Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering Deluxe editions?  (Read 298867 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Privateering Deluxe editions?
« Reply #750 on: August 30, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »
Amazon delivered the Super Deluxe Box today.
The download is the Madrid Show from the GL Tour.
Artwork is a numbered print of the CD cover.
Will now listen to the most anticipated album!

So of  course everyone is curious about the three bonus songs. Can you tell us something about them?

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #751 on: August 30, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
I remember Guy said at the time that was one of, if not the best show of the tour so far.  Not my opinion but I suppose he should know best.  I don't think there were any best shows on that tour actually!
Acually the tour was superb, all the concerts I have are worth it. Paris especially, but I'm biased :)
My anger is not towards the Madrid show, I'm sure it is fine, but releasing it in a so-called Super Deluxe box while this has been done long ago by Simfy, whereas so many better things could have been done (like a Montreux DVD) makes me angry.

Totally agree with you about the DVD thing. 

Also, I agree that the earlier concerts may not have been as good musically but were far, far more inspired in comparison to the later ones such as Madrid where they seemed to be going through the motions of playing exactly the same thing day-in, day-out.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

surferboy

« Reply #752 on: August 30, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »
Very short impression of the 3 bonus tracks:
I belong to those who love and treasure every song of Mark, even Time in the Sun.
Most will say, that these are clearly B-Sides.
No rockers, all are gently slow to mid tempo, comparable to the Perfect Song style and mood.
Occupation Blues: Nice midtempo gently flowing track, cannot remember MK having done anything similar in the past.
River of Grog: Just MK and acoustic guitar. The slowest of the three. The interesting thing about it: At a point in the song MK whistling as much as never before on a song.
Follow the Ribbon: Again a slow song but with electric guitar, pedal steel country character, the outro has Mark's guitar, but not dominant just adding touches to a gently flowing melody.
Cannot name songs to compare the three with like I can with many on Privateering.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #753 on: August 30, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
Very short impression of the 3 bonus tracks:
I belong to those who love and treasure every song of Mark, even Time in the Sun.
Most will say, that these are clearly B-Sides.
No rockers, all are gently slow to mid tempo, comparable to the Perfect Song style and mood.
Occupation Blues: Nice midtempo gently flowing track, cannot remember MK having done anything similar in the past.
River of Grog: Just MK and acoustic guitar. The slowest of the three. The interesting thing about it: At a point in the song MK whistling as much as never before on a song.
Follow the Ribbon: Again a slow song but with electric guitar, pedal steel country character, the outro has Mark's guitar, but not dominant just adding touches to a gently flowing melody.
Cannot name songs to compare the three with like I can with many on Privateering.

Thanks for your comments!
Interesting, mainly MK whistling!
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

surferboy

« Reply #754 on: August 30, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
El Macho, you are welcome!
Many of you will be able to characterize the bonus tracks more accurately, but I wanted to give you a first impression as soon as possible.
I hope many of you will receive the CD or box sets today, too and enjoy it.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #755 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Fantastic!

For once the rockers are on the album and not off  ;D

Leave out the soothing songs!

A+ in my book!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #756 on: August 30, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »
Fantastic!

A+ in my book!
I managed to listen to the whole album....
Where are the rockers ? :)
No that I don't like it, don't get me wrong, but I can't find the equivalent of what I loved in Get Lucky: a new Sultans (Border Reiver) and a new Brothers (Piper to the end), both  being the ones Mark chose to play live for the GL tour, great !
Here... well let's say I love Redbud Tree, Yon Two Crows, Kingdom of Gold and that the others are nice, but I had no "relevation" like the two mentioned above....

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #757 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
Fantastic!

A+ in my book!
No that I don't like it, don't get me wrong, but I can't find the equivalent of what I loved in Get Lucky: a new Sultans (Border Reiver) and a new Brothers (Piper to the end), both  being the ones Mark chose to play live for the GL tour, great !
Here... well let's say I love Redbud Tree, Yon Two Crows, Kingdom of Gold and that the others are nice, but I had no "relevation" like the two mentioned above....

above all where are the solos ?

I only found 1, Dream of the Drowned Submariner

Redbud Tree.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #758 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
Fantastic!

A+ in my book!

Redbud Tree.

right yes, 2 :)
I used to could and Gator Blood. Great songs.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #759 on: August 30, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
Fantastic!

A+ in my book!

Redbud Tree.

Go, Love, Blood and Water...
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #760 on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Fantastic!

A+ in my book!

Redbud Tree.

Go, Love, Blood and Water...

Today is okay ! Absolute killer song for me !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #761 on: August 30, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

It's not the I don't like the blues ones, but they don't tell me much at all,
seem like copied exactly from a Clapton album, with Mark voice instead of Eric.

Very rare guitar on the whole album.

My fav is: Yon Two Crows
Good Melodies: Seattle, Dream of the Drowned Submariner, Kingdom of Gold, Privateering

This is basically like a 'classic' MK album + really several blues (too many) to reach 20 songs.
EC don't do this kind a blues songs. He is more into Robert Johnson, Albert King, BB King... More guitar and vocal less harmonica. Kinda delta blues. He hasn't got like a gator blood or something like that. But i can understand your feeling and partly agree with you. MK isn't a blues man

Offlinedennisbrouwer

• Guitar George
« Reply #762 on: August 30, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
Just received an email from Bol.com. They confirmed (again) that disc 3 of the Deluxe edition contains 7 tracks. We will see tomorrow morning when it arrives.  ???

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #763 on: August 30, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »

It's not the I don't the blues ones, but they don't tell me much at all,

Good Melodies: Seattle, Dream of the Drowned Submariner, Kingdom of Gold, Privateering

This is basically like a 'classic' MK album + really several blues (too many) to reach 20 songs.

I love the blues and always expected Mark to record a blues album - he even said he could do that one day himself. There's not much you can do to refresh the blues though, it's always gonna sound like Clapton, Buddy Guy or BB King. I love the fact he's finally given it a go.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #764 on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »

It's not the I don't the blues ones, but they don't tell me much at all,

I love the blues and always expected Mark to record a blues album - he even said he could do that one day himself. There's not much you can do to refresh the blues though, it's always gonna sound like Clapton, Buddy Guy or BB King. I love the fact he's finally given it a go.

that's exactly why I don't like them in this album.
If I want to listen to some blues, I listen a Clapton album who is the top for that.

I'd have preferred the classic MK album with 9-12 songs and more work on them (more guitar).

You can always burn your own cd, with the songs you like best and stuff, Pensaboy. Mark's recorded 3 country albums so far and there are also many guys such as Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Chet Atkins himself who are in theory more qualified to do that. Mark's experimenting which is great since he always come up with something nice, no matter what style he chooses to approach. That's my humble opinion...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 45 queries.