Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Closing topics  (Read 14615 times)

OfflineSelexin

• Guitar George
Re: Closing topics
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 09:04:24 AM »
Can I suggest the mods look at the issue from the perspective of a new member who is a rabid MK/DS fan?

Hi there, I'm a new member. I must say, the first couple of days I was super excited about finding AMIT and putting in my 2 cents, but now I am a little concerned.

I'm not going to chime in on this discussion here, but I hope that we can come to a resolution that will see the forum return to an appreciation of a fantastically talented and humble human being.

Let's all go check our super deluxe edition pre-order details again to clear our mind!
"We're fools to make war,
On our brothers in arms"

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
I feel Ingrid's frustration.   What happened yesterday, was not about the MK/DS story, which is in the public domain and, of course, is open for discussion to old and new members alike and can be talked about 'til the cows come home, or until you're all bored to death with it!   

No, this was something different altogether.  It was not about freedom of speech, it was about a member getting information from one of the two people involved and then posting it on this forum.  That was all it was about and I am surprised most people didn't get the gist of it!

So what if one of the two people involved wants to talk publicly about it? As long as no libel or slander laws are broken then it's not a problem.

As far as I can see two people are uncomfortable with the direction the thread was taking. That in itself is not a reason to close the thread.

DK has always been more than happy to talk about the subject, Mark has not - so it is one-sided information and that's not fair if both involved are not happy to talk about it.  

Anyway, I haven't said anywhere that I wanted the thread closed,  by all means keep it open!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
I really hope that people finally get the point. For me discussion is fine, but the lines of respect and good taste were crossed.

That doesn't mean the thread should be closed. It's not a matter of laws: I think we will need at least 300.000 euro to pay all the lawyers who can find out which countries law this forum has to take care of. I don't want to talk about laws that are broken or not, I don't want to talk about freedom of speech (that's a right period!).

If one of the two involved wants to talk about it in public, let him. But don't ask whoever about private matters, that's my point.
I would react the same if someone by coincidence met a neighbour of MK in a pub, ask him about whatever is private and post it here.

Same lines as mentioned above would be crossed in my opinion. I really hope we are not Rudigers (sorry forummember Rudiger, but as far as I can read your are not a Rudiger, so I don't mean you, just to make sure I don't offend someone  :)).

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:25 AM »
Hey guys, I'm sorry for having caused such a stir here, but since it led to a discussion about the forum in general, it might eventually do some good.

Before we move on, let me just get three things right:

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
The lines were crossed by one person, as far as I understand, so I think we went too far about this, as it looked like everybody was going wrong when in fact it was an isolated episode by someone without the common sense to leave the discussion here...

My understanding is that talking about close the topic was wrong, we should had asked, all of us, to the person who e-mailed DK about our conversation not to do that as its invading their privacy and thats somethig we dont encourage. One thing is that they talk publicly, other very different is asking.

Anyone is free to do what he wants to do, but we dont encourage it.
So Long

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »
The lines were crossed by one person, as far as I understand, so I think we went too far about this, as it looked like everybody was going wrong when in fact it was an isolated episode by someone without the common sense to leave the discussion here...

My understanding is that talking about close the topic was wrong, we should had asked, all of us, to the person who e-mailed DK about our conversation not to do that as its invading their privacy and thats somethig we dont encourage. One thing is that they talk publicly, other very different is asking.

Anyone is free to do what he wants to do, but we dont encourage it.

Thanks JBaent, you get it  :D I hoped however, without pointing a finger, that people would get it from my first message and leave the topic alone.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
Eureka!    Thanks Jbaent.   Can we all be friends now?   :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
Eureka!    Thanks Jbaent.   Can we all be friends now?   :D

No way, we have to search for a new reason to fight!!!!

;D ;D ;D :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:21:02 AM by jbaent »
So Long

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
I know a good one: IF we have one ticket for M&G who will be the lucky one  :P
No chance we ever get a ticket other than from contest or whatever, and last time no M&G's were held  :'(

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
I know a good one: IF we have one ticket for M&G who will be the lucky one  :P
No chance we ever get a ticket other than from contest or whatever, and last time no M&G's were held  :'(

I have a very good one...

I ordered my box edition from amazon.de, if I get a code for presales for Germany, I
So Long

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
JBaent: not only the German fans, I would like to have that code too  :D   :D
I usually attend more gigs in Germany than in the Netherlands (because there are more in Germany, only 3 max 4 here so far) and Germany is really close to me: Oberhausen 1 3/4 hours, Cologne 2 hours, Strassbourg 3 hours, Frankfurt 4 hours and so on.

What can I do to obtain that code? Are you going to London? I can buy you some beers, a dinner  :P  :P

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
JBaent: not only the German fans, I would like to have that code too  :D   :D
I usually attend more gigs in Germany than in the Netherlands (because there are more in Germany, only 3 max 4 here so far) and Germany is really close to me: Oberhausen 1 3/4 hours, Cologne 2 hours, Strassbourg 3 hours, Frankfurt 4 hours and so on.

What can I do to obtain that code? Are you going to London? I can buy you some beers, a dinner  :P  :P

Mmmm, sound promising, I will keep that in mind  ;D

I have plans to go to London, I still dont know how and when, and that plans will be very different depending on the when...

If I attend a show during the week, I
So Long

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Hey guys, I'm sorry for having caused such a stir here, but since it led to a discussion about the forum in general, it might eventually do some good.

Before we move on, let me just get three things right:

Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
Haha, sorry, but some of the comments here make me laugh. If you don't "encourage" this kind of discussion, why don't you just look for another topic?

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
I get your point Fletch, and I beg apologies to Railking.

Everyone is entitled to ask any of the band members that have a public profile in social networks, e-mails etc etc available on the net, in the other other, you are on risk to get a bad answer or not getting any answer, but thats a risk that you accept when mail them.

The point is that none of us dared to mail DK asking about it because we dont want to dig in their private life, we stick to the information we already have from their interviews, web sites etc etc. Again, Railking is free to ask DK, as he did, and if lucky, getting a nice answer.

But we dont encourage to do that. Its of common sense not to disturb any of our "music heroes" with that kind of stuff. If they talk about it with journalist is because they want, buy being asked by fans is another stuff. Maybe you
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.