Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Closing topics  (Read 14610 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: Closing topics
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »
Haha, sorry, but some of the comments here make me laugh. If you don't "encourage" this kind of discussion, why don't you just look for another topic?

We encourage any discussion, we dont encourage to cross the line between public and private.

Obviously you can do what you want, and comment about it after, but you are gonna receive opinions of people who doesnt share that line crossing. It doesnt matter you got a nice answer from DK, the line was already crossed.
So Long

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
Thanks very much, Fletch, I really appreciate that. And I really don't want to pick a fight or anything, I was just hoping that someone here (or maybe David Knopfler himself) could tell me more about something I've been wondering about for years. If that bores some of you, sorry. I understand that. To me, the whole affair is  like a little shadow hanging over the otherwise wonderful Dire Straits story, and I'd like to see some light shed on it one day.

Love and happiness to everyone!
Rail King.

Love Expresso

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
Hey guys, I'm sorry for having caused such a stir here, but since it led to a discussion about the forum in general, it might eventually do some good.

Before we move on, let me just get three things right:

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
This forum is completely pointless if we censor anything that may be critical of MK. 

Agreed.
I was a long time member and contributor to the MKNEWS forum for many years,(under a different name)and you know what happened over there!
I have not joined any forums apart from this one recently-i,ve been a lurker for years though.
Don't let it get like that forum was/is .
No boundaries or lines have been crossed whatsoever.
If there were in the future, delete the post,not close or delete the thread.
The majority of people on here are intelligent enough to know when lines or boundaries are being crossed, for real

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
this will soon come to an end. close to a solution now. just waiting on some more feedback.
no worries folks. we are NOT MKnews.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »
Now I'm getting curious about what must have happened on MKNews ... - but don't fear, I won't ask, and I won' start a topic about it!  ;)

And regarding this one, again: No offense taken, and no offense meant!
Rail King

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
Agree with Pottel, here we have discussions, here we try to explain views.
We would never close or delete a thread as a sudden or without explaining and discussing. We would never delete a post either.

Although we have some rules it only happened once we had to ban someone and I believe that was also the only posts/threads we deleted. Not too bad after all those years  :)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
Hello

I don't think any line was crossed in the MK / DK thread given information being in the public domain already and I think the only line that has been crossed is that on the part of the "editors". The role of a moderator at least should be to be to help others develop and explore their ideas whilst also policing basic rules, but not to close off discussion because it isn't heading in the direction they would like it to.

This is not the first instance of this kind of intervention I have noticed here and I have a fear that anything critical on this board about MK is perceived by some to be inflammatory. I can understand that given the passion people have on here for his music. However, the fact is when no rules have been infringed to close off a topic to further discussion is simply wrong and is detrimental to the health of this forum.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Ps thanks to the moderators and those that run this board no disrespect intended

Offlineplayhurt4

• Guitar George
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
i have always been fascinated by the DK/MK story as well...  i am both a younger brother, and a huge DS / MK fan.  i did exchange emails with DK years ago, but never on this subject.  imo he easily seems like he could make such a pain in the arse of himself that you would want to cut ties with him.  on the other hand, at the very least, he was instrumental in putting something together that generated a good bit of dough and several careers, and received almost no credit for.  hard to see how MK doesn't throw him a bone here and there, but who hasn't gotten to the point in their life where there is just no way to repair a relationship. 

it's fascinating stuff and should be open for discussion - again, imo. 

enjoy this site very much.  i saw DS three times, and MK solo tours twice now.  pre-ordered privateering and looking forward to it.

Mark M

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
The thing I wanted to discuss were legal problems David seemed to have regarding the copyright of early Dire Straits songs. David Knopfler is free to discuss these matters whenever and with whomever he wants. I just wanted to know what happened to HIS copyrights, and nobody can bar him from discussing that.

Getting in late, as usual-- ::)     1.  I respect and agree with Ingrid's statement good taste--not in just this topic, but generally.    2.   One of the reasons that legal issues like this are not discussed publicly is that once the words are out, they can and will be used.   Just by stating opinions on legal conflicts publicly, one can be open to liability issues.    I have my own opinions about publicly airing one's dirty laundry, but on the other hand, who am i to judge.    I just think it's on the side of wisdom for someone with a legal gripe to not make it so public.   Either that, or go for it full force.     
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
Now I think it is time to move this very thread to the general discussion and rename it "freedom of speech or else..."  ;)
Everybody should be forced to speak freely.  :P
It has very little to do with MK.

I remember the last song from the Body Count's album with the Foxy Lady music on the background (or was it Purple Haze?).
It starts with a policeman reading someone his rights:" You've got the right to remain silent..."
and Ice-T replying:" F@%* that right, I want the right to speak"

After all this thread is doing nothing more but to point to the MK/DK thread, and many people have read it! It is an advertisement!
And still, I think that there was nothing wrong with the other thread. After all I have heard many stories about brothers that have fought and are separated. It is usually for the same old reasons:Greed, lust, jealousy. If you want the archetypal stories, read the Old and New Testament and for sort, the Ten Commandments.

I am the first to not delve into such "mysteries", perhaps because I am not that curious, or maybe because it has nothing to do with the music. But when I see posts that actually follow MK's every public move, I begin to wonder about the good taste of people and the time they have on their hands. If courtesy should be applied, there must be a universal standard, and that is not possible. And if you read the thread again (the advertising) I think there was a very sudden change of mood, when the discussion revealed nothing new, except a mild side from DK and a harsh (if it is real) from MK. And I read it again and clicked on the links after all this went bad!!! 

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »
I understand ingridswing view.

Email are considered private discussion and reporting it on a public forum is very sensitive.

I have been in the same situation a few years ago regarding the reason why Michaelangelo was dropped from RLRR release.

Regarding the present case I don't see anything really disturbing in what Rail King reported from Dave. But he should have had David approval to do it.

Well, we should learn from that and I would make a proposal : if we ever contact someone on a subject we should ask him if he accept that his answer can be made public or not.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
I understand ingridswing view.

Email are considered private discussion and reporting it on a public forum is very sensitive.

I have been in the same situation a few years ago regarding the reason why Michaelangelo was dropped from RLRR release.

Regarding the present case I don't see anything really disturbing in what Rail King reported from Dave. But he should have had David approval to do it.

Well, we should learn from that and I would make a proposal : if we ever contact someone on a subject we should ask him if he accept that his answer can be made public or not.

Really??!! Anyone famous who enters into an email conversation with a complete stranger about private stuff is either stupid or contrived.  I've said it once and I'll say it again who cares about this stuff. DK is a public figure and wanted to be, so lets all jump off our high horses. I felt much more uncomfortable with the discussion about Marks sister. She has never asked to be in the public domain and I respect her privacy more than MK or DK. That topic didnt seem to bother anyone here.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 03:13:46 AM »
Well it's nice everyone is able to articulate their points of view. The legal aspects Iris mentions are interesting.

I mean no disrespect to the moderators here, however the average MK fan is obviously better behaved than the average Internet forum person (in general). There's probably not much moderating needed!
Maybe an FAQ about aspects of MKs career would be nice? Questions regarding DK, sausages etc. could be gathered with info that's on the public record.

The DK topic will never vanish - even the Uncut interviewer was bold enough to touch on it with Mark.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.