Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Closing topics  (Read 14635 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Closing topics
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
Hi there - just one last comment about the Mark/David topic that has been "closed":

Of course it's up to the forum editors to decide what should be discussed here and what not. If you think a post should be deleted, go ahead. But let me add that I totally disagree. There's a big difference between discussing the private life of a "normal" person in public, or the life of a rock star. I wouldn't be allowed, for instance, to write a book about you, Ingrid, unless you'd agree. But I can write a book about Mark or David anytime, including facts from their private lives. Legally speaking, they are so called "public figures". They have to live with the fact that people talk about them, and they now that. If they weren't public figures, we would never have heard of that copyright row. And if Sonny Liston hadn't been a public figure, Mark wouldn't have been allowed to write a song about his drug problems. You see what I mean.

And of course the private lives of artists ARE highly interesting. Where would all the biographies come from otherwise (and I'm sure you've read some of them)? It's totally okay, no, it's only natural to be interested in an artist's life. Is it our business or none of our business? Well, with public figures, that distinction doesn't really make sense. And hasn't somebody mentioned Mark's dog (named Corey) recently? Should we delete that post?

Love Expresso

Re: Closing topics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
Mark did write a song about Sonny's drug problems?? Which one is it?

LE

diddywahdiddy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
Fully second that, R.K.

Love Expresso

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »
It's old hat.

Everytime DK is becoming important in a thread we are close to exactly this same situation. Of course we are allowed to discuss things like these, AMIT was founded because we weren't to do so at another place. But you should also acknowledge the fact that this is obviously leading to very uncomfortable feelings for many members. So it is not a rule as such, but when there are signs that a lot of people feel not ok with discussing stuff like this, then it is fine with me to close this thread.

About the dog:

Same situation: In that thread, there was not only talk about his dog, but about Mark's cousins, daughters, daughter's twitter accounts, friends and family.. I know at least one very active and well known and beloved long time member of AMIT that quit because of exactly that thread - so we should really keep that in mind. Not as a rule, but trying to be sensitive and react to feelings of other members...

Is it really that important to discuss the facts about Mark and David that have been discussed a bazillion times before? It will come up again next year, anyway...

So which song did Mark write about Sonny's drug problems?

LE

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Which was the drug song? "All that Matters", of course! Or was it "Old Pigweed?" :lol

These days, however, the drugs are off the table. Today is okay!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
And hasn't somebody mentioned Mark's dog (named Corey) recently? Should we delete that post?

The dog was mentioned by Mark's wife Kitty in an article in the Daily Mail recently and also in The Guardian in 2009, so why should that be deleted?   We even have a picture, courtesy of Kitty.

I just cannot understand why anyone would find it necessary to email DK about his relationship with Mark and even worse, that DK would discuss it willy-nilly with a complete stranger! It is so distasteful!   Let's not forget that Mark did not have a chance to reply in this exchange of emails - nor would he have done so if it had been sent to him, because, I'm sure he would say it is not any of our business!  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:52:25 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:40:49 PM »
It's old hat.

Everytime DK is becoming important in a thread we are close to exactly this same situation. Of course we are allowed to discuss things like these, AMIT was founded because we weren't to do so at another place. But you should also acknowledge the fact that this is obviously leading to very uncomfortable feelings for many members. So it is not a rule as such, but when there are signs that a lot of people feel not ok with discussing stuff like this, then it is fine with me to close this thread.

About the dog:

Same situation: In that thread, there was not only talk about his dog, but about Mark's cousins, daughters, daughter's twitter accounts, friends and family.. I know at least one very active and well known and beloved long time member of AMIT that quit because of exactly that thread - so we should really keep that in mind. Not as a rule, but trying to be sensitive and react to feelings of other members...

Is it really that important to discuss the facts about Mark and David that have been discussed a bazillion times before? It will come up again next year, anyway...

So which song did Mark write about Sonny's drug problems?

LE

Very good points LE. I, for one, am regretful of and apologize for any inappropriate comments I made in regard to David. Let's move on.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:37 PM »
Who cares if the MK and DK situation is discussed here or not. I dont understand why some people get so upset and offended about such a trivial topic. Freedom of speach always offends someone, but its a price worth paying surely??? Or is this gonna morph into MK News.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »

About the dog:

LE

Sorry, but if for that thread someone left, looks dumb and childy to me...

Everyone of that people mentioned has a public profile in social networks, they don't hide and they expose themselves to the whole world. They talk freely about their lives, put pics online etc... We only talked about them because they exposed themselves...

Sure some bad jokes or inappropriate comments were made, we are all naughty people sometimes, but leave the forum just because of that is nahive, dumb and childy, in my humble and probably wrong opinion...

:)
So Long

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »

About the dog:

LE

Sorry, but if for that thread someone left, looks dumb and childy to me...

Everyone of that people mentioned has a public profile in social networks, they don't hide and they expose themselves to the whole world. They talk freely about their lives, put pics online etc... We only talked about them because they exposed themselves...

Sure some bad jokes or inappropriate comments were made, we are all naughty people sometimes, but leave the forum just because of that is nahive, dumb and childy, in my humble and probably wrong opinion...

:)

That does seem a little odd, I'd only leave if someone personally attacked me by saying something like my Wife had a face like a bag of chisels etc etc. You can tell she doesnt read this.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »
Who cares if the MK and DK situation is discussed here or not. I dont understand why some people get so upset and offended about such a trivial topic. Freedom of speach always offends someone, but its a price worth paying surely??? Or is this gonna morph into MK News.

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, but there is a fine line between that and invasion of privacy.
Goin' into Tow Law....

diddywahdiddy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

I'm all in favour of freedom of speech, but there is a fine line between that and invasion of privacy.

If that privacy is being exposed by themselves in internet or the press there is no invasion, just comments...

Its not the same that digging their dirt to find information, they give us the info.

My point of view.
So Long

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
i too see no problem whatsoever in given thread. there are no names, addresses, emailaddresses, telephone numbers, bank account numbers etc. mentioned, our main goal was to be as little restrictive as possible whilst at the same time (amongs other things) not "invade" the band's (and extensions) privacy.
now we can discuss about the true natured of the word "invade", but i just don't see it here.
now retiring to the bat cave to discuss with my fellow masters of war.
 :lol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »

Nobody here is priviledged enough to be able to invade MKs privacy. Plus I dont think their is anybody daft enough to cross a supposed line. We all deserve a bit more credit than that.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 47 queries.