Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering Deluxe editions?  (Read 298848 times)

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
Re: Privateering Deluxe editions?
« Reply #705 on: August 26, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
but do not forgot:

pink floyd is NOT releasing every 2 years a new album, is not touring every 2 years, the release NOTHING new ... i think the fans of MK can be just satisfied with what  they get since over 30 years ;-) i think he is the most hard working artist out there - or did you forget that he played a complete tour with pain on his back, when others would say, bye bye, i retire awhile ...

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #706 on: August 26, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
you should read exactly what i say

i think MK and his management has enough work to release new songs and tours than to produce deluxe editions ...

and in times when pink floyd was on tour, i never saw deluxe editions, this all has time when MK will retire complete in my opinion

a double album with a tour is not so bad, isn
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:05:52 PM by another brother »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #707 on: August 26, 2012, 02:14:23 PM »

i think MK and his management has enough work to release new songs and tours than to produce deluxe editions ...

and in times when pink floyd was on tour, i never saw deluxe editions, this all is time when MK will retire complete in my opinion

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:16:45 PM by herlock »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #708 on: August 26, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »

and in times when pink floyd was on tour, i never saw deluxe editions, this all is time when MK will retire complete in my opinion

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #709 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »

Love Expresso

« Reply #710 on: August 26, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
Please give me pm when you decide to get on-topic again...  ;D

LE

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #711 on: August 26, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
sorry, once again - i prefer the concentration on new songs and tours, and i think MK and management does too.

it

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #712 on: August 26, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
sorry, once again - i prefer the concentration on new songs and tours, and i think MK and management does too.

it
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #713 on: August 26, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
This deluxe editions thing is relatively new. It counts 10 years or so. Before that if there was something out there, it was made for the die hard fans, it had substance and not air in the size of big boxes and it was not that expensive. And that were the real collectibles. They didn't mention Super, Deluxe and special like the menus of fast food restaurants. It is a real shame, lost opportunities this editions.

But maybe this new MK album can have a 1977 Pink Floyd concert. That, now, I would certainly vote for! ;D

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #714 on: August 26, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »
This deluxe editions thing is relatively new. It counts 10 years or so. Before that if there was something out there, it was made for the die hard fans, it had substance and not air in the size of big boxes and it was not that expensive. And that were the real collectibles. They didn't mention Super, Deluxe and special like the menus of fast food restaurants. It is a real shame, lost opportunities this editions.

But maybe this new MK album can have a 1977 Pink Floyd concert. That, now, I would certainly vote for! ;D

100% agree with what you say about delux buxes. Shameful business.
Re a 1977 Pink Floyd concert in a MK album.... the probabibilty is 0 :) I like both but I don't see why there should be a link in products... it is already so difficult to get MK live material with a MK album !
But yes, a 1977 live from PF is the holy grail - just like a 1985 live from DS...

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #715 on: August 26, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
Herlock, now that EMI is sold to Universal (and Sony!) everything is possible. I guess it is only a matter of time to have just one music company (not including the small indie ones) and they will do anything at all to achieve sales and make the numbers come true. Even this mixed artists stunt. I have seen it in cheaper editions - Paul Young and Paul Simon together. The common, obviously been the first name.
But Gilmour has released at least 3 live recordings both in DVD, CD, vinyl, deluxe and had time for the past releases. And we have the live Wall recording too. And a zillion of bootlegs. I can't wish for all these to be officially released. I won't have time to listen to them , let alone money to buy them. Same goes for DS/MK. Alchemy was a rip off too. Nothing new, picture just a bit better. On the night was really cut to just enough to fit on a single CD (plus Encores) and the On the BBC was just thrown quickly to end the contract.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #716 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
Herlock, now that EMI is sold to Universal (and Sony!) everything is possible. I guess it is only a matter of time to have just one music company (not including the small indie ones) and they will do anything at all to achieve sales and make the numbers come true. Even this mixed artists stunt. I have seen it in cheaper editions - Paul Young and Paul Simon together. The common, obviously been the first name.
But Gilmour has released at least 3 live recordings both in DVD, CD, vinyl, deluxe and had time for the past releases. And we have the live Wall recording too. And a zillion of bootlegs. I can't wish for all these to be officially released. I won't have time to listen to them , let alone money to buy them. Same goes for DS/MK. Alchemy was a rip off too. Nothing new, picture just a bit better. On the night was really cut to just enough to fit on a single CD (plus Encores) and the On the BBC was just thrown quickly to end the contract.
May I respectfully disagree that "Alchemy was a rip-off". The sound was restored to pristine quality by Chuck Ainlay and this is worth the relase alone. The picture is what it is, but you can't do miracles with a 16mm image in the dark that was of low quality even in 1983; and the bonuses were very valuable: the wonderful BBC arena documentary with nice live tracks (DTTW and WDYTYRG especially); the 1978 Sos and the terrific 1980 TOL in superb quality. I really loved it !
OTN is another story, can't think of why they did not put SOS/TOL/TR/TWL in it; certainly the Alchemy versions are fantastic, but the OTN versions brought another perspective to them. I would have been glad to have both versions...
As for live at the BBC, well, yes, it was just trown to end the contract. It is quite nice though. Too bad they did not choose Rockpalast instead (better sound and more songs from Communiqu

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #717 on: August 26, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
So, the content of the box:

Standard 2cd: CRAP, having the chance to include the 3cd version, put the standard is rest value to it

2 Vinyls: CRAP (for me), I dont have turntable, and I consider that its something that if you want th vinyls its because you have one, so you will buy that version, totally without any value for me

Bonus cd with 3 extra songs: well, at least something with any real value

DVD: Almost CRAP, "A life in songs" documentary its fine, but as its been broadcasted by the BBC so often, and almost everyone with internet connection had downloaded and watched it, just a minimum value because they are offering it officially

Artprint: I dont know what it is, but looks like an something aditional, that if its there, ok, if not, who cares?

Code to download a concert: CRAP, they have everything recorded from 2005 to 2011, and they decided to put a concert that has been offered paying and that the fans that will buy the box, probably already have...

I
So Long

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #718 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:17 PM »
OK Herlock, I can give you half of Alchemy point. But you have to remember that the big bucks we've paid were not for "sound only". It was mainly for the picture. Why issue something in Blu-RAY that would enhance the already problematic picture. (which by the way I loved in VHS). And about the sound, I have bought it in cassette, then vinyl, then CD then remastered CD and lastly I had to pay the extra money for the DVD-CD compo. And yesterday I found the best version of all, a Quiex II vinyl pressing!
Yes I know the argument is weak, and can't be demolished with a simple:"then, don't buy" but since you are a fan too, you can understand my problem.

And I even have a better one: The thing that made the Alchemy so much better had little to do with the source, and more to do with the age. Less to do with desire to have and listen from a better source and more to do with the music itself.

jbaent, don't forget the extra 3 songs that only the elite will be having. Or not?  ;D I guess that it is only a monumental box-way to prove to others how big a fan you are. And then we all go out and buy it, no matter what, because if we don't and it runs out we will be more sorry. The company managers have placed a bet, which one will go first and which one will outlast the others: hope, patience or money? Guess which one is the winner... What we wish and what we get. (there is a nice saying that comes to my mind "put wishes on one hand and shit on the other and see which pile up faster)
That said, really, isn't there a way to pass all these sentiments to the management or MK himself?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:30:46 PM by vgonis »

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #719 on: August 26, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »
MK himself told in an interview to all this deluxes etc etc are crap...

He says it has nothing to do with him, but with the record company.
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 41 queries.