Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fall 2012 tour with Bob Dylan  (Read 29613 times)

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
Re: Fall 2012 tour with Bob Dylan
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »
Wonderful :)

I posted this in the 2011 section as well :)  :lol

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
like your avatar shooting star, who are they?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
like your avatar shooting star, who are they?

Just one post Pottel and you will get to the magic number  ;D
So Long

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
No man, not me, not doing it damnit!!  :disbelief

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
Best post ever TWM.  I can't stand when Americans start stealing our language then start changing it and use their manipulation of the world media (including films/movies) to make it their own.  Same goes for the date thing; dd/mm/yyyy if you please.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
The Angles, Saxons and Jutes can't stand when Britts start stealing their language then start changing it and use their manipulation of the old world media (including manuscripts/plays) to make it their own. :lol

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »
Best post ever TWM.  I can't stand when Americans start stealing our language then start changing it and use their manipulation of the world media (including films/movies) to make it their own.  Same goes for the date thing; dd/mm/yyyy if you please.

We declared our independence in 1776. Are you guys still bitter about it?  ;D
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »
You did indeed, Dan, but please don't get me on the subject of your early history.  As with so many early histories (ours included), there are myths and half-truths and small historical acts that are blown out of proportion. There were spin doctors, then, too. I have been to Jamestown, and to Monticello and Mount Vernon,  I have visited Congress, I've been round the White House, I have visited your Supreme Court. I have even been round Benjamin Franklin's house in London. Years ago, I spent a whole summer in New England.

As for the English Language, it is a mongrel beast but something quite wondrous in my view.  The English language is a fusion of source langauges. It is eminently flexible. It absorbs, borrows, invents and steals with little regard for life's niceties. It is a higgledy-piggledy language. Within these relatively small islands, there is a myriad of dialects, different turns of phrase, local words that don't travel far (fewer of any of these than there one were) and I haven't even begun to consider regional accents and the effect those have on words, word usage and sentence construction. To quote Melvyn Bragg at the start of"The Adventure of English"The way in which a few tribal amd local germanic dialects spoken by a hundred and fifty thousand people grew into the English Language spoken and understood by about one and a half billion people has all the charateristics of a tremendous adventure". For us in Britain, American English, however pervasive through commerce, modern technology and the media, is but one branch of a language rooted in these isles.

And, anyway (as I wrote in the Millennium issue of a Dylan newsletter I once put out) who knows whether English will continue to be the predominant language amongst the peoples of the United States?

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
When studing english I was teach that Theater and Theatre was exactly the same, but for british and US english...
So Long

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
When studing english I was teach that Theater and Theatre was exactly the same, but for british and US english...
exactly what i heard as well....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
"Theatre" is the spelling that is used in Britain, without exception to the best of my knowledge. I have referred to "The London Theatre Scene - Seating plans" (5th edition, 1993, as published and produced by Frank Cook Publictions) and there is not a single theatre listed that does not use the spelling "theatre".

"Theater" is American English, although some theatres in the United States do use the spelling "theatre" in their names.

In Canada, "theatre" is much more common. In fact, I can't think of a theatre in Canada that uses the "theater" spelling (see: http://www.theatrecanada.com/index.shtml) but I guess there may be a few here or there.

Dylan Thomas, referring to eminent Brits engaged on lecture tours of the United States, commented about them being "up against the barrier of a common language". The wording may have been his but the concept is much older. The phrase most commonly applied is, "two nations divided only by a common language", though it has proved very difficult, not to say impossible, to pin down who first said this. Oscar Wilde did express the idea but not in those words. Anyway, I'm sure you'll get the idea.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:50:11 PM by twm »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

The phrase most commonly applied is, "two nations divided only by a common language", though it has proved very difficult, not to say impossible, to pin down who first said this. Oscar Wilde did express the idea but not in those words. Anwyay, I'm sure you'll get the idea.

This phrase came to mind when I read one of the tracks on the new album "I Used To Could", but I couldn't remember who said it.  Thanks, twm for reminding me!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:18 PM »
Hope to have some new News Monday :)

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 09:10:32 PM »
Hope to have some new News Monday :)

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!!!!
So Long

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.