Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Recording contract  (Read 11071 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: Mark Recording contract
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 02:42:34 AM »
Ok thanks .
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »
Another question.

I think it was on the 1992 French documentary "24 heures" ("24 hours") it was stated that the band (ie JI and MK) were financing the cost of recording of the OES album and give the finished product to Phonogram, that way they could keep control over it.

Since, through Mark speaking about his solo release, obviously he does not fully control the release (STP or the GL box). I assume that if Mercury put extra song on some release it can only be done  because Mark agreed to give them... So who owns the master recording tape, and especially those with unreleasqed stuff on it?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
I
So Long

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
I find it hard to believe that the record company would have wanted to leave out Summer of Love - was not Guy surprised at Mark's decision, rather? That song would fitted perfectly on the album and contributed some energy.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
What I heard from someone with contacts in Universal is that MK delivers the songs to the record company, with some guidelines about the track list and the order of the songs, and the final product is decided by the record company following (or not) that guidelines.

About STP, the old fans from the TR Mailing List will remember that was delayed various times because there were disagreements between MK, Ed, the record company etc etc etc about the selection of songs. The first problem was the two Emmylou songs. MK was so upset that mentioned that in many interviews and decided to do a cd wih her when possible.
So Long

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
The first problem was the two Emmylou songs. MK was so upset that mentioned that in many interviews and decided to do a cd wih her when possible.

If losing that fight gave birth to "All the Roadrunning", then is was well worth it!

Still, I'm VERY surprised that an artist of Mark's caliber shouldn't have the final say about the tracklist of his album. :o He probably could have it if he absolutely wanted to, but maybe not with a major record deal.

Also, I agree with what you say about "Summer of Love". Omitting that was probably Mark's decision - from a purely commercial point of view, it would have made total sense to include it.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.