Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Closing topics  (Read 14619 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Closing topics
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
Who cares if the MK and DK situation is discussed here or not. I dont understand why some people get so upset and offended about such a trivial topic. Freedom of speach always offends someone, but its a price worth paying surely??? Or is this gonna morph into MK News.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, but there is a fine line between that and invasion of privacy.
Nobody here is priviledged enough to be able to invade MKs privacy. Plus I dont think their is anybody daft enough to cross a supposed line. We all deserve a bit more credit than that.

I agree with you.  Why would we want to?

Anyway, the subject of DK/MK has been done to death over the years - there are much more interesting things in life to get on with eg the new album, planning concerts, etc!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:12:59 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
Who cares if the MK and DK situation is discussed here or not. I dont understand why some people get so upset and offended about such a trivial topic. Freedom of speach always offends someone, but its a price worth paying surely??? Or is this gonna morph into MK News.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, but there is a fine line between that and invasion of privacy.
Nobody here is priviledged enough to be able to invade MKs privacy. Plus I dont think their is anybody daft enough to cross a supposed line. We all deserve a bit more credit than that.

I agree with you.  Why would we want to?

Yeah you would have to be a pretty nasty person to start revealing very personal stuff about MK.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
It's old hat.

Everytime DK is becoming important in a thread we are close to exactly this same situation. Of course we are allowed to discuss things like these, AMIT was founded because we weren't to do so at another place. But you should also acknowledge the fact that this is obviously leading to very uncomfortable feelings for many members. So it is not a rule as such, but when there are signs that a lot of people feel not ok with discussing stuff like this, then it is fine with me to close this thread.

About the dog:

Same situation: In that thread, there was not only talk about his dog, but about Mark's cousins, daughters, daughter's twitter accounts, friends and family.. I know at least one very active and well known and beloved long time member of AMIT that quit because of exactly that thread - so we should really keep that in mind. Not as a rule, but trying to be sensitive and react to feelings of other members...

Is it really that important to discuss the facts about Mark and David that have been discussed a bazillion times before? It will come up again next year, anyway...

So which song did Mark write about Sonny's drug problems?

LE

Should we be muted because we would say something that somebody else don't feel comfortable with?
We are all equal here. If I don't like a topic here I don't go on it or I express why I disagree but as long as we remain polite and courteous between us I see no point to leave.  Or lets just talk about the lengh of the songs on the next MK solo effort.

Yes we are talking about a normaly private subject but this is wildly public that Mark and David relationship does not get well. If David accept to talk about it I think that it can be discussed here. And Mark on his way had had many occasions to express his view on the matter if he'd wanted to. For me this is part of Dire Straits history. But do we have to make allegiance to Mark and only discuss matter that Mark agrees or not?

If very very sensible subject you could put the topic under moderation mode and make post visible only after mod validation.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
  Or lets just talk about the lengh of the songs on the next MK solo effort.

No offence taken, thank you very much!  ;)

LE

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »
And hasn't somebody mentioned Mark's dog (named Corey) recently? Should we delete that post?

The dog was mentioned by Mark's wife Kitty in an article in the Daily Mail recently and also in The Guardian in 2009, so why should that be deleted?   We even have a picture, courtesy of Kitty.

I just cannot understand why anyone would find it necessary to email DK about his relationship with Mark and even worse, that DK would discuss it willy-nilly with a complete stranger! It is so distasteful!   Let's not forget that Mark did not have a chance to reply in this exchange of emails - nor would he have done so if it had been sent to him, because, I'm sure he would say it is not any of our business!   

And this exactly Val crossed the line. I don't think we should encourage someone asking private things at David or anyone else involved. Some people keep asking Guy also questions about which they know they don't get an answer. It's distasteful, none of our business and we discuss things we don't know a thing about. Speculating is fine by me, but not about private matters.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »

You know it's not like this, we don't change posts nor remove them without telling why or first warning. This is just about someone asking David about it. As if David would ever tell the truth to those questions and if Mark would ever say a word about it (NO, he never did). So it's talking about something as if we know something about it.

By the way: if this was a David Knopfler forum I would think completely different, he is talking about it himself.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:14:50 PM by ingridswing »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 11:42:47 PM »
This forum is completely pointless if we censor anything that may be critical of MK. 
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
I am trying hard to find something to say that describes my surprise. Oh, I found it: The Athenian Democracy voted, and Socrates drunk the poison.
I could really not care less about the subject in question, but the handling of the matter was rather odd. Of course DK and MK have access to the internet and if they were a bit curious they could read the threads, but I think that the distinction between public and private is somehow blurred at such forums. Only interested people would enter to read, and I believe these things were public anyway from sources more reliable and loud than AMIT.
The matter of courtesy and respect for the life of anybody, is simply a personal matter that only stumbles at the law barrier. It is a matter of limits, and the only common for everybody and at the same time final limit is the law. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »
'Freedom of speech'. Everybody has that right, in the land where I live certainly and if you read the whole discussion MK/DK from word to word there isn't any kind of privacy intruding stuff. Reading with good concentration and analyzing what one really means is very important, and only THEN you can make a good conclusion. We talk about the words that they said theirselves so there is nothing wrong in fact. Everybody has their own opinion, and the line between what can be said and doesn't is for everybody different. I think we must not forget that there is a line for everybody and did we ever crossed that line? I don't think so. We always buy their albums, go to their gigs etc. No problem. If we were a bunch of rude paparazzi who are only intrested simply in sensational stories, it was a different story. So say what you want to say, think you want to think but keep in mind that line. We all know that one.

Lars
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:35 AM »
I don't think you all get me right: I am also living in the Netherlands. I am also a fighter for freedom of speech. That's not what I want to stop!!!

Someone tried to get information about MK's private life/private decisions/private feelings through his brother.
That's not crossing the line of freedom of speech ....

It's crossing the line of respect and it's crossing the line of good taste.

That's my point, not more, not less.

Maybe you get it, maybe not. That's the only thing that I am pissed about.
We are proud of this community. Friendly people, having good discussions, we disagree but respectful. We act like gentlemen/women, at least that's what we say about this forum. I am proud of that, but in this topic there were some of these good vibes gone.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:23 AM »
I don't think you all get me right: I am also living in the Netherlands. I am also a fighter for freedom of speech. That's not what I want to stop!!!

Someone tried to get information about MK's private life/private decisions/private feelings through his brother.
That's not crossing the line of freedom of speech ....

It's crossing the line of respect and it's crossing the line of good taste.

That's my point, not more, not less.

Maybe you get it, maybe not. That's the only thing that I am pissed about.
We are proud of this community. Friendly people, having good discussions, we disagree but respectful. We act like gentlemen/women, at least that's what we say about this forum. I am proud of that, but in this topic there were some of these good vibes gone.

If it's about one person, it doesn't have to be very hard does it? Talk to the one who did it.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
If you read my first post, I hoped everyone would see/feel what I meant. Unfortunately it's not the case, so I had to explain further.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:50 AM »
People seem overly sensitive about the DK leaving DS story.
It IS an interesting story, and if it cannot be discussed you may as well say Dire Straits shouldn't be discussed either. It's just part of the interesting history of the band.

It must be frustrating for new members who are keen to learn more about MKs career if this one topic is put off limits. Just because some older members are bored with it or feel there is no point in its discussion.

Can I suggest the mods look at the issue from the perspective of a new member who is a rabid MK/DS fan? Everything is on the public record, even mark gives a short answer in the UNCUT interview.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
I feel Ingrid's frustration.   What happened yesterday, was not about the MK/DS story, which is in the public domain and, of course, is open for discussion to old and new members alike and can be talked about 'til the cows come home, or until you're all bored to death with it!   

No, this was something different altogether.  It was not about freedom of speech, it was about a member getting information from one of the two people involved and then posting it on this forum.  That was all it was about and I am surprised most people didn't get the gist of it!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
I feel Ingrid's frustration.   What happened yesterday, was not about the MK/DS story, which is in the public domain and, of course, is open for discussion to old and new members alike and can be talked about 'til the cows come home, or until you're all bored to death with it!   

No, this was something different altogether.  It was not about freedom of speech, it was about a member getting information from one of the two people involved and then posting it on this forum.  That was all it was about and I am surprised most people didn't get the gist of it!

So what if one of the two people involved wants to talk publicly about it? As long as no libel or slander laws are broken then it's not a problem.

As far as I can see two people are uncomfortable with the direction the thread was taking. That in itself is not a reason to close the thread.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 41 queries.