Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering Deluxe editions?  (Read 298902 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: Privateering Deluxe editions?
« Reply #855 on: September 05, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
Originally my idea was to wait for my order from Amazon Italy for the box, and from play.com for the 3cd version, but yesterday I decided to cancel the 3cd and I went to the Fnac in Valencia to buy it in person even it was 5 euros more...

When I arrived to the Fnac, they were selling just the standard and the box (at 75 euros, 15 euros more than my amazon Italy order) so I came back home with empty hands and ordered again the 3cd version from play.com...

Must be first time that the new MK release is out and I still dont have it but hey, I cant waste money, so if I can have it cheaper, I will.
So Long

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #856 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
I'll just stand by Amazon Italy for at least one more month to save some money. Otherwise I would cancel the order and try it somewhere else.
But they are being very mean to fans, yes they are.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #857 on: September 05, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »
MK.com now have a note on the deluxe edition & box set: Please allow  6-8 weeks for delivery  :o
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #858 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
No idea on Dylan vgonis, where is Twm when you need him?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #859 on: September 06, 2012, 12:58:19 AM »
I'm here but very busy with some family matters.

If you're  referring to the BOOTLEG SERIES issues, Dylan's people are closely involved. Sometimes they conceive the project, research it, decide the content and so on, handing it over to Sony Legacy to master etc . That's my understanding. For example, the decision to "construct" a Rolling Thunder concert for BOOTLEG SERIES VOL.5 was made by Dylan's people, not by the record comapny. I have no doubt that there was a certain amount of discussion about this and other releases in the series but it was, in effect, a "Dylan" decision, not a Sony decision. I don't know just how much Dylan is involved. I'm sure he has to OK such a release but the official line seems to be that he doesn't pay very much attention to such things. My guess is that he does - but maybe less than Neil Young does to his archive releases - as I can't imagine he allows anything this major to be released in his name without a say-so.

That said, Sony seem to be able to undertake re-relelases and compilations of already released material without direct involvement from Dylan's people. For example, the 3-CD "DYLAN" release of a few years ago (the one in the red box set, thought there were jewel case versions) was entirely the responsibility of Sony UK, who conceived it, put it together and marketed it. Of course, there was involvement from Dylan's office (as in the agrrement for the re-working of one old track by Mark Ronson for a video in support of the release) but rumour had it that they had to delay a project they had in mind because of it.  There was scepticism that the "DYLAN" box set would do well but, in point of fact, it sold surprisingly well, such that Sony tried something similar with a later Dylan relelase, with a hefty price tag for the De Luxe version. There was an outcry from Dylan fans, at which point the unofficial word from Dylan's office was that pricing was a record comapny matter and that it would not be permitted to happen again. A[ll second-hand reports from people who know people etc.]

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #860 on: September 06, 2012, 06:28:39 AM »
Thank you twm. I guess a creative man such as Dylan, even though he recognizes the value of his past work, he considers it as such and let others that he trust do the work.
I know what you mean and thank you for answering to a question I haven't even posed about the Dylan compilation, in the red box.
I was reading a book by Andre Schiffrin-"L' edition sans editeurs"  and he was explaining there, how small publishing houses were taken over by big ones and then bought by billionaires. Their only concern was how to make more money, even if that meant leaving all the books that were no best sellers, usually the ones with qualities.  And prices had to go up as well. And then they closed or re sold the small publishing houses.  I have seen the same story in smaller scale in Greece, before the crisis.
I don't like it, and I think that artists that are big as a company (like Dylan, Young and why not Knopfler) should be allowed to have control, not only of the released material, but also about the way it is released, the format, the price, the promotion and the time frame.
I just hope that this is the last time such thing happens for Knopfler and I will be waiting for a similar announcement (even unofficial but I would prefer official) about the peculiar multi editions and  pricing (especially with the multi format editions that force the fan to buy everything in order to obtain all recorded material) and the weird shipping strategy. I mean amazon.de customers got their copies the day of release (or a day after and got a partial refund), while the rest of us that ordered from MK.com, the OFFICIAL site,  will get it a month and a half later(!), and I want to see what they will do for compensation.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #861 on: September 07, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »
I was away visiting family today and, when I got back, my "De luxe" copy of TEMPEST was awaiting me. It's nothing much really. You get the standard jewell case version of the album, in a card slip case that also contains a small notebook with, on some pages, magazine covers, from across the years, that happen to have Dylan on the cover. While I find these quite attractive, the average record buyer would find this a pretty poor "extra" in my view.  While it is much, much cheaper than the de luxe PRIVATEERING, the "de luxe" TEMPEST is also a lot, lot smaller and a lot less attractive . In fact, the record comapny has a cheek calling it "de luxe" at all. It is a marginally enhanced version of the regular album.

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #862 on: September 09, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Did anyone received their 3cd version from bol.com?

I
So Long

Love Expresso

« Reply #863 on: September 09, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
You are not REALLY expecting that, do you?  ;D ;D

LE

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #864 on: September 09, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
Did anyone received their 3cd version from bol.com?

I

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #865 on: September 09, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
You are not REALLY expecting that, do you?  ;D ;D

LE

From this proffesional bunch of proffesionals, I can expect anything...

;D ;D ;D
So Long

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #866 on: September 09, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »
So Long

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #867 on: September 09, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
It is probably a case of hearsay, misinformation, or bad employee trying to get rid of "annoying customer", by saying yes to everything. If it is in writing it is more solid, but still only if it comes from Universal or mk.com.  I really believe that it is not just this thing or the other, because if you deal with them separately they are rather minor and easy find a truthful convincing excuse. It is all of them put together, with the worse of them being that I still don't have even a simple copy.    ;D
It reminds me of an episode from Fry and Laurie, where a politician gives a speech/press conference, stating in a very serious tone that the youth of today should be disciplined and have a better education, because they should learn that it is not a good thing ... breaking his car window!!!  ;D
Only three seasons from this duo, but what a show!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #868 on: September 10, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
My Deluxe Edition arrived today, exactly one week after release.  Thank-you very much HMV!

Anyway, after listening to the bonus tracks has anyone else noticed that Mark mixes up the lyrics on that version of CBC?  It's during the last verse.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #869 on: September 10, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »
 :D No, not really... thanks for telling us!!

However, he is allowed to do so, because it was just rehearsal, wasn't it??  :lol :lol

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.