of the rollerskate and to the big wheel of the fairground.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »
I was about to write that my absolute favourite is MM, but local hero got there first.It is plain like the Beatles white and it both visually and commercially works, since it sticks in your head. And the combination of colours!!!
I think that the cover is as much important as the music contained, as far as the commercial part. A fine or intriguing cover, will attract more customers, at least to listen to the music contained. It shows that the artists care for every detail of his work. On the other hand, sometimes the music is so good or the band so famous (The Beatles "white album" or any successful album that bares just a photo of the artist) that the cover is of little importance. Of course it is a double mystery that we can not solve since the extremely commercial albums tend to enter the public conscience even if their cover sucks. Dylan's covers have done the impossible, most of them have him on the cover, but they transcend the photo of the musician, into a photo of the times and events. We actually see a hero (that grows with us) that represents what we wanted him to be. This is not done only by the photographer/artist or the treatment of the photography, but also from the mythology weaved around Dylan as well as the type of songs contained and the cultural intensity of Dylan's music.  I believe that only 3-4 albums don't have Dylan on the cover.   But that stood for vinyl, and that is why I used to buy LPs for ridiculous prices, just for their covers! Take a look at those:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/monocle/look_closer__visual_tricks_and_hidden_images_in_album_covers

As far as MK's future albums, I really don't care much about the covers. I can't imagine something that is not made, how it would be. I guess the fixation with MK is bigger than the cover. I don't like GH, I find interesting the STP (I took such photos myself and was pretty surprised to see a similar one becoming the cover art of my fav musician)
TRPD is a great photo that suits the mood of the album perfectly, ATTR is nice, SL is OK but nothing more, and so is GL. I like KTGC but as in TRPD it is the art that works regardless of the album. Oh and BiA must be one of the worst ones but I secretly like maybe because it has entered the public conscience. Oh and Alchemy, is the one after MM for me.     
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »
Just wondering. Nobody mentioned Hypnosis, with or without the Floyd's. The only Floyd album mentioned is the Wall and momentary lapse! I adore Hypnosis works, and I believe that they still speak to the people of today, when on the other hand some of the other iconic covers will cease to be regarded as great, once this generation is gone. And the albums as well. For example some Beatles' albums were significant for their times but are unable to prove their power to people who haven't grew up with them, following the growing of Rock music.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
I like the early covers. There is something lovely about the simplicity of them.

And you really shouldn't complain. It could look like this:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/worst-album-covers/2

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
Speaking of soundtracks, I may be alone in this but I have the honour of having my football teams manager and former [iconic] player being on the cover of one of MK's albums!  Ally McCoist on A Shot At Glory.

Are you a Rangers fan? If yes... RESPECT!
So Long

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
Speaking of soundtracks, I may be alone in this but I have the honour of having my football teams manager and former [iconic] player being on the cover of one of MK's albums!  Ally McCoist on A Shot At Glory.

Are you a Rangers fan? If yes... RESPECT!

A season ticket holder since I was a wee boy! ;D

I always remember when Guy mentioned the players went to see Mark and the band when they were in Toronto in 2005.  Our goalkeeper at the time, Stefan Klos was a big fan.  Favourite song was BIA!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:42:12 PM by dmg »
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 38 queries.