Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A language issue?  (Read 7984 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: A language issue?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:51 AM »
There is a word in English for a misheard lyric. That word is "mondegreen"":

mondegreen
noun
(Literary & Literary Critical Terms)
a word or phrase that is misinterpreted as another word or phrase, usually with an amusing result
[from the Scottish ballad `The Bonny Earl of Murray', in which the line laid him on the green can be misheard as Lady Mondegreen]

Don't worry if you've never heard of the word, as it is fairly obscure. I've only come across it because there are so many mondegreens pertaining to Dylan lyrics that there have been extensive discussions on the subject. In "Tangled Up In Blue", for example, Dylan sings "(we) split up on a dark sad night, both agreeing it was best" but many first heard this as "(we) split on the docks at night, both agreeing it was best". There are many others.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:48:41 AM by twm »

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 07:56:57 AM »
What I really meant in the first place it was something like it doesnt matter if you dont understand a word of Telegraph Road or Sultans of swing, that songs were musically so great that even you know whats the story about, you
So Long

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »
Damn! I DID think it was "docks that night!"

Tell Dylan to enunciate better please.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
Yes jbaent you are absolutely right especially about "Song For Sonny Liston": Although I looved it from the very first moment I heard it  because of the
really awesome (and underrated) drumming and the unusual sound of an unusual MK guitar, there are really many many long lyric lines... and no guitar
solo on the album as you already pointed out... But the sound of the rhythm in this song reminds me so much of training work or footwork in the boxing ring AND even the bell is there, so really great. It has to be monotonously btw because of this. But it makes the listener very curious to hear so long paragraphs I think and he HAS to look for the lyrics to make out what the song is about.

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
In order not to confuse things too much, perhaps it might be sensible to start a "Mark's Mondegreens" thread, so "amit-ers" can post their various misheard lyrics.

Any takers? It's just an idea.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
In order not to confuse things too much, perhaps it might be sensible to start a "Mark's Mondegreens" thread, so "amit-ers" can post their various misheard lyrics.

Any takers? It's just an idea.

Excellent idea, I know over the years Ive heard many things incorrectly, its just a case of remembering them.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
typical example is Jimi in " excuse me while i kiss the sky" or is it really "xcuse me, while i kiss this guy"??
i never knew.. and yes, Knopflers' mondegreens deserve their own thread...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »
Yes jbaent you are absolutely right especially about "Song For Sonny Liston": Although I looved it from the very first moment I heard it  because of the
really awesome (and underrated) drumming and the unusual sound of an unusual MK guitar, there are really many many long lyric lines... and no guitar
solo on the album as you already pointed out... But the sound of the rhythm in this song reminds me so much of training work or footwork in the boxing ring AND even the bell is there, so really great. It has to be monotonously btw because of this. But it makes the listener very curious to hear so long paragraphs I think and he HAS to look for the lyrics to make out what the song is about.

LE

About Sonny Liston and the drums, that drums groove is one of the reason I love that song. That groove is amazing, specially live as Danny first and Ian after added a lot of great variations. Drum grooves are made of several patters and in that patterns the hihat and the bass drum usually have a very specifical place, well, in Sonny Liston the hihat is placed in a difficult way if you dont play drums very often. In other words, its common that in most of the drum patterns the hihat and the snare drum are played at the same time, not in this song. With practice you learn how to play that but, then you have a break and when you come back to the groove... You have to control that the hihat and the snare goes separately in this pattern!!!

Both Danny and Ian played it very well and spectacular, from the point of view of a (very very very) amateur drummer...

Hey, maybe there is a "I play an instrument" issue as well when yuo like or not a song  ;D
So Long

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »
Yeah, agreed totally, BUT I have to say that I like Chad Cromwell's drumming on this song the most BY FAR. Danny gave it a new dimension live on stage, for example the first time I really liked it was the Lyon 2005 version, much more powerful compared to other 2005 live versions.
But this drumming on the album is so perfectly well. Love it.

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
As a no native English speaker I stronlgy enjoy Mark Knopfler's song for their musicality.
I don't care that much about their meaning. Just that if it sounds good enough to my ears that's okay with me.

But I must admit that Going Home/Wild Theme does feature some of his very best lyrics.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 10:54:05 PM »
But I must admit that Going Home/Wild Theme does feature some of his very best lyrics.
;D
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »
As a no native English speaker I stronlgy enjoy Mark Knopfler's song for their musicality.
I don't care that much about their meaning. Just that if it sounds good enough to my ears that's okay with me.

I think this is a good point because I gained my interest in DS when I was only 9 and it was the guitar riff in MFN that first caught my attention.  Then when I listened to other songs I discovered I liked his voice and overall musicality of the songs, but at that age I didn't bother to think about the lyrics that much.  I think this shows that the lyrics are only a part of the jigsaw.  

This has now made me wonder if he now spends too much emphasis on lyrics and too little on the other aspects.  He should, IMO play to his strengths and he is capable of composing great music and is a genius on the guitar so why not have more musical passages?  Oh, and if I can be a little greedy - fewer songs converted from books!
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »

I think this is a good point because I gained my interest in DS when I was only 9 and it was thme guitar riff in MFN that first caught my attention.  Then when I listened to other songs I discovered I liked his voice and overall musicality of the songs, but at that age I didn't bother to think about the lyrics that much.  I think this shows that the lyrics are only a part of the jigsaw.  

This has now made me wonder if he now spends too much emphasis on lyrics and too little on the other aspects.  He should, IMO play to his strengths and he is capable of composing great music and is a genius on the guitar so why not have more musical passages?  Oh, and if I can be a little greedy - fewer songs converted from books!

Guy Fletcher always goes on about guitarists in a bad way. He also recalled an argument he had with Mk during the DS days when MK said DS were a guitar band and he disagreed.  I often wonder if GF is an influence for good or bad, and maybe a reason for less guitar work on MK albums.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:56:51 AM by Banjo99uk »

Love Expresso

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:12 AM »
There is only one single "mondegreen" case I personally can think of, because the MK lyrics are always the first to look at when a new album is out, so there cannot be the case of (acoustical) misunderstanding. However, when "Shangri-La" came out, because of some unexpected and further unnamed circumstances (  ;D ) I was able to listen to the album a few weeks before the official release, and when I heard "Back To Tupelo" for the first time, there was no doubt (for me) that MK sang

It's a WASTE to go, back to Tupelo

Even when the album was out, I had no need to check because for me it was so clear. Took me some time to realize that indeed he was singing

It's A wayS to go, back to Tupelo

And telling you what? I still don't get the meaning of "A wayS". I mean the singlular A and the s at the end. What does it mean? Is is the same meaning as

"It's hard to go back to Tupelo", or is it "It's a possibility to go back to Tupelo"...   The whole interpretation of the lyrics of this song are still unsure because of this line. Who is saying that? The Colonel? And is the LYING DUTCHMAN another word for the Colonel?? Questions, questions,

::)

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
i am pretty sure the lying dutchman is the colonel, elvis's crooked dutch manager.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 45 queries.