Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Recording contract  (Read 11080 times)

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
Re: Mark Recording contract
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
I can't imagine that he would sign a contract with a company that would presume to tell him what to do or how to do it.

Warner Bros was the company that made MK drop One More Matinee and add Do America for the US version of STP.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
I can't imagine that he would sign a contract with a company that would presume to tell him what to do or how to do it.

Warner Bros was the company that made MK drop One More Matinee and add Do America for the US version of STP.

That was the only change they force him to do, and Warner released many more MK records after that...
So Long

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
The US was never MK's biggest market, even in DS days.

You guys must be on crack if you think that he would be better off following record company low lifes. He'd be wearing a headband and doing crappy DS knock offs.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »
Back to my question : how many albums under the current contract with Mercury?

;D
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »
Back to my question : how many albums under the current contract with Mercury?

;D

I bet that MK doesnt know  :lol :lol
So Long

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »
Maybe he has no contract with exact number of albums, but an agreement that they will release whatever he gives them.
Of course that has a cost. MK doesn't seem to agree with all these different and expensive editions, so it is not his decision. Secondly, his back catalog (which must be the one still bringing some big money)  is used and re-released at company's desire. Of course he had vetoed any extra songs added (and here is a big question about the extra songs in the Super deluxe editions: since you allow these "second" songs at current releases, why not have re-releases with extra songs, from the first 4 albums, that we all know from bootlegs or even official recordings like Twisting by the Pool EP that we still await?I used to understand and appreciate his stance, but after the GL box...)

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
Is it futile of me to ask how outtakes like No Wonder He's Confused and Secondary Waltz find the light of day, if no bootlegs of the DS sessions ever have ??
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
Is it futile of me to ask how outtakes like No Wonder He's Confused and Secondary Waltz find the light of day, if no bootlegs of the DS sessions ever have ??

Fletch I guess that it is just a matter of coincidence. The Early tapes bootleg has all the first album in the Demo version they've recorded plus some new songs like real girl. (The rest was from Arena documentary 2 years later and other BBC shows). But the Demos were given out to many people, so eventually one of them leaked.  But it seems as though MK had complete control of the studio tapes, and we never got to even listen to  outtakes. Maybe there aren't any, recorded ones. Maybe he was going down to the studio with the certain songs and did nothing but them. Or like BiA he didn't have all the songs but developed them off studio. The studio time was gold back then and only with proven geniuses they had the tape running all the time. Of course after the success of BiA there weren't many tapes around. Maybe it is not the way he was working. I believe that from the 4-14 takes he would chose the best one and dump all the others. I have read somewhere that when the tension with David lead to his lay off from the band, Mark erased every contribution of David's and re recorded them himself. And it was the difficult multi layered MM! He already had the drums and Bass tracks to work on so he recorded all the guitar parts. I guess there is no point in keeping failed guitar tracks.
But even if that is not the point (I know that there is a demo version of private dancer with MK playing and singing) and as you have so rightly mentioned with the GH sessions, it is only down to  luck. I guess now within his own studio, he can have greater control of all the recorded material, so nearly zero chance of anything leaking.  I have heard a story but I don't quite remember how the GH outtakes and tracks got out, anyone here remembers?
By the way, have you heard the David Gilmour/Pink Floyd  story, were some fans were looking through his garbage, only to find out the remains from the editors floor of unreleased-unused and considered bad live footage with sound, containing (I think ) whole songs? This is not happening now with digital technology and anyway it was a very lucky thing that happens very rarely. 
But to tell you the truth, I really can wait for his new work, without any leaks, I can also enjoy his work without looking for the elusive demos, but I would really appreciate and buy something like the Beatles Anthology, with demos, unreleased songs etc. It only took the Beatles 25 years after they officially disbanded, so we have to wait until 2020!

About the contract thing, his publishing company is called Will D. Side. If this is not a clue, I don't know what is.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
and the guy that found those sounboard tapes of the (floyd) ummagumma album is now asking 250k for them and also offered them to the Floyd management who told him to fuck off and threatened to sue him should they ever be released.
of course other tapes came out, remember the On ever street demo's?
would have loved to hear the BIA demo's though.
i know for one that i adore the officially released The wall demo's. it is brilliant to hear those oh so well known songs evolve...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
then there was the story of the divers under Gilmours' houseboat/recording studio trying to tap into the sound created on the boat during the momentary lapse of reason recordings :-)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
and the guy that found those sounboard tapes of the (floyd) ummagumma album is now asking 250k for them and also offered them to the Floyd management who told him to fuck off and threatened to sue him should they ever be released.
of course other tapes came out, remember the On ever street demo's?
would have loved to hear the BIA demo's though.
i know for one that i adore the officially released The wall demo's. it is brilliant to hear those oh so well known songs evolve...

On every street demos? Where, where?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:42 AM »
called

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »

From what I've heard there's good reason to believe that a fan (notorious in the 90's, and greedy like a pig about his bootleg collection) - directly or indirectly - paid off a studio technician to get the GH outtakes.

Anyone remember which major fansite ended up posting it first?  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
Thank you both Jeroen and Pottel. I have downloaded many great things from this site in the past, but obviously missed this one. Thank you, hopefully it will be downloaded and I will listen to it during the weekend.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 39 queries.